NOD Update Failed Attempts - user not told!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by lingochard, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lingochard

lingochard Registered Member

Does anyone else get annoyed by not being alerted when Nod is unable to contact its server? I completely realize itd be annoying everytime it told you when it was unable to reach its update server...but dont you think this should at least be configurable? ie option to turn on/off notice when nod is unable to locate the server. My friend's (yes, my FRIEND'S not mine :D) computer went for 5 days without getting updates and when he took a look at the logs it stated that his password was incorrect. He went for 5 freakin days with a wrong password and nod never told him of the failed updates...weak. Not to mention that I myself get failed attempts to update aswell, although Im sorta leaning towards the fact that its only happening because there is no update available (in which case, the logs should say 'no update available', NOT 'error connecting to server'). Anyone with me on this?

2. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

I do take lingochard's point here.

I've just checked my logs to find (not for the first time) that automatic updates have stalled for two days and has required a manual update.

A configurable flashing tray icon or status popup would be helpful.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

We advise our customers the following when they collect their PC, as well we send them the same information in writing:

"Update your Nod32 anti-virus. As with ALL anti-virus programs, Nod32 can only protect you from what it knows about. New viruses are written, distributed and found daily, it is very important for you to update and check that Nod32 is being updated regularly. This is an automated function within Nod32, however, we advise that at least once a day you check and know for sure that Nod32 is actually up-to-date, just to be sure, it is a man-made program and one day it will fail, you don’t want to find out there was a problem with updating 3 months ago. This is just an additional security step to make it that little bit safer."

Nod has always popped up with a window if the UN or PW has been entered incorrectly, placing a UN and/or PW into this window is not where they are ment to go. They need to be enter into the Control Centre>Update>update>setup

The very best method to place in a UN and PW is to copy and paste.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2004
  4. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

Yes it has. But when the user name and p/w are correct and the update fails, there's no way of telling except by manual checking. I've been caught out by this in the past and now check if I haven't seen an update for a day or two. A program indicator would be a better alternative, though.

5. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

I have a problem with updates as well. I have a check set for 00.00 GMT.
    I looked and checked with the schedularer and it read "last triggered 05-08-04, 00.00.38" but did not update. I hit the updater myself and there was quite a large update, I think over 300KB. I have the task set as "Nod32 Update" :)

6. Blackspear

@ Clive T, Lingochard indicated that for 5 days Nod32 had not updated due to a password being placed incorrectly, upon installation Nod32 would have popped up the window in question and failed to update. Had further updates been available during the 5 day period, it would have popped up the same window, due to incorrect UN or PW, and again failed to update... There is a warning window...

7. Blackspear

What you are talking about here is a server failure, different issue, in this instance I agree, a server connection failure notice should be available, maybe if there are 2 in a row, this way after 2 failures you are advised there is/could be a problem, please check your connection or notify support...

8. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Thanks Blackspear, what do you mean by "check your connection"? :)

9. Blackspear

That Eset should look at a window popping up after 2 failures to say something like;

Please be advised there is/could be a problem connecting to the update servers, please check your connection or notify support...

10. lingochard

lingochard Registered Member

Actually, when you enter your username/password incorrectly and then set nod for automatic updates, the user is *not* told that the update was unsuccessful. The user is actually told when a manual update is performed/attempted, but when nod is set for automatic updates and your name is wrong....hope your on your toes.

But still, I know I know.....how dumb does someone have to be to goof up on their username/password more than once. Its not a big deal, it really isnt. Its just a thing that could maybe be changed, particularly because it seems like such a small issue that could be fixed relatively easily (ie just a little confirmation window, etc). Plus on a general level, as Blackspear mentioned, when there is a legitimate server failure, etc, itd be nice to get a heads up from the program. Once again, this could get annoying as well, but at least make it option yeah? Meaning have a setting to turn the window on or off....

Anyways I'm glad im not the only one thinking about these things haha

11. sagittarius

sagittarius Registered Member

As a NOD32 reseller, I have configured at least 50% of the 200 odd computers I have now installed in on, to send Virus and Error alerts to me. This week I have been inundated with Server connection failure alerts - some for the second and third time from the same computer. As far as I know, none of these people is aware that this has happened and it is physically impossible for me to contact all of them & warn them that their antivirus may not be up-to-date.

What's more, I was installing NOD32 on a newly configured computer this past week and it took me at 3 attempts at forcing an update manually before I finally succeeded!
    What hope have new NOD users got of knowing what's going ono_O?

Oh & btw, re lingochard's comment "how dumb does someone have to be to goof up on their username/password more than once" ... either I've cornered the market on dummies ... or based on my experience (exponentially) the world's full of 'em :(

12. Blackspear

This past week Eset seems to have had problems with their U2a.eset.com server…

We found this last week as well.

I’m a reseller also, UN and PW problems come with the territory ;)

13. sagittarius

14. Blackspear

15. sagittarius

LOL ... only just realised ... you're a "local"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.