No Traffic Log At All!

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by TheAceMan, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheAceMan

TheAceMan Registered Member

Howdy all! . . .

Spent half the day searching an no luck :oops: so here goes . . .

Port Explorer working fine until a few days ago. Now I get no traffic log at all! I removed and reinstalled acquring the same results. I get activity in the sockets window but not the traffic window.

Any Ideas?

System: Win98se, Computer Accociates: Antivirus/PestPatrol/Firewall

Many thanks in advance . . .

2. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Have you deleted the PE Directory after uninstalling it?
    Then Reboot and re-install only after a clean boot?

If need be do a regscan for all PE entries and delete them after uninstalling it and prior to re-install it... This should clear things up.

If you still have issues... I would consider a better security suite and OS...

Yer... ahem...errr....obsolete!

3. TheAceMan

Hermescomputers . . .

Sorry to get back so late. Had to take a trip for the company.
    Been there/done that twice! . . . Still no traffic activity!
    Apparently you know nothing about Computer Associates security suite. Its been perfect for me on all my machines here at home as well as my clients! I'll give you a run for your money and an unbeatable arguement in reference to any other suite! . . . Try Me! . . . and please dont say Norton!
    Boy! . . . did you say that like your so far advanced!

I'm an computer programmer (C++, Java, HTML, Others . . .), and you need to realize as a tipster, you never know if you don't think twice!

This specific machine is used to Attract and Track hackers! It started out as a hobby and with the help of two of my collegues (avid programmers themselves) were trying to start a company now! Since Feb 2005 I've personally tracked, all the way to their home address, 27 hackers and have been in court for 4 of those found (hackers are flakey/scared about hacking XP . . . 98 is an open door to them!). Hows that for an obsolete system!? Can your better than thou system do the same! I can't tell you how many hackers we've cornered as a group, but believe me its worthy! We'll be called the Hacker Cops and currently trying to purchase acehackercops.com. Look for us around march next year. We'll be in parallel with spamcop.com http://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml

All in all I've decide to repurchase since I can't get Port Explorer back up again! No thanks to the forum . . .

Note: we can get the same info we need from port explorer else where, but its takes a much longer time and hits are flakey. Port explorer allows use to watch them in action! . . . and pin them down! . . . my God! . . . its poetry in motion! . . . Hackers! . . . there's a new team in town! . . . and you'll find were no joke!

Your Thoughts? . . .

4. Hermescomputers

Hehehehe.... pressed a nerve did I?..:shifty:

Well, my concern about 98 is actually the reason you love it so much. I spend a rather large amount of time "Cleaning up" on 98 base systems, so much so that I now tell peole "I'm a technical Janitor" when they ask me what I'm actually doing for a living... Granted these days 98 is getting more rare...

Besides the tools you mention and in particular "Pest Patrol" used to be one of the best. One that I did sell and recomend quite a bit until it actually stoped doing (Post Merger growing pang perhaps) as good a job as it used too...

And oh my GOD did you say anything about Symantec? Please dont get me started... I have to explain to everyone why (Usually a few months later) the product they purchased is actually the problem... that after spending hours fixing things.

Keep up the good work on the hacker tracker fun game. I myself enjoy kicking them out of wherever I find them. Although i never chased anyone to their door yet...

Something I forgot to ask... What version of port explorer do you currently have?

5. TheAceMan

No not really . . . I'm never in favor of 98, but our statistics show hackers love 98 & Me! What better way to reel them in! We show an average 22 to 1 attempts in OS less than 2K! You should see them . . . its amazing!

We were very sluggish in our detection until port explorer . . . Boy! . . . what a door! . . . You can actually sit there and just watch them! . . . poerty in motion . . . along with source servers!

We've written a letter to port explorer requesting gate ways into the code, where we can take control! . . . sure would be nice! It takes a littlen work, but these bastards can be pinned down!
    Just understand less than 2K is an invitation to hackers! They have to incite a great many more lines of code to do the same is OS greater than 2K. Need I say an specific type of file count is an immediate trigger of their use!

Would you believe the first court case involved an 17 year old! . . . amazing!
    Never had a problem with Pest Patrol since day 1. Most of my clients are using it per my recommendation! A problem did come up in 2005 but it was corrected. Actually I think Norton is the best! . . . and statistics show its certainly up there if not the top! From experience I just don't like any software that intergrates itself into the operating system.

Finally to answer your question: Port Explorer v2.110

Thanks for the input . . . and you take care! . . . Ya Hear! . . .

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

FWIW,
    I installed CA suite (due to another post/problem), and no more logging in PE window. There is a conflict somewhere between these 2, but as I only made a temp install of CA suite, I didnt check/look for the problem.

Stem

7. TheAceMan

How are ya Stem!

Great info! . . . at least I'm no longer hunting blind. I'll do some testing and post back as soon as I find whats up!

Many Thanks!

8. Hermescomputers

Well… I beg to differ. I have several bundles of Norton Internet Security suite 2006 as well as Norton Antivirus 2006 that I now refuse to sell because these products have caused me too many “Unhappy” Service visits. The Suite is a resource hog it glitches and lets Trojans through like sand sifting through your hands… And that is from experience as well friend. I did recommend it but not anymore. In fact quite a few consultants I know are also complaining about the support overhead caused by NISS.

I must agree that the “average” Joe out there is far more likely to choose it as a “corporate” rear end covering tactic or because they know of no other viable alternative. I don’t care about reviews since they are often written by “Writers” who used “A” copy of the product on “A” system and then make an assessment. I work on too many systems and I see a rather different trend. As for stats they only show that more people are using it and not that it is a superior product. To me it only demonstrates herd mentality over independent thought…

Just my tow bits…
    (By the way Peter Norton was a great techie!!!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.