No progess on image restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by taize, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taize

taize Registered Member

I'm using the trial version of TI 11. when booting from bootable media to run the recovery manager I need to put in the "quick apic=off noapic" option to get it to run. I've selected the image to restore and the parition to restore it to but there is no progress that I can see. Both the "current operation progress" and "total progress" bars show nothing and I can't hear any disk activity.

Thoughts?

update: its been sitting there for 15 min with no activity.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. taize

taize Registered Member

One thing I've noticed is that the partition that I want to restore to is unallocated rather than being the primary, active boot partition. Could this be part of the problem/

3. taize

taize Registered Member

Now its really screwed things. In trying to do an image restore - something that should be simple, Acronis has screwed the paartition table and now I'm getting "invalid partition table" even on a fresh install.

At this rate I'll give TI the flick and look for something that does work out of the box

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Did you try choosing 'safe mode' from the rescue CD?

Don't be concerned too much about the progress bars, they tend to be inaccurate sometimes.

Would you give a bit more information about your computer - is it using SATA drives or a RAID setup?

What chipset does your motherboard use?

TI will rewrite the partition table simply because it should be putting down the one that is in the image.

Where is your image located, internal drive/partition or external?

Colin

5. taize

taize Registered Member

Colin,

Safe mode from the TI bootable cd or XP?

System has a SATA system disk and and IDE secondary drive that contains the image backup

I'm rrunning AMD LE-1150

I've managed to fix the partition table by reinstalling XP but I still want to restore the image. I'm going to try and restore it over the top of the fresh isntall

6. taize

taize Registered Member

update:

Restoring individual files from the image works so there is nothing wrong with the backup file or reading the disk.

I've tried to restore the image to the active primary partition and nothing happens. The disks are not going at all. Grrrr:mad:

7. taize

taize Registered Member

Power cycled the system And now the partition table is screwed again.

8. taize

taize Registered Member

I'm sorry to say I'm giving up on TI. It should not be this hard and take this long to do an image back up and restore on a brand new system

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Safe option from the Acronis rescue CD.

OK, so you can mount an image and search and retrieve individual files and folders?

Is this a brand name machine such as a Dell?

You have definitely made an image and not a files and folders backup?

Could you post some screen shots?

Colin

10. taize

taize Registered Member

I'm not sure how to get to safe mode from the CD. It boots and then runs TI off the cd.

This is a no-brand system.

I can't get screen shots since the system wont boot.

I followed the instructions for an image backup and one of the options on the restore is to restore a whole partition.

this is'nt a sector-by-sector image.

11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The rescue CD should give you a safe mode option.

The screen that comes up after the Acronis Loading.......... message finishes and the TI Linux GUI starts.

Colin

12. taize

taize Registered Member

Thanks for the offer to help but after wasting 10hrs with this product I'm not going to risk losing my install again.

13. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Whichever backup system you decide to try I offer this bit of advice. It is a tenet I always follow.

Never restore to a drive or partition which is current and working.

This can best be followed by withdrawing the current drive and replacing it with a spare drive before comitting to a restore.
    As you will see with 20/20 hindsight if you had done things this way your trials would have been done in a perfectly safe way and return to a previous state would have been a matter of minutes rather than hours.

I learned this the hard way a few years back when I had problems after Drive Image was taken over by Norton.

Xpilot

14. taize

taize Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.