NOD SSL scanner in conflict with latest Opera 11 build

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by vtol, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vtol

vtol Registered Member

yet in another browser development causing problems with NOD's https scanner

21-10-2010 12-00-31.png

that makes it by now 2 released mainstream browsers - FF +3.6x & Chrome +7.x - and another one in the development branch - Opera 11 - incompatible with NOD's https scanner.

hope that Eset would start looking into it early and perhaps get it fixed

W7 64bit / NOD 4.2.64.12

Virus signature database: 5550 (20101021)
    Update module: 1031 (20091029)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1290 (2010101:cool:
    Advanced heuristics module: 1114 (20100827)
    Archive support module: 1122 (20100826)
    Cleaner module: 1048 (20091123)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1022 (20100812)
    SysInspector module: 1217 (20100907)
    Self-defense support module : 1018 (20100812)
    Real-time file system protection module: 1004 (20100727)

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Click Approve so that the https traffic from that site is scanned. I tested it with eicar and it was detected. Strange that the warning does not appear on WinXP at all.

3. vtol

vtol Registered Member

that means to approve every SSL certificate the user comes across then. not sure but it clearly says the Eset is not recognised as certificate authority.

I know, it is just an alpha version of the browser, but why Eset developers are not getting in touch at this stage with the Opera developers to weed this out, without bothering the user to click and accept certificates, something if repeated too often will lower the users' guard and eventually result in clicking/accepting certificates from a malicious site - thus negating security measures and awareness.

Don't see your advice fit as feasible solution, at best a dangerous workaround

4. Ghetto_Child

Ghetto_Child Registered Member

I've been getting this result for every site I go to using Opera 10!, there's tons of this warning popping up and half of the warning the buttons in the dialog box turn greyed out & unclickable so the tab is stuck waiting for a response and I'm unable to click anything to get rid of the dialog box. My only options at that point is to close the tab and try again or press the Escape key on each dialog box with greyed out disabled buttons.

Really annoying!

5. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

Have you tried manually installing the ESET certificate?

6. vtol

vtol Registered Member

I for one did not and do not see the justification to go through all this hassle just for ssl filtering protocol to work.

as mentioned various times it is obvious that the browser developers of the various browsers, IE might be an exception, are trying to harden their products by preventing MitM certificate injection, which basically is the method used by the NOD proxy driver.

It is only logical and correct that the new generation of browsers do reject the instantly generated Eset certificate as well as recognize the broken SSL chain.

from that perspective the current NOD ssl filtering protocol model will become obsolete within a few months time, namely when O11, FF4 and C8 will be released. Safari 5.0.3 already is incompatible. leaves IE, but who knows, maybe even MS might jump on the train to improve security for their product.

it is eventually time to either develop a new model, talk to the browser developers or retire the ssl filtering protocol for browsers entirely and just leave it for the email protocols - as long as there will be no change in the various email client software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.