No system tray icons on bootup.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twl845, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Every few times I boot up, the boot up process progresses fine until it's time for the system tray icons to start appearing in the right hand corner of the taskbar next to the clock. No icons appear and the bootup process ends there, incomplete. I can't restart or shutdown and the computer doesn't respond. The only way out is a hard shut down and a restart. The second try will usually produce a good boot. However, I got a bsod a few bootups back which read: If driver is identified in the stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with hardware vender for any bios updates. Disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 or select advance startup options, and then select safemode. Technical info stop: 0x000000 se(0xc0000005, 0x00000000, 0xf799caa4, 0x00000000 I am using a Dell Dimension 4600, Win XP home. I am not a techie and have no expertese with the above instructions, or knowledge if they are even relevant to the problem. I am aware of an application that will scan my HD and (alledgedly) find any drivers that need updating. It is called Uniblue Drive Scanner. I installed the trial copy which scans your HD and tells you of any drivers that need updating, but you have to purchase it to get the driver downloads. It found 4 which I will list: INTEL(R) 8280 1EB pci bridge-244E, hardware id pci\ver_8086 & DE, driver inf file C:\windows\inf, v5.0.1.10060 upgrade

INTEL(R) 8280 1EB SMBUS controller 24D3, hardware ID: pci\ ven_8086 & D, system devices INTEL(R) 8280IE, Driver info file: C:\windows\INF, v5.0.10060 upgrade

Monitor ID. monitor\delA00B, v5.1.2.001.0 upgrade to v1.0, plug and Play monitor

Hardware ID: PCI\ven_8086 &DE, network adapters: INTEL(R)PRO/10, manufacturer - INTEL, v7.0.260 upgrade, INTEL(R) Pro 100 VE network connection.
    Do any of those drivers look like they could be the cause of the problem?
    Does anyone have any suggestions or recognize my computers symptoms who can tell me what to do? I mention the above blue screen info, but don't know if a driver problem is even the culprit. Thanks for any info from your experience in advance. [:)]

2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

This may help - Systray icons missing - http://winhlp.com/node/16.

P.S. I have never had this problem!, so I don't know if the above will help.

3. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

You do nothing in particular, the desktop is displayed or being displayed; of a sudden have you BLUE SCREEN ?

- Lighten the desktop from icons too! Perhaps you have a folder icon on the desktop ( a record heavy! ). Without any folder icon on the desktop, please.
    Empty the trash, reduce the number of icons ( I have 13 icons ), too in the Tray near clock ( I have 3 icons here ...)

On my Windows XP, I have the Theme: Windows Classic ( VERY slight )- right click on the desktop = Display Properties/Theme: Windows Classic; Apply, OK. Tab Desktop/Background: choose None; I have blue color, very nice! Apply, OK.? ...:thumb:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hey Prorootect, I had all my sys tray icons marked "Show", so following your post here, I changed them all to "Hide when inactive", and for almost 3 weeks my icons now show up on bootup and the boot completes. I also did a Chkdsk for insurance. Thanks for the tip. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.