Nod cannot delete virus but I can.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by kingul, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingul

kingul Registered Member

I posted this before without any feedback.
    I am using Trial version of NOD. It found virus but could not delete items. I could delete the items manually.
    Is this a trial version issue or is NOD simply unable to delete anything?
    I certainly will not purchase NOD if it cannot delete things that I cano_O
    Email direct please
    Code:
    frankovich@kooee.com.au

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Change how nod is set to respond if infection is found from:-"offer action"to:-"disinfect/if disinfection fails delete"(set for all object types:-files ,archives,self extractors etc)

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Actually, you got a lot of feedback http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=20929

Have you tried giving Rod at Nod32 Australia a call and discussing in detail how you set up your clients computer, and exactly what happened?

I have sold around 400 copies of Nod, it works perfectly, we set up Nod after installing, to Clean, if uncleanable Delete. Every client to date, loves Nod, small updates, fast scans, protects their PC's. We also set them up with Firewalls, Malware Scanners and Malware Protection.

IMON warns upon infected mail arriving and deletes.

We advise clients to manually update Nod daily, just to check their protection is up to date and in working order, and we advise them to do a weekly scan with Nod.

Cheers :D

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

4. Blackspear

Set up for scanning

Attached Files:

5. Blackspear

More

Attached Files:

6. Blackspear

Still more :D

Attached Files:

7. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

Thank you for the pictures.
    Changed settings in my machine
    Best regards
    Itsme

8. Using deep as heuristic method AND auto clean or delete is not dangerous?
    I mean, there's a higher chance to get false positive with a deep heuristic method isn't it? So deleting a not infected file because of a false positive...

9. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I tend to agree with you there my friend, I have all detection alerts to 'propmt user action' I like to be in charge of what happens on my pc (me the only user)

10. Blackspear

I agree with you, for users of this forum and my own computer, HOWEVER, with my customers, it is hard enough getting them to daily check that they are up to date with Nod, run a weekly scan with Nod, update Spyware Blaster and install any updates, update Spyware Guard, update Spybot Search and Destroy as well as run a weekly scan, check Zone Alarm is up to date Monthly, Check Windows is up to date. And yet they have just walked into my shop with viruses, browser hijacks and Windows NOT up to date, and have asked us to fix their internet problems.

A customer 2 days ago said she would not touch the Microsoft “Updates available” notification because she thought it was a virus, having received a email from supposedly Microsoft, only to find it was a virus, this so rattled her, she did not trust anything from Microsoft.

Another lady on the same day kept saying to me, AFTER I had just gone through everything twice on how to update and use all of the above:

"So can I just go to the internet like normal?"
    My reply "No, you must update and use your new security products like I've just shown you".

"But, can I just go to the internet like normal and these products will do everything automatically?"
    My reply "No as I have just explained and demonstrated, you have to learn how to use your new security products and keep them up to date."

"Oh this is too hard, I want to go to the internet like normal."
    My reply "If you do that, you will come back to my shop and pay more money to remove the same viruses and browser hijacks that I have just removed."

She understood, but just wanted to go back to her old habits.

We also reinforce our conversations by email with every purchase of Nod, giving the same step by step instructions on what to do, that I have just personally demonstrated to them. We take the extra step to ensure they understand and are protected, it also helps my business grow with referrals.

Another HOWEVER, if with Nod I setup the "Offer action" on customers computers, we have experienced inundations of phone calls, "It's on my screen, WHAT DO I DO!" (great panic). My small business cannot handle the flood of calls. We have found it better to set Nod up to do things automatically, and should a user want to get to know their security, they go exploring and experiment with each products settings. I can count on one hand the number of customers who are in the later category, this is just reality, not my choice, but just how it is...

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  11. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Blackspear, always glad to see your attachments as it helps me and probably others to keep an eye on our set-ups, Thanks. ;)

12. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Blackspear - In the case of NOD, you are setting it up on other people's machines so that it will automatically check for (and install) updates itself at least daily, aren't you? (I have mine set to check every hour, here).

If you're not - given the penchant of your customers not bothering to do it themselves - shouldn't you?

Just curious. Pete

13. Blackspear

We are a bit off topic from what Kingul was talking about, however, think if he contacts Rod, will have his questions answered...

Hey Pete, yes I leave Nod set automatically to check for updates, and here's another HOWEVER :D I tell ALL my clients, NEVER trust automatic programs, they are man-made and one day they will fail, it's going to happen, at some point in time for whatever reason, it will fail.

We have had several clients that have gone on the internet to check emails, and come off within 1 to 2 minutes on a daily basis, not allowing updates (not sure if this was Nod or another virus program we used to sell). Another did not place in their renewal UN and PW... Yet another kept saying no to engine updates... Well you get the picture :D

So to force people into a habit and protect them from themselves, we tell everyone, connect to the internet, do NOT touch your email program, force Nod to do an update, check their other security products are up to date, then and only then do you open your email client. This way you have the very latest virus protection for the very latest emails you are about to receive. It's an extra step in your security, but you know for sure your Nod is up to date and you have the very latest protection available :D

We also take an extra step in customer relations and offer FREE teaching on saturdays if they want to learn anything, security, how to maintain their pc... anything... it is available to each and every customer who purchase a pc from my shop, though only a few actually take up the offer... Usually find that when they haven't followed my advice and haven't kept everything up to date and don't run weekly scan's, they come back in and spend more money with us, and usually at this point they want to learn, and of course we remind them that we did show them how everything worked, emailed them a follow up letter with step by step instructions, offered free saturdays... it's the old story of money being the motivator... :D You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink :D

And Itsme and ManOpeace, glad I could help :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.