No keyboard, no mouse

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It would seem to me the ideal way to make a home PC would be to do away with these 2 items. For banking security a retina scanner embedded in the PC for your identification or a seperate module to check your fingerprint. For doing away with keystrokes the ability to speak to the computer via a secure line, for websites and entering in any pertinent information.

Technology will grow and I do think at some point make secuirty more viable.

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

He doc, what's up, why speak through a secure line? thrown in some voice analysis, you are getting old :D

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Your retina scan could potentially be stolen in transit, packets reconstructed, then used to fake a bank login. Then again that's no more secure than typing in details. :)

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

The technology is already here,just has not been released to the public for sale.
    Some examples Ive seen is the keyboard actually being projected onto your computer desk top. HP has a computer that you use the LCD screen for all input.

It's here,just not ready for the public :D

5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Public has no choice to get used to it,because it's been said long ago,future computers will not have keyboards and mouse.

All will be voice operated and or touch screen.

6. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Reading threads like this make me paranoid :eek:

Oh and I wouldn't mind a computer that listens to my voice, rather then me typing. I mean computers physical activity is already low, now people won't even feel the need to move their fingers. :D

7. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

8. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Rule of thumb:

If you think something is impossible with technology,dont worry because there's someone willing to make it work.

Laser technology is coming aboard in the new televisions,get ready because the day is coming!
    http://laser-tv.org/what-is-laser-tv/

9. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

sorry, but that's just not secure. if you don't have a trusted path between the biometric sample acquisition device (retina scanner/fingerprint reader/etc) and the biometric verifier (the computer that stores and matches biometric templates against the biometric samples coming in) then a simple replay attack voids any security you may have thought you were gaining.

and you most certainly do not have anything even approaching a trusted path over the internet or any setup involving end-user-controled computers.

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

To demonstrate how difficult (and ridiculous) it is for us to try to predict the future of technology, I am reminded of what the President of Digital Equipment, Ken Olson, said in 1977...

11. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Very long time to come is almost history :D

There are many companies,small and large alike who are already doing away with keyboards and using touch screens and pens. The workplace has changed,just a short time til it's in your home.

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

and if you knew history...., you'd realize it's in context.

Blue

13. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Girlfriend works for a company as I do myself. Sorry no links . Entering in finished work orders or tasks is simpler / faster,which equals more time for more projects.

Games dont dictate the future technology advances sorry to tell ya.

14. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Your way behind on technology it seems. In 1980s, word processor applications on personal computers had replaced the tasks previously accomplished with typewriters.

Good luck in whatever decisions you make,sounds like your gonna need it!

15. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Well ssj, maybe we're living on a different planet, but I fully agree with you on this. I see no evidence whatsoever the keyboard and mouse are soon to be replaced.

16. Boost

Boost Registered Member

You and SSJ are both behind on technology advances then. I do not have the time to go over everything,but you both should start by reading a link such as this:

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22393/

17. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

No doubt or argument the technology is there, just as compact disc technology was in full swing in the 60's and technology to land man on the moon in that era, but I see no absolute replacement of the mouse or keyboard anytime soon.

18. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Windows 7 is the next operating system as mentioned in the article will offer services.

19. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I didnt say they wouldnt. I said they offered touch screen features.
    Dont twist my words around.

20. BlueZannetti

One detail you should consider is the manner in which something we refer to as a keyboard and/or mouse are implemented. Consider the possibility that both remain, yet both are gone in terms of the physical devices that we now use.

Blue

21. BlueZannetti

You really need to consider what that means. Generalize it. Point/selection device, text entry device. Neither is constrained to maintain a static definition based on current physical devices.

A lot of this is likely to be driven by MID's and other small mobile devices. What's learned there will permeate the other domains.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.