NOD hanging system on logon (XP)

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by nathan sheppard, Jul 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi - I have a client who uses NOD as their anti-virus solution. Since installation the NOD spashscreen will stay on the screen after logon for close to 2 minutes and the system will not respond.

I have tried removing all programs from startup with same results. Also have un-installed NOD and deleted the folder for a fresh installation with the same result.

PS - this pc is XP home.

2. sig

sig Registered Member

There is always some hang when NOD first starts up and starts scanning. It was noticeable with NOD 1 on my old PII box with W98, but certainly nothing like 2 minutes.

On a decent recent model PC with sufficient RAM and XP, it shouldn't take but a few moments at most. What are the PC's specs? (I only ask because some people do run XP on what I would consider underpowered PC's.)

Sorry I can't provide any real insight on this....I have the system hang on shut down. ;)

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,

the splash screen may stall only in case that the nod32krn service cannot be loaded at Windows startup. I recommend that you check in the Control panel - Administrator tools - Services whether the aforementioned service is running, otherwise, please try to run it manually. If it does not help, please contact our support at support@nod32.com for further advice.

4. Thanks Guys - sorry for my delay on reply.

First - yes the machine is very decent spec'ed, PIII etc.

And secondly, I have contacted NOD support with a responce saying 'not my problem'. So I didn't thing that was very good responce for a paying customers problem. But thankyou for the above, I will check the services with my client very soon!

5. sig

sig Registered Member

"And secondly, I have contacted NOD support with a responce saying 'not my problem'. "

Oh I really hope there was more to it than that or perhaps a language issue misshaping the response from ESET support, since that is precisely the kind of response from a vendor that lets me know my custom isn't particularly valued. As a result I usually take my business elsewhere. :doubt:

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

(Please understand that the following is only my opinion based upon limited experience.)

Believe it! Unfortunately this is not the only example of a great product with so-so tech support. Witness NAV and Pc-cillin, great products (in my opinion) but with lousy tech support. I only contacted NOD tech support once and the response was laughable. Fortunately, I believe that this forum in some way is also considered part of NOD tech support (someone correct me if I am wrong) and here, at least, is where a paying customer will probably get real help.

Acadia

7. sig

sig Registered Member

Well I was trying to give ESET email support the benefit of the doubt, Acadia. ;)

My one experience with Symantec's AV support, for example, was such that after years of using their product that was the final impetus that really motivated me to try another product.

But I agree, this forum has provided an excellent venue for support issues to be raised and addressed, either peer to peer when possible or by ESET staff.

I like it best of all of course when I never have occasion to require a vendor's support. ;) But in a case where someone is trying to solve a client's problem the alternatives are limited: either get vendor's support or get the client to use another program that does better on the client's system.

At any rate, one benefit of the forum is that one can see various issues and solutions so if a question comes up another user may be able to assist as well.

Anyway, I hope Nathan lets us know how it goes.

8. I sure will - typical, now that I have a potential solution I can't get hold of the client :p when I have some news, I'll sure post how i go :D

9. rayg

rayg Registered Member

Does your customer have IIS installed on thier system?
    Do they use a firewall?
    Does the event log show IIS hung on startup?

I have seen this happen because IIS is unable to start. The cure would seem to be to allow 127.0.0.1 as a trusted IP address - at least in Zone Alarm. Not sure if it will be applicable in your case though.

10. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Registered Member

Hi all
    I seem to be having the same prob with nod , it stalls during load up process for 1 or 2 seconds . The nod32krn does seem to be running and there isn't anything left on my comp that might interfear with it , I did a reformat last night and installed nod and only nod and it still stalls .
    Anyone have any ideaso_O??
    Win XP pro
    Nod 32 V2

thanks
    Frank

11. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Registered Member

I was mistaken , It is nod32kui.exe that is there on startup . It seems nod32krn.exe is very slow to get loaded and is causing the stall . anyone have any ideaso_Oo_O

Frank

12. theSAiNT

theSAiNT Guest

i have this exact same problem.
    i would like to have nod32 run on startup but i get an error message saying that there is an error when communicating with the nod32krn. however, this service has been set to start automatically. oddly, once windows has finished stating up (once it has finished loading all my other programs) i can manually start the nod32 control centre with no problem.
    is there any way i can make nod32 start automatically?
    i do have Zone Alarm installed but i don't have IIS.

13. mAcOdIn

mAcOdIn Registered Member

I think I know what this is.

If I'm correct it's caused either by the
    Internet Explorer August Cumulative Patch, or the august MDAC security patch.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9107abc6-8995-4a99-b6a0-478b3a847e9c&DisplayLang=en
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/822925/default.asp

I had NOD32 working excellent until the day these two updates appeared on windows update. I know that it was one of these two because I had just booted up fine with nod32, downloaded these two updates, and from that point on couldn't use NOD32. I forgot about it because that same day I got accepted to the microsoft PC satisfaction beta which has an antivirus program so I just uninstalled NOD32 and forgot about the issue.

The problem is though while the August internet explorer update is removable the MDAC update is not, so if it's the MDAC update that kills nod32 we seem to be screwed, because we can't do anything outside of a system restore, repair install, or format.

I don't use system restore and don't wanna rebuild my system so I never tried to find out which of those two windows updates causes it but I know it's one of them.

Edit: And just to be sure were talking about the same thing we're talking about:
    Nod 32 installs fine and prompts you to reboot. Immediately after windows begins to load it will freeze with the NOD32 splashscreen showing on wondows, and never get past that point making windows unusable.

That the same thing you get?

14. theSAiNT

theSAiNT Guest

erm...
    i'm not sure if i'm speaking for everyone here but that's not quite the exact problem for me.
    i installed nod32 fine and it reboots and all.
    i disabled the splash screen on startup option.
    however, windows does take ages to start up and it gives an error message:
    nod32krn unable to communicate with service
    something along those lines.
    but then windows is useable.
    and the weirdest thing is that after that i can manually start up nod32.
    i suspect it's something to do with the sequence of the nod32krn service startup.
    is there a way of rearranging it?

i don't think i've applied either of those patches on my computer either...
    but i'll check...

15. Vinnie

Vinnie Registered Member

Just been reading this thread with curiosity and some dismay with the authors response from Eset.

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones. First of all I recently switched from 2k to XP pro and have no problem with NOD on this. It start up fine and fast, The splash screen comes on for about 2 seconds then its ready to go about a second lag while the firewall then starts up and Turtle Beach drops into the system tray.

Is there a posibility that you got too many things starting up. Its just a question t provoke investigation of this.

I got 80 gigs already full on my system and only 8 things starting up only because I have granted permission to them.

There may be the possibility that if so many things are vying to start up all at once there may be a software incompatability problem that is causing this slowness.

Its worth having a look in the start-up to see whats going on in there.

As for Eset and their response again I feel lucky as I have had no problem with them and they have generally answered questions albeit a little late but still answered them. Quite frankly I am now posting my stuff here as I seem to get it answered reasonably quickly and concisely.

Good luck with it.

16. mAcOdIn

mAcOdIn Registered Member

I'm curiouse if any of you guys got your issues resolved yet.

I still can't run nod32 because it freezes my system. I may try a format later this week and install everything sans the two patches I mentioned earlier and see if that does the trick but I'm curiouse if you other nod users have those patches and have no issues.

17. sig

sig Registered Member

I have the two updates you mentioned and don't have any start up issues with NOD, FWIW.

But everyone's system is different, so just because I don't have those problems doesn't in itself mean there's no relationship between the patches and the issues you see. Maybe yes, maybe no. Sorry, that's not much of a help.

A good place to look to see if anyone else is having issues with any patches is in one of the MS newsgroups for your OS. I rarely go there myself but you might want to browse the MS newsgroups. They can be accessed from the MS support site as I recall either via a web interface or a link to the actual newsgroups that you can read through your newsreader (a much better option use IMO).

As for problems with programs loading at startup, I think there are ways of changing the loading order, just in case there are conflicts with other start up programs. (Although one poster still reported problems when outside of the OS only NOD was starting so in that case it's probably another issue entirely.) Unfortunately I don't recall how or what apps may be used to do that. Perhaps someone else knows.

18. theSAiNT

theSAiNT Guest

i have gone through msconfig and i have 14 items loading at startup including nod32kui...
    that's not too many is it?
    i've culled a lot of the random useless things and most of these programs i actually use now.
    i've also gone through windows services
    nod32krn is set to 'automatic' so there shouldn't be a problem with the service.
    indeed, once windows has finished starting up i can run nod32 completely fine.
    however i would really like it to startup when i boot the computer and run its resident scanner and it still seems unable to do this.
    i have been fiddling with the startup key in the registry but i don't think i can change the bootup sequence...
    it reverts to its old original sequence by itself it seems.
    i do suspect that there is a problem with the nod32krn service starting up too slowly.
    does anybody have any suggestions for this?
    or any way to make it startup first?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.