No Silent Install?!?!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by huggybear, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huggybear

huggybear Registered Member

I have just upgraded to the lastest version of SWB. I am mucho appreciative to the JavaCool folks for their product. I am curious though, I have scripts that I like to set up for deployment of SWB and I have realized that version 3.3 does NOT have a /silent install option (or even /verysilent option as in 3.2)? When trying to do so the message comes back that silent install is not supported in SpywareBlaster. Can this be correct? Are there other command line options that were taken out of 3.3 or better yet, what command line options ARE available for 3.3?

Michael

2. k0pect8

k0pect8 Guest

Me, too. I put this on my slipstreamed XP CD along with ZA, AVG, etc.
    New v3.3 error is "silent install is not supported in SpywareBlaster".

3. DjLizard

DjLizard Registered Member

It's a bummer. I was very disappointed to find out that silent installation was removed. Unfortunately, this may prompt people to create their own installer for Spywareblaster. Why was it removed?

4. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

I have a solution.

just copy the relevant files into your windows installer cd at the relevant positions.

Or use nLite.

I may be completely wrong on action, but I think my direction is right.

5. DjLizard

DjLizard Registered Member

I went ahead and made my own installer, probably much to Javacool's dismay, however I was just wondering why he removed it. I'm not actually using it on a Windows CD, but rather a tech CD I made that installs Spywareblaster, Ad-Aware, and Spybot one right after the other (including latest updates).

6. iwod

iwod Registered Member

OK i just saw this thread... ( and i opened mine not long ago so admin can delete it )

Why remove Silent switch? I mean not having Autoimmue to me is bad enough already.
    But removing silent switch? Why?

And after so many days there is still no answer yet............

7. MartiniBoy

MartiniBoy Registered Member

Re: No Silent Install?!?! - not any more...

I'm sure there's some reason that they don't want to explain to you. Otherwise, a forum leader would have answered by now.

But fear not! In my continuing efforts to serve the public interest, I have created a compiled AutoIT script which will auto-install the application, while unchecking "Place a shortcut on the desktop" and unchecking "Run SpywareBlaster" at the end of the process.

Thus, it acts just like a silent installer, but since I have not altered the SpywareBlaster installer or code in any way, I'm not breaking any rules by providing this. You may "uncompile" it with AutoIT 3.1.0 to see it if you wish.

This script is a compiled EXE file - all you have to do is rename SpywareBlaster as "Spyware1.exe" and place it in the same folder as this file. Then run this file (SBsilent.exe) with no parameters. Oh, this script assumes that SpywareBlaster is NOT installed and the program folder does NOT current exist in Program Files - so if it's there, delete it before testing.

Don't like downloading strange EXEs from someone you've never met? Want to modify it yourself? OK, I've also included a link to my uncompiled AutoIT script below. It's just a text file, but you'll need to install AutoIT (freeware) to compile and run it. That link is also provided.

Those of us who install this in an unattended setting definitely need this, so I'm happy to oblige a fellow SB lover. And SHAME on those JavaCool boys for making our lives a little more difficult. ;-)

Click here for SBsilent.exe (Right-click, Save As...)

Click here for SBsilent AutoIT script (Right-click, Save As...)

Click here for AutoIT's website

Have a martini and relax,

MB

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Re: No Silent Install?!?! - not any more...

To my knowledge the only They is a hard working individual name Javacool....who offers this free program. Unfortunately the latest update version to the program caused problems for some users and I'll bet a dollar to a donut He is working double overtime addressing this issue.

As for your reference to boys....I'm not aware if Javacool has any sons or not :doubt:

If however you are referring to certain members\leaders\admins or such....I'll ask you to keep your insulting use of words to yourself Please :mad:

9. MartiniBoy

Re: No Silent Install?!?! - heh.

See iwod? All you have to do is make some reference to the forum admin, and you get an answer lightning-fast!

Lighten up Bubba. Perhaps you didn't see that oh-so-obvious WINK at the end of my last statement. That translates to: "I'm being sarcastic." Which should also be obvious, since this little shortcoming of SpywareBlaster 3.3 was solved in a matter of minutes by a relative amatuer (me), thereby not really making anyone's lives more difficult.

I hate it when I have to explain the punch line after the joke is over - the effect is SO diminished, don't you think? I think it's time for a martini. Bubba, you need a double.

Cheers,

MB

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

MB,

You're most welcome to post over here. That said:

- sarcasm doesn't fit in here. Feel free to code your own free software, set up server(s), pick up the bills coming with millions of downloads/updates, and keep your software up to date. After doing so - and having gained respect from millions of users - you are entitled to sarcasm if needed.

- respect our staff; it's as simple as that. Either play by our rules or you're out. We do respect our members/posters - we do demand respect in return. Double Martini's won't change one bit here.

regards,

paul

11. MartiniBoy

Paul,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Your points are well taken, although I didn't know sarcasm was forbidden on an Internet forum. Must be a European thing.

The bottom line of all this - what everyone is stepping around but not addressing directly - is that there was an open question about a missing, but very necessary, feature in a popular software program. Mind you, I love SpywareBlaster. Have for a long time, and I appreciate the effort it takes to produce a free (and now, partially commercial) software package.

There are users on this forum that truly missed that feature. Nobody would answer their questions. So I solved the problem for them. It's that simple.

Other than that, I am happy to abide by your terms. No hard feelings.

Cheers,

MB

12. k0pect8

k0pect8 Guest

MartiniBoy - TY!
    Bubba- (well, nothing, really, just like saying "Bubba" LOL)
    Paul Wilders- thanks for the site...

and, of course, javacool- a big "Thank You!" for your efforts and hard work. Much appreciated program.

kudos

13. SilentObserver

SilentObserver Registered Member

Can anybody tell us why silent install is disabled in the current version?

14. MartiniBoy

SilentObserver:

I couldn't tell you, and apparently it's still an open question. It may be because the author wants you to read the text within the installer screens. I wouldn't know.

But don't fret - I'll keep my eye on it, and if a new version comes out that somehow breaks my script, I'll revise it for you. So it really isn't anything to worry about.

Have a martini,

MB

15. geninblaze

geninblaze Registered Member

I want a martini.

Anyway, if he wanted us to read the text in the installer screens, he woulda said so. I bet its a more complex reason. But why he gives no comment is a bummer :/

16. k0pect8

k0pect8 Guest

Actually, anyone who writes a program for PC security shouldn't remain silent. It breeds suspicion.

17. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your patience everyone (I've been quite busy working on a new release of SpywareBlaster to fix the updating issues some people are having).

The change was actually made for a very simple reason: I wanted to help ensure that there weren't cases where people didn't know SpywareBlaster was being installed (there were actually some other programs out there that bundled SpywareBlaster and used the /silent switch to install the program in the background, without permission - of either the user or myself, for bundling - which is something I don't agree with at all).

I also wanted to ensure the opposite action didn't occur - that someone couldn't run the SpywareBlaster uninstaller in silent mode, and remove the program from someone's system without their knowledge or permission.

That said, it's obvious that some people find the switch useful, for good reasons.

I'll investigate adding it back for installation (although I don't see it being re-enabled for uninstall any time soon).

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

18. k0pect8

k0pect8 Guest

OK, that makes sense!
    I hate companies that bundle OPS (Other People's Software) w/o permission.
    Leaving the un-install /silent switch out would make sense, too (I never use it- why would I? heh).

Thanks for the information, javacool! And for your hard work on this FREE software. That's another reason I'm hesitant to complain about anything (not that there's anything to complain about w/your program). I was just worried about losing another good program in my toolbox.
    (PS- I recommend SpywareBlaster to everyone I know, and all I meet).

19. SilentObserver

SilentObserver Registered Member

The reason I wanted to install it silently is because I want to make it part of my unattended XP install CD.
    The CD will be used by family and friends.

I have 2 suggestions btw:
    - After installation ask user if he wants to update and apply new protections.
    As checkboxes on the last installation screen.
    - On startup of SpywareBlaster, check if the database is older than a month.
    If it is, suggest to check for an update. You could pop-up a small window or have a clear message on the main window.

20. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.