No Google for China

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by root, Sep 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. root

root Registered Member

more..

As much as I rant and rave about the US, when I read something like this, it makes me glad I still have the freedoms left that I do have.
    Also, I guess I rant and rave because I don't want the rest of the world to become like that.
    I don't know about life in Europe and most of the rest of the world, but in the US, the people seem to be content as long as they have their remote and a cold beer beside them on the couch. I wonder what its going to take to get them to realise that we are not that far removed from this kind of censorship in America and perhaps Europe.
    For those of you that think I'm am an alarmist and over reacting, stop and think about two years ago. Did you ever think that something like the Patriots act would have ever been passed? Did you ever imagine that you would have to take your shoes off before you could board an airplane?
    To me, it's just a sign of whats to come if we don't do something about it.

2. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi Root,

Everyday I see more and more rights being taken away from us. It will only stop when enough people are inconvenienced that they start to protest. Any Gov. will take as much power as the people will allow.

3. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

;) Hi Root! I know where you're coming from and I agree. So many people say, "What can I do about it? Can't fight City Hall, et al." Well folks, I got news for ya! One person can make a difference! If you need personal anecdotes, I can provide them.

Every protest or needed change starts with one person who decides to do whatever they can to make things better. They connect with other people a little at a time and then things start rolling. Each of them does the same, making connections until suddenly you realize you have a Movement. That's how it always works! Democracy and Freedom start with you and me!

4. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

It starts by keeping an eye on the esteemed Mr. Ashcroft.
    He is a perfect example for keeping religion out of government. If the statue of Justice offends him, can you imagine his thoughts on our rights to access the content on the internet?

5. Prince_Serendip

Re:No Google for China but AltaVista and Google to fight Chinese censorship

;) AltaVista and Google to fight Chinese censorship
    Posted: 11/09/2002 at 06:46 GMT

AltaVista Co and Google Inc have both seen their web search engines become inaccessible to internet users in China, evidently as part of a censorship initiative in the run-up to the Chinese communist party congress in November.

But AltaVista is offering affected users alternate ways to access its services. The company yesterday told users they could visit raging.com or one of AltaVista's international sites, which offer the same search services but are not blocked.

"People in China cannot access our site," said AltaVista chief marketing officer Fred Bullock. "We contacted the Chinese government [via the consulate in San Francisco] to see if we've been blocked last Friday but we haven't heard anything."

Google has evidently had better luck that AltaVista. VP of corporate marketing Cindy McCaffrey said the company is in talks with representatives of the Chinese government, but has yet to resolve the issue.

Read more.....

More news to follow! :D

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

There is one person, who spoke the astonishing "Prayer for America" which gave well deserved standing ovations and who is surely capable of making the necessary changes.
    If "over there" changes, it has lot of positive influence in the whole world.

For the censored countries (China is really not the only one) people might be inspired to be of some help with software especially created for that, which is discussed in some older threads here too, like peek-a-booty. But that's personal choice of course.

7. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

As of today, without comment of the Chinese government, the Chinese can "Google" again.
    I have not yet seen this confirmed in english, but the source is trustworthy enough: http://www.webwereld.nl/nieuws/12437.phtml

Regards,

Pieter

8. controler

controler Guest

China is still a communist nation which must be brought down or some day they will do something very stupid to the rest of the world as they now do to their own people. They are not a free Nation, that's why the terrorists don't bother them.
    For some reason terrorists and communists think we, the USA are a weak nation, NOT SO>............
    We are not only strong but very compassionate ;)

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Ladies and gents,

Please let's not turn this thread into a fully political one. "Bringing Nations down" isn't the topic on this thread.

No offense - and thanks in advance ;).

regards.

paul

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

For those who don't read dutch, the article says they can Google partly and use part of Altavista, not the web sites in Chinese, but they're often redirected by internal Chinese search engines which don't seem to have anything suspicious on them.
    But we speak here about China, there are many other countries with not free internet and .. anybody knows about circumstances and measures there?

11. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

You're absolutely right of course Jooske.

It's even closer than one might expect:
    http://news.com.com/2100-1040-956357.html
    Slightly different, I agree, but this cuts of a part of the internet as well.

Regards,

Pieter

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

That is a nasty as well, and the mobile phones are not quite clear in this story: if it is all mobile phones, so which cuts communication (which is not free anyway) or those which after investigation to have gaming possibilities on them only.
    There some 20 countries more in the stories, at least!

13. My sister and her husband are teaching in Universitry in China..My sister did this last year also. This problem you are discussing is no big deal. I get email from them everyday..I even share some of that with members of another forum as an ongoing diary.

I see the news media has made an approach to the Google and AltaVisit thing to make just about everyone in the West get on some type of bandwagon.

I have done business in China when it first opened up some years ago to US companies. This is no different.

I will not argue with any of you..some one will get the contract :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

14. burns

burns Guest

I also want to say : that I am so happy that I do not live in China.

Look on the internet and check up : golden shield and what it does. I'm sure in future that they will put chips into their citizens when the technology becomes cheaper to implement. And just think whats going to happen to the world in 30 years time when they say that china will become a superpower.

15. burns

burns Guest

I also want to say : that I am so happy that I do not live in China.

Look on the internet and check up : golden shield and what it does. I'm sure in future that they will put chips into their citizens when the technology becomes cheaper to implement. And just think whats going to happen to the world in 30 years time when they say that china will become a superpower.

16. Prince_Serendip

Google is back in China!

Google is back in China but don't try asking any difficult questions

China's web censors have lifted their ban on access to the popular international Google search engine - but they have ways of making sure no one asks the wrong question.

A search for Australian prime minister John Howard yesterday netted 200,000 internet pages; his Japanese counterpart Junichiro Koizumi scored 40,000. Yet when the magic name of Chinese president Jiang Zemin was entered, Google consistently replied that the information "is currently unavailable".

Read More.....

17. Breaking New Ground

Privacy works both ways..I have friends all over the world that do NOT want google or any spyder into their site...network,,etc. They do not have anything to hide from Authorities..they just like it that way. ;)

I do not know how many of you understand what it really takes to have these search engines even "recognize" your site if you wanted the publicity.

It is a madhouse.. even to the point of submissions after submissions and then pay most to even do it..some even have a monthly charge to your site.

I just want to present the other side of the coin as the media keeps on tracking the Google..AltaVista power
    struggle and pin the tale on the donkey with China.

This is all big business guys...long term stuff with many rice bowls to take into considerations...even Googles :p :p

The only other point I would like to make..the White House does not like to get hacked or DDOSed.,...they are not the only ones.

I will leave it at that.

Be Well,

John

18. Prince_Serendip

Re: Google for China

:) Hi John!

I understand your point of view here. Politics talks but the money still walks! The politics and the rhetoric of same are largely irrelevant before the interests of big-time money and commerce. What people say they will do and what they clearly choose to do are two different things. <--(i.e. China and Google/Altavista)

Like your friends, I resent any authority which attempts to intrude or trespass upon my privacy! I am most strongly influenced by my own Spirit, and not by the likes of Google, politics, big-time money nor China.

This news item is "Submitted for your approval." to quote Rod Serling. It does not represent my personal view. It is simply one more aspect of the complex dance being performed by the participants. Interesting, the steps people make!

Lastly, contrary to popular notions, humans actually are evolving. (ROTFL) In a few million years things could be much better and all of this forgotten! ;)

Best regards from Larry!

19. Paul Wilders

Hi John,

You're probably right here. Nevertheless: we have never submitted our site(s) to for example Google. When performing a search on - let's say:

- antitrojans
    - antiviruses
    - free security tools

our main site shows up ehmm..let's say on the first page.

Bottom line: it does not necessarily takes money in order to get ranked rather prominent ;).

regards.

paul

20. Hi Paul,
    I am familar with every single search engine out there and what it takes to get listed and stay that way. I have helped many sites do just that.

Yes I am sure you do not pay Google. :D
    I do not even know if you have ever submitted to them..But you should. For example you can now find on google every single post and forum at DSLR by "word search" or even just by the name of the poster. I do not think you need that here...but it is a thought.

This is an overview of how google works but there is lots more to the issue.
    Have you ever worked with themo_O

Articles:
    Search Engines/
    Google Ranking tips

Pagerank™
    http://www.akamarketing.com/google-ranking-tips.html

As you say no matter what they can only get to the front page of your forum no matter what one searches for...

examples.

Search:
    site:www.wilderssecurity.com Fanj

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&client=googlet&q=+site:www.wilderssecurity.com+Fanj

Search:
    MyNethingyman

http://www.google.com/search?client=googlet&q=MyNethingyman

I guess that gets them to the right site...but the topic or subject search will never let them inside.

21. I apologize to Prince and others for hijacking the thread.

My only thought here was turning it into something that might also be important. I see google only reviews that search on this site about once a month. You might want it that way so forgive me.

My thoughts were on the "Xupiter"...as an example.

Now...Sandi's MVP site has it covered by google search now I see.
    http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:ChMzxykAIJgC:www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm+Xupiter&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&client=googlet

And so does doxdesk to some extent. ;) ;)

http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:qhRDBFWTjEEC:and.doxdesk.com/+Xupiter+name+game&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&client=googlet

Now..if wilders would also come up...and then people come here to get the answer..they will be happy ,stick around, see all the rest of the great stuff here...etc..

Ok I will shut up ;-)

22. Paul Wilders

Thanks John!

Call us stubborn: we will not submit our site(s) to any search engine. They'll show up - or not. ;)

regards.

paul

23. Good..the "negatives" far outweigh the "positives" and your experience again shines through ;)

Wilders does not need that kind of coverage...it stands on it own reputation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.