No such thing as 100%

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ssj100, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Maybe doing everything in Virtual Machine is a good way to stay safe:D .

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Imo, the vm I'm using, Virtualbox, is fantastic, not only for security reasons, but just for general testing of software and experimenting. A few seconds is all it takes to get back to a previous pristine state. It is the best software I've stumbled upon in recent memory.

3. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Especially, its ability to use OpenGL/DirectX of a host computer.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

nothing a 100 percent? Well 99.?? is getting awfully damn close.;)

5. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

There is no reason scientifically why one can't declare for 100% in one's own experience.

Scientists will tell you that there are no scientific facts, just hypotheses/premises waiting to be disproved.

I accept the premise with 100% certainty that if I throw an apple into the air, it will return to the ground. Numerous tests confirm this, and so it stands with me until proven otherwise.

I can say that no URL with a malware-embedded attack that I've seen will get past my properly configured browser. Until I find one that does, I will depend on the browser 100% to prevent these types of attacks

I can say that if I install software which I've verified as safe by checking the vendor, and how others have responded to it, it is safe. This stands as a premise with me until proven otherwise.

Note that I'm speaking from my own experience, and may have no relevance to anyone else's experience.

-rich

6. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Well said Rmus :thumb:

I can say that when I have Outpost Pro set to block most, set to notify me of any changed or new executable, and set web control to maximum...

malware simply doesn't stand a chance.

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Agree with Rmus,

When you focus on reducing the attack surface and staying out of risky places, in practise it would be very unlikely that one becomes a victim of malware.

Staying out of risky places with OpenDNS, WOT, IE's smartfilter etc

Reducing attack surface level: policy management/UAC + SRP deny or third party softwares like AE, or execution/image control of HIPS/FW's (outpost, OA, CFW)

Regards Kees

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Ah you Wilders folks make me laugh.

Reduce the attack surface, lock down ten thousands of this and ten thousands of that so the only thing you can do is look at your screensaver :thumbd:

Get real and start using a full blown admin account with the apps in my siggy, learn their capabilities and you will be 100% protected.

9. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Pretty sure Sandboxie and Returnil don't work on 64-bit Windows 7 systems, but thanks for the advice... :cautious:

10. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Agree! Gotta love it when you see app this + this + this and this,create this rule and I'm now bulletproof~!:D
    Keep it simmmmple! S-I-M-P-L-E

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

agreed, i culdnt live without being on Admin, way to irritating to be on LUA considering what i do. i like to be able to use my computer the way it was intended, not be so restricted that i cant even move a file from 1 folder to another etc...

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

But the counterpoint is, operate from a limited user account (LUA) and do nothing else, none of those apps and so on, and you are well protected from most eventualities aside from self-inflicted events.

There's no lock down in doing this, no configuration, just make the account limited. Want to provide a lot more operational flexibility? Install SuRun in it's default configuration, elevate as appropriate, and you can basically do anything you desire.

More secure will always equate to less convenient, this trade-off is always operational. However, less convenient does not inexorably equate to inconvenient.

Blue

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I cant argue your point except in the cases where a whole family shares a PC. Each with their own individual needs. In cases like this keeping simple is almost a gimmie. Kids dont understand pop-ups. Keeping a clean back up image and in most cases a good security suite is still the most popular to meet these needs.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

hey buddy what is Kunfu?haha:D i mean Kafu :):)

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

16. arran

arran Registered Member

An Excellent and well said post. I totally agree.

I can also say with 100 percent certainty by denying all unknown executables from running nothing can get passed Sandboxie and MD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.