NOD 32 freezes when navigating the GUI

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have installed the final version of NOD 32 V6 by live installer today. Everything seems fine until I open the NOD 32 UI from the desktop toolbar by clicking on the NOD 32 tray icon. The NOD 32 Home window will appear in the UI. If I try clicking on one of the categories from the UI such as Computer Scan, Update, Setup, Tools, Help and Support, or Training then NOD 32 will stop responding for about 4 to 5 seconds before going to the selected category. For example: I open NOD 32 from desktop toolbar by clicking on the NOD 32 tray icon. NOD 32 will show the Home screen in the UI. If I then click on setup NOD 32 stops responding for about 4 to 5 second before it responds, and opens the setup window. At this point if I continue to click on any of the categories in the UI it will respond without incident, but if I close NOD 32's UI then the problem will reoccur once I open the UI again. I'm using Windows 7 64bit. I was using NOD 32 RC V6.0.115.0 before upgrading to the final build, and I did not have this problem.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Cutting_Edgetech

I uninstalled the previous version before installing V6. I think I may have discovered the problem. I am using the latest beta build of Online Armor, and I believe there is a conflict between the two. I have shutdown Online Armor, and the problem has not reoccurred so far. There may be a conflict between OA's HIPS, and NOD 32's HIPS. I will post back my findings. If the problem does not reoccur then I will produce a bug report for Emsisoft since i'm a closed beta tester. It's looking like a conflict between OA beta build, and NOD 32.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good find.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

I spoke too soon. The problem just reoccurred with Online Armor shutdown so it seems like it is an Eset problem. I did a complete uninstall of the previous version of NOD 32 before installing the final Version of V6 today so it's looking like a NOD 32 bug. :(

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Lotta hips there. Did you try to disable one or the other?

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, as stated above. I completely shutdown Online Armor. I'm running NOD 32 with windows Firewall now. I have completely shutdown OA, and NOD 32 still stops responding when accessing the UI. The NOD 32 UI window turns black, and in the text it says NOD 32 has stopped responding. It does this for like 5 seconds before recovering.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

ESET will probably have to help you with this since you didn't have any conflicts using the RC.

9. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm just waiting on instructions on what they need for a bug report for this. I'm going to record my desktop, and create an AVI file so they can watch a video showing what is happening.

10. Cutting_Edgetech

I will be going to sleep soon since I have to get up really early. I will check back tomorrow for instructions on what they need for a bug report, and also where to send it to.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

12. Cutting_Edgetech

It seems I have discovered the problem. It only does it when my Western Digital External HD is connected. If the drive goes into hibernation then clicking on computer scan will cause NOD 32 to stop responding, and the UI will turn solid black. Shortly after the drive comes out of hibernation NOD 32 will start responding again. It seems NOD 32 V6 has a bug in which it does not know how to deal with the external media. Instead of NOD 32 waiting until the drive responds, and then continuing to show all media devices NOD 32 stops responding. NOD 32 stops responding, and then its UI becomes a solid black window. Usually it takes about 5 seconds before the program recovers. Sometimes it takes a little longer. I did not have this problem with NOD 32 V2, 3, 4, or 5. I have tried many other security products with this machine, and drive without any incident. All evidence points to NOD 32 V6 being the problem. The drive itself is using the latest firmware available for it. I'm using Windows 7 64bit with the latest service pack. Below is a screen shot of NOD 32 not responding after clicking on computer scan. Please not the problem occurs even with Online Armor, and Appguard completely shut down. No other active security products are installed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  13. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Can you tell us the model or part number of the external Western Digital Corp. hard disk drive?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

14. Cutting_Edgetech

Re NOD 32 freezes when navigating the GUI

Here is the model # WD1000H1C8-00. I believe this is the part # 3809A. Its a 1 terabyte drive.

15. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm still experiencing this bug.

Attached Files:

16. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please create a Process monitor log as follows:
    - start logging
    - with the HD connected and being in hibernation mode, run a scan to reproduce the issue
    - after approx. 20 seconds, stop the logging
    - save the log, compress it, upload it to a safe location along with a SysInspector log and PM me the download link

17. Cutting_Edgetech

Completed. Link sent to you by PM.

18. Cutting_Edgetech

I haven't heard anything back about this issue. I just would like some confirmation that the requested info was downloaded from the link I provided, and it is being looked into.

19. Cutting_Edgetech

I still haven't heard anything from anyone at Eset o_O I will be removing the info I provided at the link now since I don't like my personal info floating around on the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.