No more FDISR as we know it? Im confused.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by sukarof, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I bow to your memory.

I just wish Todd would come back in here and give us an update.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Todd is been instrumental in making prompt replies in answer to inquiries & interests we all have shared over FD-ISR and one can't help but expect at some point in his own time that will happen and help relieve a lot of concerns being shared recently.

I know i also speak for others when i say that personally i hold nothing but the highest respect and admiration for him and the Development Team that fashioned such a MARVEL! of genuine skill & invention that they put into making FD-ISR as well as pioneering such a completely new and exciting product that's become such a subject of customer satisfaction, at least for everyone who's confidence is been greatly elevated from their experience with it; thanks is well deserved for both his attention to the program/users concerns and for the app itself.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Easter,
    Neither EricAlbert, nor ErikAlbert wrote that quote, Peter did, but I agree with the quote. :D

4. tarsins

tarsins Registered Member

I'm not too bothered with freeze so I've grabbed the HDS version quick before it disappears into the mists. It's an exceptional piece of software and I don't know why Leapfrog don't sell it themselves.

I just need to decide on my imaging program now. I'm very keen on Shadowprotect - I just need to understand the schedules a bit better (and having "man flu" doesn't help).

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I have no install just imaging from recovery CD,imaging one time in two weeks,a restore takes 3.23 min.After restore i bring my system current with an updated FDISR archive in 5 or 6 min. Why all the hassle with schedules,incrementals etc.Its much safer to image outside Windows. Afterall if you have to restore an image you will need the Recovery environment [CD] anyway .

6. Peter2150

Would be off topic here so ask in the software and services forum. There are some excellent reasons if they apply.

Pete

7. Peter2150

Two inappropriate posts were remove, as the were personal swipes.

Pete

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Sorry forgive my ignorance,i will do that .

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I couldn't agree more and that baffles my mind. Surely to goodness they would have mapped a path all over the globe if they marketed it themselves because after all from my experiences and everything else i seen of Leapfrog they are a very well refined group of engineers and plus they have a great PERSONALITY and public relations skills to boot.

10. ErikAlbert

Users might blame companies for removing functions in a software, but users are also indirectly responsible that a function is removed. They don't care and are indifferently, because they don't use that function, while other users might need that function.
    Removal of functions is never a personal thing and users have to stick together when that happens, even when they don't use the function.

The removal of the freeze function makes it impossible to use FDISR as a boot-to-restore solution, like DeepFreeze, Returnil, etc. and that is unacceptable.
    HDS doesn't have to remove the freeze function, sell it like it is. Period.
    Terminating FDISR isn't the same as removing its functions.
    If HDS wants FDISR Rescue, they only have to create a second version of FDISR and support and maintain FDISR Rescue, while the support and maintenance of FDISR Workstation can be stopped, if that is really necessary.

When the support and maintenance of FDISR Workstation is stopped, they can make it freeware as abandonware, like they did with EXE Lockdown.
    This will lead to a massive download of FDISR Workstation, because it's free. LOL.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  11. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Erik whilst I appreciate that you don't like the idea of pressing F11 and then making a choice to say that it "makes it impossible" is a bit strong. saying that you don't like something and saying that it can't be done are not the same thing. I would expect that any new user - with an open mind- would be quite happy with the new cut down FD-ISR and Returnil as a freeze option.

12. ErikAlbert

You still don't get it, do you ? I'm talking about FDISR only, the software itself, not in combination with another software like Returnil.
    Suppose Returnil wasn't free, in that case the user has to pay extra for having a boot-to-restore solution, nobody is going to do this. FDISR costs already $70.
    Returnil is just accidental free, while the others aren't and what is free now, isn't necessarily free in the future. Returnil is in full development and once it does alot more, it might not free anymore one day. The same happened to "Total Uninstall", which also started as freeware.

13. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Of course I don't get it. You're argument keeps changing. In one post you said the combination didn't work. In another it worked but you didn't like to work that way. Now you are saying that it is an accident that Returnil is free and may be charged for some unspecified date in the future - possibly.

I couldn't give a toss about possible futures. I prefer to work in the here and now. Although not ideal it is quite possible to use the new cut down FD-ISR with
    Returnil or deepfreeze and to make full images as an archive method. In some ways I could argue that this solution is better for some than the original but we can pass on that one.

I am only writing because I don't want potential new purchasers of any new FD-ISR to be unaware that Returnil can be used quite adequately with the new product.

14. ErikAlbert

I'm not going to discuss anymore. If you don't understand it, that's OK with me.
    I understand it and it's to me very OBVIOUS that you can't remove the freeze function of FDISR, because FDISR can't compete anymore with other ISR-softwares regarding boot-to-restore.
    And the combination of FDISR + Returnil doesn't work properly otherwise the function "boot to snapshot" of FDISR would work properly and it doesn't.
    That combination goes as long Returnil is free.

I would make Returnil also free, that's the only way to get a big number of users and the more users you have the more info you get to improve Returnil and meet the wishes of as many users as possible. Once Returnil is on top, it might not be free anymore. Meanwhile FDISR has lost its boot-to-restore feature.

15. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Erik, don't mean to raise your blood pressure by bringing Freeze up again, but can you explain in newbie terms (or point me to a thread where you've already written this) what the Freeze function is, and what boot to restore is?

Or anyone else?

Thanks,
    Chamlin

16. Peter2150

Very simply once you freeze a snapshot in a given state, any time you reboot, your system is automatically put back in that state. It's one of Erik's favorite features, but one many of us don't use. So depending on your view point, it can be emotional. With me it's archives.:D

Pete

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I like both! :cool:

Acadia

18. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

When "freezing" a snapshot, you simply create a dedicated archive (the frozen archive) to that snapshot, this archive is created during the freeze process, indeed it could be said to be the freeze process. The snapshot is now said to be "frozen". From this point on (until you "unfreeze" the snapshot) the frozen snapshot and its frozen archive are locked in a repetative copy / update taking place everytime the computer is booted.

So for example, you freeze your current snapshot, fdisr will create a copy archive of that snapshot this will add a "frozen archive" to your system.. Now you proceed to download and install a whole slew of programs, whatever.
    When finished playing, you shutdown your system. When you start up your system again, during the boot fdisr initiates a copy / update from the frozen archive, to the frozen snapshot, thus returning it to the exact state it was before you downloaded and installed all that junk.
    Imagine it like a frozen point in time, you freeze your snapshot at 10:00 am today, everytime you computer is rebooted fdisr will copy that archive back to your snapshot to return it to the configuration of 10:00 am today.

19. ErikAlbert

My frozen snapshot = Windows + Applications (no data). Nothing needs to be changed in that snapshot because it's working fine. So I reboot always in the same clean snapshot day in, day out.
    That is called a boot-to-restore solution : I restore my frozen snapshot to its original state each time when I reboot.

Deepfreeze, Returnil, PowerShadow, ShadowThis and ShadowThat, ... do the same thing, unfortunately that's all they do and nothing else and that is an insult to the brain of FDISR-users. The only special one in that row is ShadowUser.

DeepFreeze is the worst of all and only usefull in schools, companies, ... not for home-users.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  20. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. :cool:

I can see how you benefit from using this.

Thanks for the explanation all. Very helpful!

21. ErikAlbert

The main benefit is SAVING TIME in a very lazy way :
    1. I don't need to run
    - registry cleaners
    - history cleaners
    - manual cleanings to clean junk, created by softwares doing their job.
    - AV/AS/AT/AK/AR-scanners
    No change = no change, so why would I waste my time on running all these very time-consuming softwares.
    I use that time to backup my data and sometimes my system, if it changed and to keep my system up-to-date.

2. Each problem from little to big is solved by a simple reboot :
    - I don't need to know what caused the problem
    - I don't need to know how to solve it
    - I don't need to be knowledgeable.
    My system is always working properly and 99% of the problems are solved with a simple reboot.

3. I can test any software and I only need to reboot to get rid of it. No uninstalling, no garbage, no infections, no corruptions.

My reboot from desktop to desktop = less than 2 minuts and it's clean.

I hardly spend my time on solving problems, I spend my time on improving my system and creative thinking. I never write posts at Wilders to solve my problems, my boot-to-restore solves my problems.
    If I ever get in serious trouble, I only have to restore my clean system partition image and I'm back in 10 minuts. :)

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Very well said and a really simple but immensely effective process. The points made are very well the wisest assets any user could possibly hope for.

So why on earth do users still continue to always cling to all those scanners where even the results can be a crap shoot at best? Let alone all the time it takes to wait on them.

FD-ISR has in my honest opinion helped greatly if not totally revolutionized a more safe, enjoyable and more productive computer experience for anyone who is been fortunate enough to got in on it before it's transfer of distributorship.

It's been like Gold to me :D

23. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You still need scanners to check individual files.
    Also, I like to know the cause behind a problem so I can fix it forever. For me, a reboot-to-restore solution means relying in only one piece of software which deletes evidence. To each its own :)

24. ErikAlbert

I don't understand this either.
    All malware have one thing in common, they CHANGE my harddisk somewhere.
    They have to change my harddisk otherwise they can't do anything evil.

That is their weakness and that's how malware betray themselves.
    I use that weakness to kill them all : known, unknown and malwares, that aren't born yet, which is better than any existing combination of scanners.
    I don't remove malware, I remove CHANGES and that covers any malware.

25. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I'm sure that malware which doesn't interact with the filesystem (i.e. low-level disk access like KillDisk) can bypass FD-ISR and the Freeze function. On the other hand, this kind of malware is very rare (only KillDisk and the much talked Rustock.C)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.