No firewall prompts

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by nickster_uk, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickster_uk

nickster_uk Registered Member

[RESOLVED]No firewall prompts

I run the firewall module in interactive mode and I have quite a few custom rules for various applications. However, there's no such rule for Internet Explorer but when I launch the application, I usually do not see a prompt. Access is somehow granted automatically which is a little annoying.

I'm using ESS v5.2.9 which was installed yesterday. I was previously using v4.2.71.2 which didn't have this problem.

Can anyone recommend a fix please?

Cheers.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I tried rebooting a number of times and switching the firewall modes around then back to interactive but still didn't have any joy.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. nickster_uk

Uninstalled v5, rebooted then installed v4.2.71.2 again and all is working as it should.

Have to say i've been quite disappointed with v5 since it was released. There have been so many bugs and problems with it and I do appreciate that some have been addressed but I expect better from ESET. I'm not being petulant by saying that. I think ESET products have an extremely good reputation and i'm happy to recommend ESS and NOD to friends, so the support and development needs to match that reputation and v5 has let you down.

Still no help on this one either:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=327357

3. nickster_uk

Spoke too soon...the problem is now occurring on v4.2.71.2 as well.

I think it could be related to a module update but not sure.

Could anyone else test this please?

4. Somersett

Somersett Registered Member

I have also had numerous problems with Eset Smart Security v5 since installing it. The latest of these commenced a few weeks ago when my computer starting hanging on startup requiring hard resets. I investigated and eventually established that deactivating the Eset Firewall solved the problem. I have contacted Eset Support on four separate occasions but they have been unable to provide a solution. I have uninstalled Eset Smart Security and I am now running MSE and Windows Firewall with no issues whatsoever. My Eset Licence ( Three Computer ) expires in November. I will not be renewing same.

5. nickster_uk

L'il more info...

It seems that i'm not getting prompts for anything through port 80 when in interactive mode. It's the same for multiple browsers. If I load up a secure site, i'll get a prompt for the browser on port 443.

This should help narrow things down.

Can anyone think of any particular setting that I should look at please?

6. nickster_uk

It's a shame as ESET is a brand I put a lot of trust and faith into.

I appreciate that there will be bugs and they will sometimes only affect some users but I feel the lack of support on this forum is very poor.

I noticed that you reported the same 'error writing antispam counters' problem that i've been having as well. A couple of years have passed and the bug is still present and that is unbelievable...especially when ESET have acknowledged the issue and were working on a fix.

I've got just under 2 years left on my subscription and I sincerely hope things improve in that time.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It is not in the competency of ESET's moderators to make decisions about what should be fixed and when. I'd strongly suggest contacting Customer care when you run into an issue so that they can collect all information and pass it further to developers and marketers.
    As for the issue with writing antispam counters, I've emailed the people responsible for making such decisions to give it higher priority even if the number of users reporting it was very low.

8. Somersett

Somersett Registered Member

Marcos, I tried that to no avail. Four calls each dealt with by a different Customer Care representative in as many days with no resolution. I ended up having to remove Eset Smart Security 5 from my computer in order to stop it hanging on startup. I am currently running MSE and Windows Firewall on the said computer with no issues whatsoever.

9. nickster_uk

Not sure that I suggested anywhere that the ESET moderators were responsible for any decision making with regards to fixes and time scales.

I called tech support earlier today and was fobbed off so it's not something that i'm planning on repeating too soon.

I like being able to post issues on forums where other members and users can pool their resources and generate fixes.

I appreciate you emailing the developers for the antispam issue. Thanks.

10. nickster_uk

Unchecked 'Allow all traffic within the computer' and the prompt has returned.

It wasn't entirely down to ESS. I use a program called Ad Muncher which binds itself to the local host. However, I can't remember changing that option and I think it may even be new so perhaps it's a default??

Anyway, 'problem' solved :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.