Nod 32 and Outlook Express

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by bimbobo, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bimbobo

bimbobo Registered Member

Hi,
    after installing NOD 32 and sending a couple of mails to my Outlook Express as a test, I cannot see "any mail" in the list of file scanned..
    Then I read that NOD 32 cannot scan Outlook Express and I have to set IMON to do the job, checking port 110 and also 995 (Gmail)..

How can I see if NOD is now setup correctly..?

I would like to be sure that at least the received mails are "scanned".

Thanks in advance and regards

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

NOD32 does not scan outgoing emails (only EMON for MS Office Outlook) . However , this is not needed as AMON scans all files on-access .

IMON scans POP3 mail but port 110 only , it cannot scan encrypted email like Gmail's using port 995 .

If you use Outlook Express with Gmail , IMON will not be able to scan them . Only AMON will scan your mail/attachments on-access

If AMON is enabled , you cannot get infected . If you use Gmail (I use it ,too) - Google have their own antivirus and anti-spam filters and Gmail won't deliver SPAM or infected messages to your mailbox (via POP3)

3. bimbobo

One word = THANKS

I have 1 more question... is there a place in the forum where to find a good suggestion about how to configure NOD 32?

I use standard settings, but maybe you can suggest another configuration, without though a lot of unnecessary warnings, false positive, and blocking of other "stuff", like Alcohol and other tools. :)

Regards

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Have you...looked at the sticky thread right at the top of this forum?

5. bimbobo

Yes, I did, but it seems a very "high" security level..
    Last time I tried with other AVs and increased at higher level, I was constantly interrupted and had false positives.

I know NOD does not have many... but what is "the bad" using the "recommended" default settings.., and what "MUST" be changed to a decent level, not a paranoid one :D ?

Regards

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome !

As YeOldeStonecat pointed out , the Sticky "Extra settings" by Blackspear is great way to learn more about NOD32 . However , if you feel it is difficult for you , no problem .

There is nothing wrong/nothing bad in the default configuration of NOD32 , only the fact that when threat is found , it will pop-up and let you know or rarely ask for confirmation . Using the default settings , use the "In-depth analysis" scan profile (from Control Center -> NOD32) when doing manual scans

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You won't have an issue with any of those settings.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.