No option to backup to a local drive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by jaz65, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaz65

jaz65 Registered Member

I am running Paragon Backup & Recovery 2010 Free Advanced on a 32-bit Win XP desktop. The computer has 2 hard drives, C: and F:
    I start the backup wizard, select the C: drive to backup (Basic Hard Disk 0), but when I get to the "Backup Destination" window, I don't have the option to backup to a local or network drive as is shown in the user guide. My desire is to backup to the F: drive.
    Am I doing something wrong, or is this feature not supported in the free version?

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Could you post here a screen of Windows Disk Management?
    * right-click on 'My computer' and choose 'Manage';
    * select 'Disk Management' in 'Storage';
    * click 'PrintScreen' key
    * save the image as JPG, GIF or PNG file;
    * attach to your post.

3. jaz65

jaz65 Registered Member

Attached is the screen shot showing the two system drives. The smaller is the C: drive, the larger is the F: drive.

Attached Files:

4. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

It appears that you have virus. Drive letters are missing in Windows Disk management. The cause of the problem is in rootkit viruses.

First of all, scan your system with antivirus. If it will find any malware, remove it.
    Once completed, open Windows Disk Management and check if Drive letters are shown.

If it still fails, do the following:
    Press Start - run - type regedit and press ok/enter.
    Then find the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    There you will need to select Edit - New - Multi-String Value.
    Rename it to UpperFilters. Then right click on this value and select Modify. Type PartMgr.
    Quit and then restart Windows.
    Since then the drive letters will be in WDM.

If Upperfilters key exists, check the values and delete all except PartMgr.

5. jaz65

jaz65 Registered Member

I scanned the computer using two different virus scan programs; nothing found. But then I didn't really expect to find anything malicious as I had just finished a rebuild of the entire computer.
    The regedit fix worked like a charm though. The UpperFilters variable was there, but had nothing assigned to it. Modifying it to PartMgr was all that was required.
    WDM now shows the drive letters, and I can do the backup as I want.
    Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.