NOD + WinXP = system freeze

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Scytale, Aug 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scytale

Scytale Guest

I've got a brand spanking new install of XP (installed yestarday - version with the 1a service pack included) and when I install NOD, it causes a hard freeze before it's finished loading. Everything is unresponsive (including mouse, ctrl-alt-del). I had to boot to safe mode to uninstall it. Once NOD is unistalled, my OS operates normally. I get the following message in the log for NOD (when I use safe mode):

Error while scanning operating memory. Operating memory cannot be scanned. An Error occured while loading nod32m1.vxd file or during communications with the testing service.

The only errors I see in my System/APP logs that may correlate with this are:

1. The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

2. Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

Like I said, it's a new install. I'm running Outpost Firewall and an NForce utility at start. That's it.

WinXP (+1a)
    Athalon 2400++
    1 gb ram
    NForce motherboard (Asus)

2. Scytale

Scytale Guest

I tried not loading Outpost Firewall or the NForce Mobo utility. It had no effect. I still get a hard freeze when windows starts.

I tried accessing the control panel in NOD in safe mode, but got the error (nod32kui: Error occurred during comminication with NOD32 kernel service.)

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey Scytale

Even though Outpost Firewall been disabled from Windows Start-up Groups, it’s drivers still gets loaded at boot-up which could possibly be the culprit of your issues…

I’d suggest uninstalling Outpost and NOD32 and re-boot. Install NOD32 re-boot and see if that resolves anything…

4. Scytale

Scytale Guest

I found out what's causing it. I've got a little utility for my video card called MyIRC. It's a remote control driver for the MyHD HDTV tuner card (Macro Image - MDP 100). For some reason, as soon as I start this driver, the entire system freezes. It was originally in my startup folder...

http://www.mitinc.co.kr/mitinc/e_site/index.jsp

I didn't have any problem using this driver with NortonAV. Maybe it needs a special exclusion or something? At any rate, I'd appreciate ideas on how to make these work together. Not having anti virus software or not being able to use my tuner card is not a viable option for me. I need both!

5. Phant0m

Hey Scytale

Yea there should be an exclude Feature available in NOD32, I don’t use the Software so I can’t pen point the exact location…

6. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

That would be in the Control Center - klick on Icon in taskbar

Under Amon you can exclude the directory of the utility. To make sure check if there is any file in the drivers oder system32 folder and exclude it too

Ruben

7. Scytale

Scytale Guest

I tried the exclusion. It didn't work. Kinda makes sense because I didn't tell it to scan anything. As soon as I launch MyIRC, the system hard freezes. I don't have time to do anyting. I get the feeling that it's probably not fixable on my end. Hard freezes are pretty hard to come by on NT.

8. Phant0m

Depends if on Installation you choose "I want to start resident protection automatically" ;)
    http://www.wilderssecurity.info/images/Alternative/NOD32-v8.PNG

9. tosbsas

Did you exclude all the involved files?? And there si no Antitrojan like boclean running??

Ruben

10. Scytale

Scytale Guest

11. Scytale

Scytale Guest

Yep. All the files for the program are in one directory. But I think it doesn't rely on any others anyway. MYIRC is a small utility program which turns the COM port into an IR receiver for a remote control. It probably works at a pretty low level.

And I've got no antitrojans running.

12. tosbsas

could you try to disable imon and restart the utility again - my last idea :)--))

Thanks for your patience

Ruben

13. Scytale

Scytale Guest

It worked!

Not only that, but I can restart IMON after I start the utility and both seem to work fine.

Thanks,
    Scytale

14. tosbsas

Hey great - I am glad for you. There is people that are saying with amon set the right way you don't even need imon, cause amon would get any infected file.

Hey thats good - one more problem solved.

I don't know if you want to, but there is a feature to repair winsock within imon - you could try if it works with imon set after using that one, but I actually believe the problem is in the com port use.

Ruben

15. Scytale

Scytale Guest

Well, I tried the winsock repair thingy and it didn't seem to have any effect. I still have to stop IMON, start MyIRC and restart IMON to prevent freezing. But, it's not exactly a hassle to do - so it's all good for me. :cool: AMON does seem to do a pretty damn good job on its own, but I like the extra security. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I see "This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System."

16. tosbsas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.