Nod 32 and firewalls

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by leebob, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leebob

leebob Registered Member

I have a question regarding NOD 32AV. I have been shopping around for a new AV and firewall and have read posts about NOD 32 not " cooperating " with certain firewalls. Does it work well with Norton firewall? If not, please let me know of a good one it will work good with.Thanks in advance for the assistance.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi leebob, welcome to Wilders.

I always setup ZoneAlarm (Free) or Look n Stop if the client wants a paid version alongside NOD32 , both firewalls are simple to use.

Cheers :D

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I would propose the idea that Norton doesn't work very well with NOD. As Blackspear said, NOD works very well with ZA free and LnS, I have used it with those two as well as Sygate Pro and free, the Windows Firewall and now Outpost Pro with no problems. There are also people on the forums here using it with Jetico, Comodo, Ghostwall, Tiny and many others I might have missed.

The only problems I am aware of with NOD and firewalls relate to the LSPs that NOD uses in IMON interfere with some firewalls that also use LSPs. ZA products use them when you enable IM protection. This function isn't available in their free version. Additonally, Eset is moving away from using IMON in their next version, or at least they are changing how they scan http traffic anyway.

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

My experience is that other products don't co-operate with NOD32 - I do not see it the other way around! ;)

I've seen instances of the Norton Firewall blocking web access on ports other than 80 and 443 - ie, control panels for web hosting - and as we're in the web hosting business, and Norton has blocked well known control panels, such as cPanel - consider Norton to be inferior and shoddily coded. Plus, our experience is that it's bloated and slows things down un-necessarily.

This depends on your situation. If you're behind a firewall built into a broadband router, then updating your firmware and running the windows firewall can be sufficient.

If you want more protection, then Zonealarm or agnitum are good. I hear great things from regulars here and elsewhere about look-n-stop and sygate personal was reasonable too.

hth

Greg

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Norton's firewall works with nothing !!! It is really stupid firewall , by the way .
    It automatically blocks Norton processes , hate it ...

Windows Firewall or ZoneAlarm ;)

6. esco673

esco673 Registered Member

hi, @Blackspear
    I heard a test about firewalls.
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php
    The results for Zone Alarm Pro is good (19,5/27) but for free version not good (4/27) In free firewalls, Jetico seems better. What do you think about that?
    thanks...

7. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

There`s a new build of Comodo coming out tomorrow you should give that a try too.

8. Blackspear

Hi esco673, welcome to Wilders.

To further discuss firewalls please ask this question in the Other Firewall Forum as we are in the "NOD32 Support Forum" ;) :D

9. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I think there is even already a thread asking that same question there.

10. rothko

rothko Registered Member

my Outpost license ran out recently, and as much as i like Outpost and it plays very nicely with NOD32, i don't want to renew if the Eset Suite is due sometime soon (ie within a year).

lee

11. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I haven't used NOD yet, but am definitely interested in it.....and I've heard talk of this, but is this just speculation at this point, or more of a fact? And if they do "move away" from IMON, what will they incorporate to replace it....and will it be considered an "upgrade" or a "downgrade" by doing away with IMON? From my perspective, it seems like kind of a necessity that they may be doing away with, in all honesty.....

12. Blackspear

Fact, told to us by Marcos.

An upgrade, this is Eset we are talking about ;) :D

Whatever the solution they have, it will be better than what they currently use.

13. proll

proll Registered Member

I think ZA pro is a good choice.
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:5.5.094.000 is just comfortable choice.:-*

14. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There will be a suite available that includes a firewall communicating with all other NOD32 modules, and thus improving proactive detection capabilities of ThreatSense even more. In the mean time, you can use a 3rd party firewall. I'm aware of problems with NVidia firewall only, but it is said that it collides with many other software.

15. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

SunBelt's Kerio Firewall works good on one side of my dual boot and old Sygate free on the other works good also. :D

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I recommend Sygate or GhostWall.

17. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I've used Look n' stop, kerio & sygate...

18. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

Can you tell us if this version will be compatible with Win9x? Sorry if this is considered hijacking, but I'd really like to know.

I use Kerio 2.1.5 without problems with NOD32.

19. cdr

cdr Registered Member

I have been using NOD32 with Look 'n Stop firewall, and they work beautifully together. I have had no issues whatsoever come up with these two. IMO, they are a great team!:)

20. BetterIT

BetterIT Registered Member

Looknstop or Kerio 2.1.5 Free or paid have been fine & test ok + are easy to confugure for home networks compared to others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.