Nod not always starting up

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by JVM, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I have had recent startups where NOD 32 did not load in the system tray and I had to start it from the Start Menu! This doesn't happen every time, but it does occur occasionally. Any idea why this is happening? Is there a fix for this issue?

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    One thing you can do is to verify that NOD32 has started by checking the Task Manager. Often for reasons numerous Windows Explorer does not show and/or refresh all the systray icons when it should so you can still see if NOD32 is at work anyway. This is not an NOD32 error, rather a Windows or incompatible software issue. To clarify, this is not to say NOD32 is incompatible but there is likely some graphics or other software that is clashing with Windows Explorer.

3. JVM

JVM Registered Member

Could be a software compatibility issue because I think this whole thing started after installing Hmonitor, which monitors fan speeds, temps, etc.

Next time this happens, I will check the Task manager.

Thanks!

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This should be the Control Center not showing in the system tray sometimes . This has previously been discussed and the reason is that you may use ATI video card/drivers and your drivers are not updated . You need to update your drivers for the video card first. If this doesn't help , this is the video card and you can't do anything . Next time this happens you can contact ESET Tech Support for more information and suggestions

5. JVM

JVM Registered Member

Don't know if it makes a difference but I have an nVidia video card and drivers.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If nVidia , I haven't heard of and seen any problems with it . Have you tried reinstalling NOD32 ? Check in the Registry for start-up Run key for nod32kui.exe /WAITSERVICE.

7. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Often other programmes interfere with the system tray icons. The problem may be traced to a plethora of possibilities.

8. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I saw Nod listed in Task Manager but don't know if it was running because there was one process added when I started Nod from the Start menu. Since this is a rather infrequent thing, I am not overwhelmed with grief, but I would like to know if not being in the system tray means the program isn't running.

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , no matter you don't see it in the Sys tray , it is running and protecting . NOD32 runs as a service (nod32krn.exe) and protection you all the time . The CC is just for settings and visible alerts

10. JVM

JVM Registered Member

Ah, that is good news.

Thanks!
    :thumb:

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome !

By the way , have you tried reinstalling and then do a fresh installation of NOD32 to see if is makes a difference ?

12. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I use Blackspear's settings. The problem of Nod occasionally not starting up in the system tray began after I installed Hmonitor (runs at startup), which is software that monitors fan speeds, temps, etc. So, I really don't think it would make a difference going through the re-installation process, though I may give it a try sometime soon

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , then have you tried removing this newly installed software and see some days if it makes difference

14. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I could but since NOD is working even though sometimes it's not in the system tray, I can leave things as they are.

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , NOD32 is protecting you and will not allow a threat to run but it is always better to have everything in the best possible condition . Since this happended from installing this software , you can try without it . That is my opinion . The final choice is yours ;)

16. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

It is not uncommon for icons to not appear in the system tray with XP. Not sure of the exact technical cause, but it has something to do with the speed at which XP loads.
    To see if this is the case here, just log off and back on again and see if all sys tray icons are there. If thay apprear ok after re logging on then you just have to remember to wait a little while as your computer boots up before you log on in future.

Trev.

17. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I have waited but it doesn't always show up, probably an issue with Hmonitor that runs on start up to monitor fan speeds, temps, etc

18. BerserkerPup

BerserkerPup Registered Member

I've had that problem occasionally with the systray icon not showing up. it seems to depend on the current version of NOD32 being used. For a while it'll show automatically, and at other times I'm using Task Manager to make sure it's running.

So, I just enabled the splash screen - then I know the program is starting up, no matter what is showing in the systray. :cool:

19. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

The answer to this can be located in the Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs thread under the heading of: Icon isn't showing in the system tray.

Cheers :D

20. Webby

Webby Registered Member

Hi all,

I had this this problem of NOD32 starting up real slow.... and I mean real slow. I mentioned this to my friend who is in IT and as far as I know on my PC he gave NOD32 a static ip address so it does not have to go searching the machine.

That worked for me and I hope this info may help others.

Please don't quote me on any of this as I'm no techie, thats what I undersood he has done.

Cheers Webby

21. JVM

JVM Registered Member

I disabled cftmon on start up in msconfig and so far NOD is showing up regularly in the system tray. While it's only been a few days, I am encouraged :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.