Nod AV Trial cannot fix infected files.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Frank fallon, Feb 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank fallon

Frank fallon Guest

Trying NOD AV and it detects infected files but cannot do anything but I can manually delete the infected files. Does this apply to Trial Version only??
    Am going away from Norton as Live update affects Remote Procedure call, causing endless reboot which can be fixed with Winternals Admin pack and set RPC to take no action. SVCHOST may also be dameged by Norton. Norton 2003 and Client8.1 both do same damage to XP and to Win 2003 Server.

2. kingul

kingul Registered Member

Please note that Frank Fallon is now registered as kingul

3. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Welcome to wilders ;)
    Some times, AMON can't delete some infected files, for example, files from temp folders. Or if you try to execute the infected file and AMON intercept and block this, in this case is very recommend that you use NOD scanner in order to delete any infected file.
    Note: Some virus/trojans/worms can't be cleaned.

4. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

As a further note:

A Scan and a Clean perform 2 different functions within the On-Demand Scanning portion.

Scan=check your system for malware, but do not take any action
    Clean=check your system for malware and allow actions

For most people this is confusing. Why would you want to Scan and not have it clean? I have a Virus and Trojan collection that I do not want affected (no exclusions because I WANT to see them picked up ;) ).

5. sig

sig Registered Member

The trial version is fully functional.

As Sir Carew said, sometimes if a baddie is found in a temp file the AV can't delete it. Just need to delete the temp file manually. Or, some trojans cannot be deleted because they are running processes and have to be shut down first. Or some things can be removed if you boot into safe mode and run a scan from there. It depends on the particular critter found and where and what it is.

What was found, what path (location and name of file) does NOD tell you? That would help people here assist you with removal.

6. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Also, upon a "Clean", Nod will NOT delete infected email with "DBX" file extensions, as this would remove the entire folder (inbox.dbx, deleted items.dbx etc). So if there are infected items found within Outlook Express, manuel removal is required.

Cheers :D

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Just an addendum to what has already been written - NOD32 cannot perform any operation against the files within an archive either.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Here we go again with a bad design. NOD should be able to delete a single infected file in OE without deleting the entire folder. Other av can do this and have been able to for ages. NOD should also.

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

This would be a VERY helpful feature, any plans for implementation Marcos?

Cheers :D

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There is no program except Outlook Express that can intervene in an modify Outlook Express dbx files. It's not a fault of NOD32.

As to your query, it's already been discussed here in several threads. We plan to incorporate that feature in the future, however, there are other much more important things to deal with now.

To recap:
    - NOD32 scanner is capable of scanning archives internally
    - a possibly infected file will be intercepted by AMON as soon as it is extracted from an archive

In the meantime, if you need to remove an infected file from an archive, please use the relevant unpacker, or delete the entire archive.

11. kingul

kingul Registered Member

As I posted originally and to clarify the point::::
    The infection was a downloaded file which was reported by NOD as a Trojan Worm. It was D:\program name\program.exe
    I do not recall the original name.
    It was not read only or hidden and I simply deleted it.
    NOD said it could not be deleted.
    Ah! Just remembered what it was.
    D:\unknowndevices\unknowndevices.exe
    Reported as a Trojan by NOD.
    The program scans your computer and identifies unknown devices so that you can then get the appropriate drivers.
    The program did not appear to do any harm thus it may be that NOD was in error reporting it as a Trojan Worm.
    How can I justify paying for NOD and also reccomending it to my customers if it cannot delete an apparently normal folder and program that I simply deleted myselfo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.