NOD no longer shows splash screen

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Joliet Jake, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

and the icon no longer appears in the task bar. Navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and NOD isn't there.
    Funny thing is Comodo firewall has gone, the two direction arrows for an internet connection and a few other things have gone too.

In Process Explorer, NOD kernel is still running.

Wassup?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Could you please try the following:

Download a fresh copy of NOD32.

Uninstall your current version and reboot

Remove the Eset folder from C Drive> Program Files

Install the fresh copy of NOD32 that you downloaded above using "Typical" settings when asked.

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

3. DON23

DON23 Registered Member

Same thing here. Very strange behaviour. There was an upgrade on the NOD soft and this happens since then. It is the fresh copy that started all this. 2.51.26 has a bug i think.

BlackSpear your recomendation does not do it. I even formated recently and NOD does it again. The strangest thing is that when i use newsreader software, cpu usage of NOD increases so that the pc strugles to cope. All this since last update

NE

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Not possible . I have always used the latest versions of NOD32 , so I am with 2.51.26 for some months and I have had no problems with it + none of my clients have said something like that

I formatted and reinstall in Saturday,to be honest,so I installed NOD32 immediately after Windows :) I also use newsreader and everything is fine

Maybe you should contact the TechSupport for more help + send them a HiJackThis log of your computer .
    support(at)eset.us
    www.eset.com/support

where (at) means @

5. Joliet Jake

Thanks Blackspear, that sorted it. It obviously isn't a NOD specific problem on my machine as I lost a few other apps from my task bar.

Cheers...

JJ:cool:

6. Blackspear

My please Mate.

7. DON23

DON23 Registered Member

:thumb: bLACKsPEAR

Fixed as well

8. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

I sware you have a macro setup for this reply or something. :)

9. Blackspear

Word Doc actually ;) :D

10. CyGho

CyGho Registered Member

About a week ago I had the same thing going on on my laptop. No NOD32 in the systray, no Outpost etc. A check with Autoruns learned that the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run was empty. Strange...
    So I did a reïnstall of NOD32, enabled normal startup again for Outpost. But after every reboot the run key was empty again.

Looking more carefully in Autoruns showed another entry in some run key of the registry, can't remember the exact path though witch started a program I didn't see before. I also don't remember the name of it (something like updtxxxxx.exe) but was located in the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Components. A search on google didn't give mutch info, only a link to some forum with a hijackthis log)
    I checked on my main PC but the file was only on my laptop alltough the setup (including updates) is almost identical. Also the registry key witch started the program wasn't in the registry of my main PC.

To make a long story not longer: I deleted the registry entry on my laptop and the exe file, rebooted and everything stayed normal and it stayed like that.
    So I think in my case, the empty run key and therefor less icons in the systray had something to do with that trange program. Sorry I don't have more accurate info but maybe someone else has.

11. DON23

DON23 Registered Member

I seems that our fav AV has nothing to do with the problem. By coincidence it did not happen again after NOD reinstallation. It happen again just now though. Autoruns shows nothing suspicious.

Very frustrating. It seems that the OS has actually nothing running when it happens. EICAR file not detected etc.

12. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I've seen this happen many many times (but not always) when applying updates for Nero if that helps anyone... Loses all kinds of startup entries...

Now I always backup all the startup areas before applying them just in case

Cheers :)

13. Joliet Jake

Can I ask how you back up the startup areas and how would you use this back up if the start ups became corrupted again?
    Thanks...

JJ

14. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I manually export each startup section of the registry using regedit - right click on the appropriate key and left click export. Save the file anywhere you like so long as you can remember later and use a descriptive file name.

To restore if necessary, just right click on the exported .reg file and then left click on merge

Be aware that this is not a very tidy way of doing things and is not something I normally recommend to people to be doing themselves. There may be additional cleanup required after re-importing the saved registry keys.

You can find all the normal startup sections in use on your PC by running msconfig and clicking on the Startup tab.

Wish I could tell you that you can do this all with just one click but a utility that prevents changes to the startup sections of the registry without your consent may work just as well for this purpose.

Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.