no multiboot with os selector (cannot hide partition)

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by blueznl, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blueznl

blueznl Registered Member

i'm not entirely a newbie at multibooting (see the link below)

http://www.xs4all.nl/~bluez/datatalk/multiboo.htm#top

however... os selector got me stomped

system:

amd64/3000 on asus k8n-e 1gb ram
    hd1 sata 1 wd740 raptor
    hd2 pata pm maxtor 6y120p0
    hd3 sata 2 wd2000jb

xp pro uk sp2
    os selector 9.0 build 533

i try to do a multiboot on drive 1 using two partitions

hd1 p1 contains an xp ('workxp')
    hd1 p2 contains a clone of hd1 p2 (bout it could be a fresh install as well, doesn't matter) ('playxp')

i do use ONE os per partition, no os sharing per partition

before (using vamos) i would tell vamos to hide on booting time all partitions i do not want the other os to use

so when booting hd1 p1 'workxp' vamos would hide hd1 p2 and thus xp would not see it's 'colelague'

when booting hd1 p2 'playxp' vamos would hide hd1 p1

this way i could install multiple os'es on the same drive, there are some restrictions though, i know, don't worry :)

now i run into the following problem: i created both partitions, but os selector WILL NOT allow me to 'hide' my hd1 p1

this doesn't make much sense as this would effectively negate the use of the product as a multi boot selector...

what am i doing wrong here?

2. blueznl

ok, if i understood things a little better, os selector is doing things rather... differently, if i may say so

hey acronis, how about supporting more regular multi boot support? this is seriously affecting extablished mutliboot practices (although it may still be considered multi os support)

in fact, i will advise people against the use of os selector untill i figure out a way to do it... or if someone else shows me the way to do this :)

3. kite

kite Guest

acronis os-selector simply doesn't work.

the auto sensing of operating systems doesn't work. it's not possible to manually 'tweak' the sensing of an operating system. maybe it's because it was originally developed by another company as a product called boot wizard. maybe the original developers are no longer there.

the only thing attractive about it at the moment is the full screen boot screen. that looks really neat. for the rest it just doesn't work.

maybe it will in the future.

4. blueznl

i do not want to say it does not work, but the way it appears to work does not make me very hopefull, as i said i would expect the 'hide one partition and unhide another one' approach, which is the most transparant approach (except for bootlimitations, tracks, device numbers etc.)

without the above the system depends on a non-standard installation process

acronis may try and contact the german author of vamos, i suspect he will be more than willing (for a decent fee :)) to describe his approach

i hope there will be a reaction from acronis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.