No Prevx icon after sign in

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by pling_man, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This could be a possible approach but unfortunately there isn't a reliable way of creating the debug output required across all instances without creating a large security hole (as limited users would have to access the same data as SYSTEM level users, and even then, the access to the debug logs has to be synchronized which likely will cause the issue to happen for wrong reasons, unfortunately).

We're redesigning the account management/user/system process behavior in Prevx 4.0 so hopefully this will provide a more streamlined experience but if you come across any way to reproduce it on-demand, we may be able to prepare a debug version to gather some additional information.

2. NBP Pipsquack Bird

NBP Pipsquack Bird Registered Member

Joe,
    I can now say that I can reproduce this error and avoid the error 18 out of 20 times (90%.)
    As it's not 100% reproduceable, I'm hoping the following might at least help narrow down your debugging moving forward.

Win 7 x64. P+SOv 3.0.5.143 System with 2 Windows User accounts - one with Administrative rights, one with Standard User rights. Other security software - from none to various.

To create the logged error:
    Boot up the PC, log on to the Admin rights account. Wait til Win7 Action Center flag appears in system tray. Do NOT launch any internet browser, do not launch Prevx GUI. Once Action Center flag is in system tray, reboot the PC.
    Log back in to the admin rights account, check Windows event viewer, you will see the error listed in my quoted message and the timestamp should coincide with the logoff/reboot of the PC.

If you log off the admin account without launching browser, then log into the standard user account - same - at logoff the CSI Scanner error is logged.

To prevent the logged error:
    Once you boot up and log into your Windows account launch IE8, browse to any page, shut down IE8.
    Then if you log off the windows account or reboot the PC the CSIScaner error is NOT logged.

Works almost without fail on two PCs here.

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    Thank you very much for the precise information. I've forwarded this onto our testing team and hopefully they will be able to reproduce it in-house.

I'll keep you up to date with what we find! Thanks again :thumb:

4. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

Thanks NBP Pipsquack Bird

I can make the icon fail to appear (and prevx not run) most of the time (more than 50%) by doing the following (Vista, UAC enabled on both accounts).

(1) boot up, sign into standard user account
    (2) Switch user to admin account
    (3) Switch back to standard account
    (4) Switch back to admin account
    (5) log off admin account
    (6) log into standard account
    (7) log off standard account
    ( 8 ) log into standard account. *** ERROR here prevx not running ***

Error usually occurs at step ( 8 ). Sometimes it occurs at step (6).

Hope prevx can hunt this down now as its so annoying.

5. Zorak

Zorak Registered Member

Hi all

The Prevx not loading in a limited user account problem returned for me yesterday. I wasn't using fast user switching but I had logged in and out of all my computer's accounts (1 admin & 4 users) while removing temp files with CCleaner earlier in the day. This time however I didn't have to re-boot to get it back, just log-on and log-off as admin.

The interesting thing is that this hasn't happened for over a month now, but it happened the very next day after I re-enabled power management in Windows to turn off my monitor when inactive. I had disabled this feature over a month ago whilst troubleshooting log-off problems.

This all might be a total coincidence, but I thought I would put it out there anyway in case it leads to a "Eureka Moment" for one of the Prevx computer boffins :cool:

I'm running XP Home SP3 with Prevx paid & SafeOnline free. No other real-time apps.

6. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.