No updates to ATI 11 for five months, why? (very annoying)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by d.chatten, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Re: Why not just make ver 10 officially available for ver 11 purchasers?

What can v10 do that v11 cannot?

2. domg

domg Registered Member

Well, I'm sure I'm not the expert here, and others could answer much better. But in my experience in v10
    1) the scheduling works
    2) you can edit the tasks
    3) backups don't contain corrupt data

None of that has been true for me in V11, which I have dumped and gone back to ver10.

That's not to mention the crucial fact that the Linux rescue disk produced by the system doesn't work reliably on EITHER! But with help from you guys here, I have been able to use a VistaPE rescue disk to solve that problem neatly in ver10.

So using ver10 could solve at least some of the probs people have had with ver11.

I have two fairly recent Dell laptops running XP SP3.

dom

3. truthseeker

1. Schedule works on my v 11
    2. I can edit tasks
    3. None of my backups on version 11 have ever contained corrupt data
    4. My linux boot CD works perfect.

Seeing all that works for me, then the problems you are experiencing cannot be blamed on TI 11. Because TI 11 works for many other people including myself.

4. domg

domg Registered Member

Ah, I get it.

Because you don't have any problems with TI11, it means that TI11 is fine, and every one of the SCORES of people who have serious problems with TI11 are just idiots.

Thanks for letting us know.

What machine do you have?

5. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

With "true image", you need to learn to work with it. It's not perfect, but it works most of the time. If the scheduling doesn't work, I just do it manually.

I don't think I even have the "latest build" of my version. The build I have works "most of the time" and has never refuse to restore an image. Yes, sometimes I need to use other utilitys to get the restored drive to boot, but for me it's not a big deal. If I upgrade to the latest build, I might end up with more problems that I might not be able to fix.

Every problem that I have encountered, I have workarounds for them. I don't have any fancy motherboards or raids or exotic hard drives, I just have a simple build-your-own computer. Theres just too many different computer configurations available for "true image" to work perfect on everyone. Through "trial and error", I have finally learn what to expect from "true image" and how to have 100 percent success even with it's limitations.

6. domg

domg Registered Member

I guess I just don't like (or respect) software that you "need to learn to work with". I like, and respect, software that works for me, full stop. And quite simply, if it doesn't work, it's crap, and of no use to me. It sounds as if you really like messing around with flawed software, and getting it to work. Many do. I don't.

One of my earliest posts here was to extol the virtues of TI9. I called it brilliant & said that it had performed faultlessly for me. That was true. It had "saved my life" on a number of occasions.

TI10 was almost as good, but during the last year or so the rescue disk started to produce unpredictable results on the newer machines (especially, it seems, on Dells, of which I have two). TI11 was hopeless: bugs everywhere -- at least on my (and many others') machines. So I dumped it, and went back to TI10.

Six months ago TI10 completely failed to restore my OS drive -- and I had to format and reinstall XP & all the software from scratch.

Ridiculous situation. But at least with help from the great people on this forum, I've managed to get a VistaPE restore disk up and running, and as long as I stick with TI10, everything now seems to work as it should.

dom

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I use TI 11 only on a my new notebook with XP Home SP2 (I haven't installed SP3 on it yet). My regular desktop computer is old enough that it has TI 9, and I have a test system that has TI 10. I have used TI 11 on client's computers as well.

Frankly, I don't like all the extra features that Acronis has added to TI. I'd like fewer features that all work, and I'd be satisfied if the product only did image backups and left file/folder backups to other programs unless they can get it right.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  8. domg

domg Registered Member

Absolutely, Agree 100%. Fewer (cosmetic) features, and basic features -- above all, effortless backup and restore -- which all work! Every time! That's all we want. And all we paid for...

9. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Now that is a ringing endorsement !

It works "most of the time"! :D

10. The Sand

The Sand Registered Member

I have 2 licensed copies of TI 11 and 2 licensed copies of TI 10. Only my Dell Inspiron 1525 can't load the rescue CD for TI 11 (it can boot but not load.) On that computer TI 10 boots/load/runs fine. My Dell XPS M1530 boots/loads and runs TI 11 successfully. So, I do have comptuers that work fine with TI 11 (My Acer also has no trouble with it.) I have one "unused" license of TI 11 and would like to see a build that addresses the boot/load issue (as it appears on this forum) before I buy their new version 12. That is what I was trying to say...

Sandy

11. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Imaging software like TI is highly dependent on the disk interface, the disk driver and configuration issues such as whether a machine is running a little overclocked, power supply tolerences, machine temperature tolerences or whether there is a bad "bit" of memory on board.

For example, in case of the last of these a machine may not display any problems using any other application and then suddenly show itself when you do a backup or a restore and there is a checksum error because of a memory discrepancy. There are very few applications which place a similar load and expectations on a PC.

If it works for you then great. TI 1.0 to TI.10 have largely worked for me without issue. However I have seen problems on customer systems caused entirely by faulty RAM (three cases) and a faulty IDE cable (one case). Problems with the boot CD are almost always entirely down to the Linux drivers not being upto date with the hardware it its trying to run on.

Note. And read carefully. None of these problems are down to the user being incapable of running the software.

It is very rare to see posts on this forum which place the blame for problems entirely at the user's door. Your's is one which is either naive or more trollseeker than truthseeker.

Let's just hope you don't need any help with V12 from the good users of this forum who understand how things really are.

F.

12. truthseeker

Well the truth is I have never had a problem backing up and restoring my Vista NTFS and Linux ext3 partitions. SO yes, TI11 works perfect for me.

In addition to that, Acronis TI11 also works great on 1000's of other peoples systems who never have a problem either.

So the facts are.... TI11 works great and cannot be blamed. But as any computer OS, application or program, it is not 100% perfect and will contain some bugs, glitches etc. But that is the reality for ANY OS, APPLICATION OR PROGRAM.

Can you name one single program or OS that is 100% glitch and bug free? ANSWER: NO! So what companies do is release the program or OS anyway, and as a fact, it will work properly on most peoples systems.

The people who complain it doesn't work on their system are unfortunately ignorant and not using it properly, hence, user ignorance and user error. And in some cases, some people use it properly, but sadly it doesn't work on their particular system for reasons unknown to them or the company.

But that is a fact of the IT world. For example. MS Windows can perform certain tasks perfectly on one PC and then not on another PC. That's life, that's the facts of the IT industry and you and the other cry babies here better realise that and get used to it.

But having said all that, you will find that MOST people who complain that something doesn't work, comes down to their own ignorance and error, as they are using the program wrong.

Because all the features on TI 11 work properly on some peoples PC's. So what does that tell you? It tells you that the TI 11 features DO WORK.

P.S I have an Asus Notebook.

13. truthseeker

I like your mature and realistic attitude displayed in your first sentence.

My reply to your second paragraph is... if its not broke, dont fix it :) So if older version works for you, no need to upgrade. Sometimes an upgrade may not perform exactly as the previous version. So why fix it if it ain't broke? :)

I love your comments in the third paragraph too, where you stated that when you did have a problem you found a work around. And thats the point... Most people complaining on this forum about TI 11, they dont bother finding a work around, they try it once or twice for 5 minutes, decide it doesn't work, and then go crying like a baby and complain. If they only invest some times to properly learn the software and find solutions, they and the world would be a better place.

Thank goodness I finally read someones post who is mature and who doesnt cry like a baby that nothing works.

14. truthseeker

My dear cry baby domg. Please, for goodness sake, grow up. You falsely claim TI is crap and why it's crap for you is due to user ignorance and user error. In other words, you simply have no idea what you are doing and expect the PC and the world to perform magic for you as you sit back on your lounge getting obese.

Sure TI11 contains bugs, but so does 100% every other OS, application and program on Earth. However, any person with half a brain always finds a solution and works with what they have. Besides what you claim doesn't work for you, works perfectly on another persons system. SO what does that tell you? LOL

15. truthseeker

Here are the reality facts..... Nobody is forcing you to buy Acronis TI.

You are free to buy an alternative program. And then come back and tell us if that works 100% perfect for you. If so, good for you, if not, then welcome to the reality of Earth where nothing is 100% perfect.

But as I have stated before, Acronis TI11 is great if a person learns to work with it, learns how it works, and finds solutions.

But you are free to buy something else instead of coming here crying, or you can always write your own program and then come back and show us work on every PC in the World. Can you do that? Can you write a program that is 100% perfect without any bugs and that will work perfectly on every PC on Earth? If your answer is no... Why do you demand Acronis do it?

16. InsideLookingOut

InsideLookingOut Registered Member

For various and sundry reasons, I hadn't gotten around to upgrading to 11 from 10. Went to Fry's today and they had a rebate deal on True Image 11. I noticed that the boxes were different: some said compatible with Vista, some said compatible with Vista SP1. So, I bought the box which claimed VSP1 compatibility. Before installing it, I checked the website--said the most current version is 11.8053. After the install, my new version of True Image Home is 11.8101. So it perhaps an update is imminent.

17. truthseeker

1. If you had have read my comments in context, you would have realised I said that MOST cases it is user ignorance, HOWEVER, no OS or program on Earth is 100% perfect and 100% bug free. So some programs will not work properly on some PC's, yet work on someone else' PC. That is the mystery of the IT and PC world as any professional technician will verify for you.

2. If I encounter a problem or challenge, I find a solution and not sit around crying like a baby about something not working, and then wasting my life blaming everyone and everything. If I encounter a problem with TI 11 or anything else in life, I break through the wall full force, seek out a solution, and if I cannot find a solution, I will create my own solution. This proactive attitude has kept me well in my life and helps me to move forward in achieving what I need to do. So in the case of TI 11, people need to remember the OBJECTIVE of the program and what exactly they need to perform and achieve. And then find or create any solution possible to get the objective fulfilled. Simple as that. That's part of life my friend, so instead of being a REACTIVE person who cries like a baby about everything which doesn't work, become PROACTIVE and get the job done, even if you have to seek out and create your own solution to get it done.

What is the main objective of you using TI? Write those reasons down, and then do whatever you have to do get those tasks and objectives done. Do this and your life will be better and less time spent on time crying and complaining like a baby.

Time to grow up folks and face reality and stop blaming everyone else for your problems. If you have a problem, FIX IT anyway you can. The buck stops with you. You cant expect a perfect world, so work the best with what you have!

18. truthseeker

Very interesting. Thanks for letting us know,

19. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

No. I think if you check your facts you will find that you said ALL.

Oh really. So you have ruled out the fact that I might be one already eh :eek:

This seems to be one of your common repetitive phrases on this forum. It seems to me you are doing nothing *but* crying like a baby about everyone else's ineptitude.

If I were you I would be embarassed reading this back. How old are you - 12 ?

Hey!!! Thanks for the life lesson.

Oops there goes that quote again.

F.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Enough gentlemen.

21. The Sand

I agree... I had to reinstall my OS on the Dell XPS M1530. I used TI 11 to restore back my Outlook 2007 email (settings, etc.) and it screwed it up SO BAD I had to reinstall my OS again! Which means getting everything up to date again. Including Vista and Office SP1's. I really only use Acronis for Image restores - that was the first time I tried using it for the other backup features and clearly it didn't go well.

Sandy

22. truthseeker

foghorne, I wish you all the best in your success, and I hope Acronis TI will work for you one day.

23. truthseeker

Ok, understood. Sorry and thank you.

24. truthseeker

Dear Sandy, when in doubt, use a full backup. That is what I do, and it's worked perfect every time. A full backup doesn't take long anyway. Backing up my Vista partition which contains 15GB of data, using the VistaPE boot CD with the Acronis Bart plugin, it only takes around 12 minutes to backup the whole thing. So I think it's worth doing a full back just to be sure.

25. The Sand

I totally agree with you about the full backups. I only do full disk backups - and I do all restores from the CD. The thing is I don't know when the Dell lost the ability to read AVI files... it just "whacked out" and started crashing over AVI files - and I don't know when that happened. So the backup I had, had the problem in it. I worked with Dell over this issue and it basically came down to reinstalling the OS. I guess the lesson here is to make sure everything on your computer is running right before you do a full backup and "backup" the problem.

Sandy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.