NOD won't update/can't update?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Carbonyl, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

This morning when I stared my computer, I was a little perplexed when NOD didn't update its definitions. When I checked them, it was stuck at the 4610 definitions, even though the Threatsense website showed 4612 as the latest version.

I tried to manually update the definitions, but not only did the update link in the update pane say "Update unnecessary", but clicking it did nothing. It was as if it weren't even checking to see if updates were available. After a reboot, I tried manually updating again. This time it did start to check, but it hung on the 0/0 progress bar, and then wouldn't respond to requests to abort. Eventually it timed out, and now my update pane has a big warning on it saying "Virus Signature Database Update Failed".

Can anyone please provide advice? I just did a full system scan yesterday (along with a full MBAM scan), and they both came back clean. I'm not sure if this is malware blocking update attempts or what, but any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Note: I'm using Win 7 Professional, and NOD 32 v4.0.437.0

Update: Looking at the open Ekrn.exe connections through TCPView shows that it's trying to connect to a variety of uXX.eset.com addresses for the update. Pinging these domains from my machine give me no response. I checked my HOSTS file, and I found nothing in there that has "eset" in it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. RyanW

RyanW Registered Member

Clear your update cache?

3. Carbonyl

Thanks, RyanW, but I admit that I don't know how to do that? If anyone can advise how, I'll give it a shot as soon as I can (at work right now, machine afflicted is at home).

Although I did just try to ping the uXX.eset.com servers from the OS X based machines where I work. They're timing out here, so it might be a server connectivity issue...

4. metalalbert

metalalbert Registered Member

Same problem here. Please advise.

5. RyanW

RyanW Registered Member

Open up eset and hit F5 for advanced, go to "Update" and click Clear next to "clear update cache"

6. metalalbert

That option is not even there in my version. I have 4.0.424.0.

EDIT: Found it, but that didn't help.

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

8. metalalbert

Ah, well it just worked. Now updated. Thanks for the help people.

9. siljaline

On behalf of everyone that takes this Forum Seriously, that values the significance of good customer support, you are welcome.

10. RyanW

RyanW Registered Member

4612 worked just fine for me on the 5 workstations I'm testing NOD32 AV on (through ERAS). Tough 4613 is out now, so I guess it's moot.

11. Carbonyl

I am unfortunately still unable to contact any uXX.eset.com servers. I additionally still see 4612 as the most current update available on ThreatCenter.

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but won't I still need to download 4612 (both parts) before moving up to 4613? So if the split nature of 4612 is causing problems, how can I alleviate this?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  12. siljaline

Have you tried SOL # 2206 ?

13. Carbonyl

I will try this as soon as I can. Thank you for the tip!

14. metalalbert

Uhm, don't know if this is meant in a sarcastic way or not, but I actually am grateful. What I did was clear the update cache, reboot my computer and then it worked. Guess I should have told what I did :)

Still updating fine at the moment btw.

15. Carbonyl

Given the packet loss I'm seeing from a variety of different computers on different ISPs when trying to ping u20.eset.net, I'm wondering if this might be a server-side issue? I've pasted a just-ping report below to illustrate what I mean:

http://i33.tinypic.com/9s6ohg.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.