Nod and windows firewall

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Darrin, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrin

Darrin Registered Member

Anyone here just use windows firewall? If not why?

2. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

You mean just the firewall and no other anti software?

You would not be protected! even MS realise that and provide free software like defender.

The firewall will not protect you from viri and trojans as it has no signature base and does not scan downloads just blocks ports

3. Darrin

Darrin Registered Member

My fault I didnt clarify. I mean still using nod and also antispyware but for a firewall just using windows firewall in xp. Is it just as good at blocking inbound attacks?

4. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

I use the standard Windows Firewall and I understand it is good enough for the inbound protection. I'm behind a router and that combined with the Windows Firewall does the trick for me......, inbound at least! Besides this I use Nod32 and some anti spyware programs.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm using just NOD32 and Windows XP SP2 firewall. Works great with minimum overhead on both ends.

6. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I think the key is to be behind a router with NAT. If you are in that situation, then the windows firewall with NOD32 and some other freebies will server you well.

7. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I agree. I've been using NOD32 in conjunction with the Windows Firewall for quite a while now and I couldn't be happier.

One thing I'd suggest though is to have something like TCPView handy to monitor your connections. I do this just to keep an eye on things.

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I always have networks I setup behind routers that do NAT, I don't like software firewalls. However...on these networks, I do leave the XP firewall enabled, with file 'n print sharing set as an exception, as well as needed services like remote desktop, etc if needed. As I feel that helps protect the workstations from possible infestations that can spread across networks...say if one computer on the network gets infected...it won't spread as easily.

9. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Another good little thing is: Firelog XP. For logging all traffic through Win XP standard firewall. You'll be amazed what's going on!
    Freeware!!
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html.

10. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

XP pro firewalled + NOD32
    I am behind a NAT router as well with SPI out.
    I used to use ZA before, but ditched it after getting the NAT router as nothing showed up in ZA's log at all.

This leads to the obvious question,
    Do I need the new (sometime) V3 suite.

11. Darrin

Darrin Registered Member

From my understanding my verizon modem is a router also. Would that be sufficient along with XP firewall Sp2?

12. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    If your PC has a private IP address (192.168.xxx.xxx)...then yes, it's probably a Westel unit you have from Verizon. If you have a stand alone PC, and are behind a NAT router....then really the WinXP firewall is not needed at all. As nothing is going to get past the NAT of a router from the outside...period, unless you intentionally DMZ your computer or open/forward a whole bunch of ports on the router. So if stand alone behind a NAT router...you don't need a second firewall to check incoming...as there's nothing that will get past the NAT of the router. If you have a bunch of PCs on the network..then I leave it on to protect from other PCs in case they get infected. That's really the only advantage.

However if you just have a bridge/modem from your ISP, and your PC is obtaining a public IP from them...then yes, by all means...by gosh get some sort of firewall up, after you clean your PC. Only takes a few seconds of having a public IP address to get infected.

13. Darrin

Darrin Registered Member

I have a westell Model 327W. I'll keep windows firewall enabled. I know what you mean about only taking a few seconds to get infected. My previous ISP years ago I had a basic DSL modem and before sp2. I did a fresh install of windows but left my internet connection on and all plugged in. Within a few seconds before I had a chance to enable a firewall I was hit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.