No New Partitions in Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Farmer2, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farmer2

Farmer2 Registered Member

I partitioned my separate G: and F: drives in preparation for copying the F: drive onto the G: drive (still keeping the F: drive letter -both G: and F: will be on the G: drive to keep current program paths to the F: drive working).

Windows Explorer does not show either of the newly partitioned logical drives - X: or Z: Disk Director and XP's disk manager both show the two new drives. Neither X: or Z: is listed as active in disk manager.

How do I get Windows Explorer to recognize the new drives? o_O I don't want to combine the two until I'm sure the new partitions on them are working properly.

Thanks in advance for any help provided. I appreciate the professionalism of this forum.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Farmer2:

Check to make sure that your two new partitions are not hidden. Do they both have drive letters assigned? Are they NTFS or FAT partitions?

If you have done all of the above and you reboot the PC, Windows Explorer should be able to see them.

3. Farmer2

Farmer2 Registered Member

Thank you for your reply, k0lo. I do appreciate your help.

How do I check/change if the partitions are hidden? The drives are NTFS, and they do have drive letters Z and X assigned, which show up in disk mgmt as healthy w/ drive letters and volume label, along with sizes. Would the "drive letter and path" in disk mgmt have to show a path to the logical drives?

Sorry for the trouble.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

In DD10, a partition's status will show up on the display in the "Flags" column. If hidden, the flags column will show "Hid." and the icon for the disk will be dimmed. You can change the hidden status by right-clicking on the partition and choosing "Advanced". There will be a menu choice for either "Hide" or "Unhide".

A hidden partition will not show up in Windows Explorer. It will show up in Windows Disk Manager but will be labeled as "Healthy (Unknown Partition)" and it won't show a drive letter.

Yes, in Disk Manager the drives should have drive letters assigned. If they don't, just add them either in Windows Disk Manager or in DD10.

5. mhg1939

mhg1939 Registered Member

Try assigning a drive letter to the new partition with Windows disk manager.

6. cortez

cortez Registered Member

The results of "DD10" MAY NOT show up in either"Windows Explorer" or "MY Computer" window and still work properly! (this depends on the type of machine and the type of software you have [bundeled or retail]). Conversly DD10 may show that deleted and wiped partitions STILL EXISTS after these operations were performed (even after reboots). Surprisingly "Windows Explorer" and "My Computer" windows may show that the partition was in fact "removed". The question is how to prove which is correct. One way to check is to create a "new Folder" in the shown partition and then cut and paste an expendible file into it (this is for logical partitions). Open the file and right click on it and click the properties option and see if it shows if it has any data in it (it should show how many bytes it contains and the date created). "OS Selector" often shows a deleted OS partition in its main window while "DD10"," Windows Explorer" and "'My Computer" show it was in fact deleted. This is proved when you try to boot into the phantom OS and it exibits only a blank screen, (in the "OS Selector" main window the deleted OS option may refuse to work and continue to show the icon of the deleted OS). Correcting these problems often requires redoing the operations and then doing them again. Sometimes there is no correction. Expect all sorts of permutations as a result of using DD10. Non fuctioning "Check boxes" in "DD10" (while in Windows or when using the stand alone mode) with these type of problems seem commonplace. I recommend using a duplicate Hard Drive for pretesting thus keeping your main disk safe. (Opening up the box and switching cables is a lot easier than reloading your whole set- up again). Use an ISO image on the test disk and if it crashes the image can be remounted again for more trials. Propriatary machines with prelaoded software seem to be predestined to clash with DD10. Built systems with stand alone Windows seem to work well with DD10 in my experience.

7. cortez

cortez Registered Member

p.s. make sure there are NO other programs running in the background while using Disk Director 10 (Virus, firewall, system monitor programs, being-connected-to-the-internet are just a few examples). For true insulation disconnect ALL USB PORTS and use only a PS2 mouse and keyboard. If "DD10" works under these conditions then you know your machine is highly modified and can hopefully compensate for these factors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.