No update intervalls < 60 mins. possible (although shown in "last run" time stamp)

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by adam_72, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam_72

adam_72 Registered Member

Dear community & eset mods,

although in scheduler I set the update interval to 15 mins., it sometimes took nod32 almost an hour to pick up the latest virus patterns, so I did some packet sniffing (a wireshark sample of successful communication with eset update servers can be found below)

if updates are set to occur e.g. every 5, 10, 15 or 30 mins., wireshark logs show no other update attempts than every 60 mins sharp.
    if update intervall is set to e.g. every 61 mins., packet logs show an update attempt exactly every 61 mins ... it seems that update intervalls are hard wired to a minimum of 60 minutes, above that value the intervall can be changed effectively in increments of 1 min. !

Please also note that (if interval is set to 15 mins.) the "last run" timestamp in the scheduler window refreshes accordingly, indicating that the update does run every 15 mins. just as expected ... although wireshark logs cearly show that it does not !

Can anyone confirm this ?

I assume that's only a bug, otherwise it would be a case of offering non-existing software features and even reassuring their proper implementation to the customer ("last run" timestamp), so pretty unethical !!!

And just a final word: Security impact of different update intervals and hard wired minimum update periods (-> limit severs loads) are already being discussed in different threads ... thank you for observing that !

thanks & regards
    adam

EDIT: affected version NOD32 Antivirus 4.0.474.0 (64bit) on Windows 7 x64, all updates

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Updates are not run in less than 60-minute intervals.

3. adam_72

adam_72 Registered Member

thanks Marcos, that confirms my observation.

But could you please elaborate on:

* where is this limit documented ?
    * why are intervalls lower than 60 mins. offered at all ?
    * most important: why are the "last run" timestamps suggesting that lower intervalls (if set) are executed as expected ?

any thoughts are welcome ...

4. piranha

piranha Registered Member

why you want to update lower than 60 min !!??

imagine how much more connections to update servers if update could be set less than 60 minutes by all users in the world !

but........ you can update manually as frequently as you want, right clic on nodew icon, update

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.