NOD purchase hurdles

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by HandsOff, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi, I was becoming more and more certain that NOD32 is the best solution for me, and probably most users, when the stray thought passed through my head, 'Then why don't they have a larger share of the market?' The best answer I could come up with was, 'Most people are idiots.'

Well, I think there might be another reason: 'Most people are easily discouraged.' (I'm one of the worst offenders of this rule, at least).

Anyway I want to let you know my experience so that I can perservere, and also because there may be some problem that should be resolved that could have an impact on Eset's bottom line.

I went to the NOD32 homepage, clicked purchase, was taken to a page that offered the different versions and subscription durations, and I clicked buy (for the first of about twenty tries). Well, no doubt I was hamstrung by my own security settings).

I have Firefox 1.504 and I checked that my js was enabled. I had disabled adblock and no script. I disabled the Current AV, K________, and even disabled my Firewall. Still, no luck!

I went to look at the JavaScript Console and there was a whole world of errors! (see attached).

I decided rather than continue to throw the topic out here because of the possibility that this is something that is unintended, and maybe can be fixed.

I haven't given up, I'm just taking a break!

-HandsOff

Attached Files:

2. HandsOff

Also, does this help, I clicked on one of the links to see what is said:

BTW- urchin is now google-analytics, huh?

-HandsOff

Attached Files:

3. GWA

GWA Registered Member

The first time I renewed my NOD 32 subscription, I did it on the main Eset site and had no trouble. This time, about a three weeks ago or so, I had to renew again so I went to the main Eset site and clicked on the purchase link. I, also, could not get the download link to do anything - something about Java "null" ... So, I tried going to NOD 32 USA site and ordered it (much more of a hastle, but it worked...). So I got my renewal. Just wanted to let you know that you're are not the only one - and yes, I use Fx, but tried IE and couldn't get that to work either. CHUCK

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

You can always buy from CSA (NOD32-AV), which is an Eset authorised partner:

http://www.nod32-av.com

Excellent support, and I had an extremely good purchasing experience, no problems at all. Also, CSA customers get a pre-configured NOD32 installer with Blackspear's settings. :)

5. HandsOff

Hi Firecat, that's awesome!

I suspect there is something up with that page. When I downloaded the trial I had no problem, but then that is a very different scenario.

I was thinking maybe NOD32 is only for the computer savy elite, and it was some sort of test. If you can't download it, they don't think you're good enough for NOD32. Gosh, I hope I haven't exposed a secret!

-HandsOff!

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Thank you for the problem report. ESET's web development team has been notified and the problem should be resolved shortly.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. HandsOff

No problem, Aryeh,

It stands to reason that the problem is a lot more evident on my end than yours! The good news from my standpoint is that I am now officially a NOD32 user. I actually learned quite a bit here during my evaluation and I actually look forward to getting familiar with the software!

-HandsOff!

8. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

;)

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

One post removed for review.

10. agoretsky

Hello,

Just to confirm, the link from ESET's web site to NetSuite's is a valid one: NetSuite is an ecommerce company which provides our online store.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. HandsOff

Hi-

Just to make sure that we are talking about the same link (because there are downloads on more than one page on the site the page is this one:

http://www.eset.com/purchase/index.php

for some reason I still cannot click through from clicking on the choices on the PURCHASE page.

Here is a snapshot of the exact link I mean:

-HandsOff

(Note: I was able to register, through an alternate, but its still a mystery why I can't use the link....I guess if you can find nothing wrong with it, then it must be operator error :(

Attached Files:

12. agoretsky

Hello,

Do you have any extensions or plug-ins installed with your copy of Mozilla FireFox v1.5.0.4? Also, are you using any programs to filter or otherwise act as a proxy for web traffic (htt:, https and so forth)? If so, does temporarily disabling these make any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. HandsOff

Hi Agoretsky,

I feel bad about wasting your time on this! The problem must be something blocking but I'm not sure what. I turned off no script, adblocking, and firewall filtering. I though that the original post held the clue since is looked like a logging of a js error, but maybe not. I think I even tried putting your site in the trusted zone. Maybe Eset has a list of "undesireables" and I'm on it. By mistake , of course!

-HandsOff

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Did you try an alternate browser? I highly recommend Opera.

15. HandsOff

No, but you will have noticed that another poster had had the same problem with IE.

I've sort of decided to go for broke with Firefox. As far as I'm concerned if a site does work on firefox then I don't use it. I used to try IE when FF didn't work, but then that type of site will usually not work unless you lower all of your security settings and activate active-x...

The problem is, I am not a website guru. java script is that as in Sun Java? could it be a java update-upgrade?

-HandsOff

16. agoretsky

Hello,

I am waiting to hear back from ESET's webmaster on this, but to answer your question: JavaScript is a programming language primarily used to run client-side applications inside a web browser. It is different from Java, which unfortunately has a very similar name and is often used for the same purpose.

In the tests I performed with the latest versions of Internet Explorer and FireFox I was able to access ESET's web site and place an order without any problems, so I thought it might be a problem with the security settings or software on your computer but since you disabled that, it appears to be something else.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

17. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Make sure the cache is cleared when attempting to make things work. Sometimes a security appplication modifies content to hide the scripting. The browser uses the cached copy because the website tells it that item is unchanged. With a cache clearing and preferrably a browser restart the browser is required to get a new copy and gets a fresh unmodified version.

18. HandsOff

Aryeh,

I may have something, I think I do.

even though I don't know anything about js (obviously) I decided to look at the page code just to see what I could see. I found the part of the page with the link, and I looked at the formula:

(\'http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.438708/sc.2/category.-102/it.A/id.924/.f\')

To me this does not look "symetrical", you see it goes like this:

(\'_________\')

It just doesn't look right, does it?

Then I copied the address part w/o the punctuation:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.438708/sc.2/category.-102/it.A/id.924/.f

into firefox browser window preceded by "www."

and it took me right to the purchase sight. Anyways, that suggests that it is a problem with the page doesn't it?

-HandsOff

BTW, I just clicked the link in this message, and I go straight to the purchase page, no problems!

19. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

more likely a cookie issue. Netsuite's cart is not the greatest though...

20. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Thanks very much for the link Firecat.

^Ale

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  21. MichaelJH

MichaelJH Registered Member

HandsOff,

Had the same problem with a recent renewal, and found the same solution of 'pruning' the url.

The '_utmlinker' gave some interesting results, Google was positive, but other search engines showed many problems and claims that this Google owned tracking system routes everything through their servers.

Unfortunate that the Eset store is using the '_utmlinker', but at least pruning works.

22. HandsOff

Well, of course, the problem is solved as far as my situation by the link suggested by Firecat.

If I were Eset I might consider setting it as a backup or mirror. This way the customer's needs will be met. People are forced by malware to use tighter and tighter settings. Pretty soon we won't be able to connect with anything!

-Handsoff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.