Noctua NH-U9B-SE2 Performance CPU Cooler

Discussion in 'hardware' started by DVD+R, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Not bad with the temps there but then again that's a nice cooler for the job. You gotta have good cooling and sometimes not just for the cpu. How quiet is it?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

True, I also have 6 blue LED fans installed 1x120mm rear exhaust 2x120mm top exhaust 1x120mm bottom intake 1x240mm front intake 1x240mm side intake

Here you go: :)

Model
    Brand: NoctuaModel: NH-U9B SE2

Spec
    Type: Fan & HeatsinksFan Size: 92mmCompatibility:Intel LGA1366, LGA1156, LGA775
    AMD AM2, AM2+, AM3 (backplate required)Bearing Type: SSORPM: 1000 - 1600 RPMAir Flow: 24.2 - 37.87 CFMNoise Level: 7.9 dBA - 17.6 dBAHeatsink Material: Copper (base and heat-pipes), aluminium (cooling fins), soldered joints & nickel plating

Physical Spec
    Fan Dimensions: 92 x 92 x 25mmHeatsink Dimensions: 125 x 95 x 120 mm (with fan)Weight:without fan: 460 g
    with 1 fan: 550 g
    with 2 fan: 640 g

Edit: Also updated the OC Current O/C is set at 4.80GHz I'm not sure hoe far I could actually push this? but I think 4.80 is pretty much all I'll need, What do you think?

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w373/zepzeppelin/b6811c6b.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  4. Should of gone with a Corsair Hydro H80/100 IMHO. Water cooling is where it's at!

Noctua make great stuff though,I'd of gone for the DH-14 pure power! I believe their Austrian made brand too!

5. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

What are the max temps you get when running Prime95, IntelBurnTest etc. @4.8Ghz?

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nice buy there, my stock Intel heatsink has been working great for 5 years also. :D

7. philby

philby Registered Member

Hi DVD+R

I have the SE2 as well - very quiet and excellent temps.

Only problem when I did my build was that I couldn't get the wire clips to hold it on as securely as it must surely need to be...there must be a knack...? I've got them on as per the instructions, but they seem to come off too easily...

The stock cooler on the CPU (i5 2500K) was buzzing all the time :rolleyes:

philby

8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

The clips got me wondering at first, but it's really easy when you know how :)

on the sides of the cooler are long narrow grooves, this is where the clip slots into, place the length of the clip into the long narrow groove, make sure you turn it on the side so that the ends of the clip have the u shape pointing towards the fan screw holes. you want to push the u shape ends of the clip over onto each corner of the fan, so the u shape clicks into the fan screw hole. do this for 2 top and 2 bottom of each fan: this picture shows what I mean, follow the picture and you cant go much wrong, of course this a vertical view, but horizontal is exactly the same

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.ph...=com_gallery&Itemid=96&include=view_photo.php

http://www.bcchardware.com/index.ph...=com_gallery&Itemid=96&include=view_photo.php

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  9. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

May I ask what the ambient temp is? 'Cos I'm really envious :blink: Room temps back here are usually around 30's already.

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

In my Computer room right now it's 17.5c at 9am beginning of spring

13. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Idle temps are in the 40s range.

Point is the relative difference when adding more fans is not always better. Their findings show 1 rear fan is best all-round and in a number of cases 2 fans was worse.

Its the change above idle and back temperatures when the PC is on that shortens the life of a CPU (going beyond normal operating range can cause failure as well), so actually having a high idle temperature as possible and low a peak temperature as possible (within normal operating range) is desirable.

http://www.ami.ac.uk/courses/ami4817_dti/u03/
    http://www.overclockers.com/overclockings-impact-on-cpu-life/

Cheers, Nick.

14. Impossible sorry. Unless you live at the Nth Pole. Are you sure your looking at the right settings? Are you under-clocking your CPU? FYI Ivy Bridge has heating issues compared to Sandy-Bridge when overclocking. I know Ivybridge is 77W but they heat up and can't do 5ghz like sandy bridge can.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012
  15. philby

philby Registered Member

Thanks very much for posting those pictures DVD+R
    I'm going to re-install the unit, despite my hooves for hands...

philby

ComputerSaysNo: I think the 17.5C is the ambient room temp.

16. Oh I hope so, otherwise he has one special cooler.

17. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

It is, however PC Idle Temps are 24c :cool:

18. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

So, post max temps @4.8Ghz please?(or whatever OC frequency you're running at)

19. 24co_O?? Seriously? That's very good, better than water cooling. You must live somewhere very cold if your getting those temps.

20. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Why? whats so obvious about living somewhere cold? I actually live in Perth Western Australia, where the Outside temperature reaches 47c sometimes around Christmas time, however with a good case, (Thermaltake Level10Series Level10GTS) 6 Fans, Noctua Coolers, and a Air Conditioned Room at 17.5 degrees c right now, it's not hard to achieve those Temps. I'll post the Max temps @4.80Ghz in a couple of days, I'm away on a buisness trip right now So I'll do it when I get home :)

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

24.5C on an air cooler? That seems almost impossible.
    Pics or nothing. :D :D

22. I'm thinking the same. Must have a good air conditioner :p

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, those are uber low temps. :D

24. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

25. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.