NOD 32 v3 and soft/firm fire wall?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by power_man, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. power_man

power_man Registered Member

I use NOD 32 and am very happy. I also use Zone Alarm Pro for a fire wall. Recently I bought a Linksys WRT310N router, but still use Zone Alarm for the heck of it.

I went to Upgrade to the latest version of ZA and now my installation is all jacked up....

Any way, my real question is do I even need to run a software fire wall? It is for my XP SP3 desktop and a Vista laptop. Is NOD32 sufficient to block incoming threats and leave the fire wall up to the router.

Thanks for any input.

2. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Is your WRT310N running in NAT mode? If it is then your software firewall is utterly useless since your router will only allow in what you've requested out.

3. power_man

Ilooked it up. It isn't on by default, and since I didn't know what NAT was, I know I didn't enable it. Don't know if it would be good to have it on or not.

4. jimwillsher

That's unusual, most "soho" routers have it enabled by default.

What is the IP address of your computer, is it a 192.168.x.x address, or a 10.0.x.x address?

(on Windows: Start, run, CMD <enter> then IPCONFIG <enter>

If it is, then you're using NAT.

5. power_man

Ya, it's 192. And I had to look it up when I got home. It was a filter, not NAT.

6. jimwillsher

Ok, so if your computer is a 192.x address then that's a non-routable address. That means that nobody on the internet can possibly access your PC *unless* you specifically request it (or you set up forwarding rules in your router).

So I think you're quite safe.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.