NOD32 2.12.2 unveiled

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Marcos, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Due to problems with certain websites displayed incorrectly, we decided to leave ‘higher compatibility’ mode set for all applications by default. This will definitely eliminate potential problems displaying websites. However, given the principle IMON works in this mode, viruses may slip through IMON if a particular application supports download resume. At any rate, even in that case AMON would detect the infected file and block further malicious actions.

If you have come across the aforementioned issue, please set your browser to Higher compatibility mode manually, or uninstall NOD32 and install version 2.12.2 available on our website for download.

We would appreciate if you could set your browser to 'higher efficiency' mode and, if you encounter a problem opening certain websites, email support@nod32.com and provide us with the exact URL address so that we can figure out why the issue occurs.

For more information on differences between active and passive mode and potential risks that stem from both modes, please read the description below:

Passive (compatible) mode:

Description
    IMON running in passive mode stores a copy of each downloaded file while each received packet sends out directly to the application (browser). When the end of the file is detected, the whole file is checked for viruses and the local copy is subsequently deleted.

Side effects
    Given the principle of work in this mode, IMON can only partially intercept incoming file by terminating the connection before sending out the last fragment of the file. In case the browser allows fragmented file downloading, it can request the missing fragment from the HTTP server resulting in that IMON will become ineffective. Therefore, IMON has mostly a notification function in passive mode.

Usage
    This mode is suitable for applications with a little probability of downloading a malicious code, applications which utilize the HTTP protocol only as a facilitating mean and are not primarily intended for downloading files (e.g. on-line multimedia players). Other application categories requiring passive mode are various download managers/accelerators which utilize the HTTP protocol in a specific way not usually compatible with active mode of the HTTP scanner.

Active mode

Description
    In active mode IMON stores each downloaded file. The main difference is that no file fragment is sent to the application during the download process. The whole file is sent to the application after it’s been checked for viruses. In case the file contained a malicious code, an html page informing the user about the infiltration is sent in place of it.

Side effects
    Using the HTTP scanner in active mode may have several side effects resulting from the way of checking. Given that the whole file is received by IMON first and then, after it’s been checked, sent to the application, the application will not provide accurate information on the download progress. That’s because no data is coming from the application’s point of view (the phase when the file is being downloaded by IMON) and the whole file will be delivered at once. The difference is noticeable especially when downloading larger files.
    So that the user can see the current download progress, a small IMON’s window will show up after 5 sec. in the lower-right corner of the screen. Right-click the window to invoke a context menu to display detailed information on download progress, terminate download or switch to passive mode. For proper functioning of some types of applications active mode is not suitable (e.g. multimedia players which need to know the beginning of a file before the whole file is actually downloaded or applications which utilize the HTTP protocol in a specific way such as download managers). For such applications, it is necessary to set passive mode.

Usage
    Active mode is intended for applications of which primary role is downloading files and html web pages from the Internet (e.g. web browsers). IMON running in active mode can, in most cases, prevent malicious code from entering the computer. Under certain circumstances, a malicious code can slip through IMON even if working in active mode (e.g. if the download process is interrupted and the browser sends out a request to download the missing file fragment, IMON will not get the file in its entirety and is unable to check it).

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thanks Marcos.

3. Clark

Clark Guest

Just wondering, the ONLY difference between v2.12.1 and v2.12.2 is the change of the default configuration of the compatibility setup of the http scannero_O
    Thanks in advance.

4. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

That is also my question. I have changed the setting so if thats all the new version does I'll hold off.

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It would be nice if you, Marcos, open a Thread to the users report the websites and the others try to see if happens too...

6. If you have come across the aforementioned issue, please set your browser to Higher compatibility mode manually, or uninstall NOD32 and install version 2.12.2 available on our website for download.

We would appreciate if you could set your browser to 'higher efficiency' mode and, if you encounter a problem opening certain websites, email support@nod32.com and provide us with the exact URL address so that we can figure out why the issue occurs.

------------

I'm confused. Which is it exactly you would like to be set manually......You talk about setting to higher compatibility mode and then the next paragraph states to set it to higher efficiency!

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Just Observing,

after install the 2.12.2, they want that we set the browsers to "higher efficiency" manually...

[EDIT:] If we want to test it, off course... :D

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I wouldn't have thought so...

If after you download 2.12.2, which now has everything set to "Higher Compatibility" by default, you still come across a problem website, then try manually setting IMON to "higher efficiency" as well forward a email to support...

This is how I read it...

Cheers :D

9. Due to problems with certain websites displayed incorrectly, we decided to leave ‘higher compatibility’ mode set for all applications by default. This will definitely eliminate potential problems displaying websites

------------------

Then why is 2.12.2 now set to DEFAULT to Higher Compatibility when after installing it, they want to change the setting back to Higher Efficiency? He stated in the first paragraph that it would eliminate potential problems with the browser in the Compatibility modeo_Oo_Oo_O??

10. Marcos

What I meant was: if you have encountered a problem with displaying particular websites, switch your browser to Higher compatibility mode. If you do not mind problems displaying certain websites or haven't had a problem with that yet, you can set your browser to higher efficiency and report any problems you'll find to support. Or, better, I'll create a new thread as Vampiric Crow suggested where you can post links to websites which do not open in higher efficiency mode properly.

11. Yes, I understand that. However, it doesn't read that way to me. He says in the 1st paragraph that the compatibility mode is supposed to HELP the browser display better..........if you encountered a problem, why would you set it to another setting that is supposedly worse off than the other?

12. Blackspear

Good idea, can you make it a "Sticky" then websites can be posted, and when fixes are made, replied to as such...

13. Marcos,

Never did see a reply about the premature scanner/cleaner window closing bug......that "fix" that was supposed to be included "several" days ago. Is that fix in this release?

14. Marcos

Please contact support@nod32.com and enclose the information on installed NOD32 from your control center. If you can identify the particular file which causes the scanner to terimanate, please enclose it as well.

15. That info was posted here, on this website, at your request!

Why can't you answer this question? Was that fix, that you stated was "included several days ago", in this release?

I don't appreciate paying Eset to beta test their software! Was this issue resolved or not?

16. Marcos

Sorry, but it's hard for us to figure out the cause without your help. You simply described your problem here and put system info into another thread. You refused to contact the Eset's support officially as well as figure out what file causes the problem which hasn't been reported by anyone since the latest archive module was released. Also, we would need to get the appropriate file with the archive module from you so that we can check and make sure it's not corrupted and it's indeed the latest version. As I have already said, how can we do that without further input from your side?

17. It was also reported by Blackspear. As already stated, ALL of the version info was posted into another thread. You are the one choosing to ignore this problem. That is also my experience with sending items to the email address that you've given.....this issue has also been discussed many times before here.

I for one am thru with Eset and will not be renewing my 7 licenses in November.

18. Blackspear

Mate, why not try sending an email to the address posted, if you don't hear from them in 48 hours, post back here and give them some curry. But fairs fair, let's give them a chance, this is a new beta; some would say release ;)

19. Nope. Sorry, I'm done and will not be visiting this forum again. I have used this product for the last 4-5 years. I actually ordered it over the phone with Larry McJanet! Those days of "good" customer support are gone. I have sent emails to this address before. They have ALWAYS gone unanswered/ignored. Recently we had a discussion about this email address and who exactly gets it/answers it. That problem is still continuing as far as I'm concerned.

I will NOT be renewing my 7 licenses for this product and will spend my money elsewhere.

20. Blackspear

That's a pity, sometimes in order to get a problem solved it requires persistence to the point of being pigheaded, I to do not have a great faith in that email address, however in this case you have been asked to send an email, and I would think that if you did not have a reply within 48 hours then giving them some curry in an open forum like this would hopefully get the attention you deserve...

21. Tempest

Tempest Registered Member

Is there any reason to uninstall the (special) BETA version I was pointed to a couple of weeks ago that fixed the AMD64 XP SP2 Networking killing problem ?

Is this just the same version as that beta, but official ?

I ask as I'm having no probs with what I've got.

22. RASD

RASD Registered Member

It´s working fine. the HTTP function is great

23. joffy

joffy Registered Member

Tech Support told me that the 2.12.3 update was to be released today, 31st.

24. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Hmm ... did they say when today or what was to be fixed in it?

25. joffy

joffy Registered Member

They said sometime in the afternoon [uk] and hopefully it will fix problems viewing certain sites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.