no need to secure 98SE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

questionhow can I keep my computer safe from hackers?
    I'm running Windows 98SE...I have Ad-A-Ware and AVG along with Zone Alarm installed on my computer...Am I safe enough with that?
    anwser
    All I ever used was Zonealarm firewall, and occasionally Adaware, never any anti-virus protection. No problems ever. Be careful opening attatchments as usual, of course.

this was on another forum. id given, what i thought was a helpful link to here, and another link on rootkits. the answerer also said this...There's Win3.1, Win3.5, Win95, Win98, WinCE, WinNT, Win2000(ME), and WinXP. They just don't bother writing them for Win98 any more, although there might still be some older ones going around that will affect it, but it's REALLY rare anymore.

i have to say this is my ignorance asking, not arrogance, is that true-98SE is safe with almost no protection?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

98 and 98se are not near as secure as xp and as such it does need security protection just like any version of windows. The problem with win 98 is that windows updates will quit updating 98 pretty soon and then you will not be able to get any patches for that os. And that will make it even harder to secure it. The best thing to do with win 98 is to upgrade to xp. trojans and worms and dialers and viri still like win 98.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks bigc, i was hoping i was going to be wrong. i dont know what to say, it sounds like its an old, very ill lady thats getting this advice. ill have to post something. ill just be very gentle :) thanks.

4. DownhillRide

DownhillRide Guest

I thought you could still get updates for Windows 98/me till 2007. That's what i heard anyway.

5. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    "They" may not write specifically for 98 but many, many exploits cover all Windows O/S. Lock it up with full layering. Keep in mind 98 is the third most popular O/S at the moment. Reference - http://www.pgts.com.au/pgtsj/pgtsj0302e.html

Be seeing you.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Here is the info on the end of life of win. 98

Attached Files:

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for your help, bigc and QSection. i just posted in the other forum, saying i wouldnt bother her again and almost pleding for her to post at a security forum. ill edit it with your info QSection
    thanks. :)

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Windows 98 is like an ageing, sick old man. I still prefer XP to 98. 98 is not as stable as XP. Windows XP has been around for about 3 to 4 years now so its quite new still. Windows 98 has been around for 7 years already, a bit old. I've stopped using my other older computer with windows 98 cos' its performance just plain sucks.

9. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

I suppose that if I wanted really secure computer, I'd switch to FreeBSD or something, but I think I'm too much of a n00b to handle *nix at this point...

10. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I have just uprated to XP Home (The whole system was a gift, what could I do?) and to be quite honest, although I have Outpost Firewall, Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D, AVG and Adaware etc.,....exactly the same as when I had 98se...I don't feel as secure as when I had 98se....just as a for instance how many XP users got whacked with the Blaster trilogy? and all the other Worms and Tripe that hit the Net, even though most of the users had more defences than NATO, and yet it all passed my little 98se by without a scratch......AND I didn't have one M$ Update!! either..........as far as I know, the only danger my 98se was ever in was just my own incompetence..... :D

One good thing, no matter whether M$ dump on their most loyal customers, there are still sites that will carry everything you will ever need for 98se well into the future........

Cochise, :cool:

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Turn your firewall on Cochise! Or is it on already?

12. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Outpost is on........or did you mean the XP gibbidge..... :D :D....NOT on...

Cochise, :cool:

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Scared me there for a minute!! :D :cool:

14. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:doubt: Ok Gentlemen, your scaring me now, I'm running 98SE and I've noticed several reasons to protect myself. The big Major one is that I go on the web. I'm certainly no expert but I've been hit twice over the years. Last time was this year with all available updates and protections that I was aware of.
    IMHO 98Se is very vulnerable and in dire need of security. I only wish I knew more to protect my machine. :oops:

15. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

hey cochise when i ran win98 i had nothing but problems. i have had xp for over 2 yrs,... no virises, trojans, nada. how's dem apples. u do need a good firewall, av software and proper configs, if using IE - i now use Firefox. also i rarely had spam or even pop ups. i am set up to put up a good fight. http://img27.exs.cx/img27/5280/duelingsmilies.gif

16. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi David, see the following thread for a discussion on security:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43117

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This site from Oz has a lot of good info.

Secure

18. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

Very impressive reading Blackspear, I have most of those now and the plan is to continue until I can get online without question.
    Hi Peaches!! :D

19. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

The only major differences between Blackspear's list and what's on my 98SE system are that I run NAV2001 instead of Nod32 and that I don't run ScriptDefender, SystemSafetyMonitor, Proxo or Ewido, and I haven't been nailed by anything in so long that I've forgotten what a pain it can be ... well, almost. With the right software, and a bit of smarts, 98SE can be made safe (or at least as safe as any Microsoft product can be!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.