No disks found outside Windows

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Derek Baker, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek Baker

Derek Baker Registered Member

Had some problems today that led me to try to restore an image.

However on rebooting True Image told me it could find no disks. The same occurred with the Rescue CD. The image is good in Windows.

Although I have the system in AHCI mode, the problem occurred even when it was set to basic SATA mode.

As it was the problem appears to have been solved anyway, but having True Image fail just when needed most rather destroys it's purpose.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Win XP Home SP3
    True Image version 8.0 (build 937) - I know it's old. Was going to upgrade when a version that was good for Vista was released.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Download the Trial of ver 11, install it in a way you can uninstall it cleanly after making the bootable Rescue CD and use the CD to do the restore of that ver 8 Image.

If you've read any of the past messages you will find that it has always been recommended to do a test restore to a spare drive to see if it will actually work. Don't wait until you must do a restore.

3. Derek Baker

Is that in AHCI mode or will it need to set basic SATA mode?

Maybe I did test it when it was new. Been using it for more than three years and am on totally different hardware now.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you aren't aware of this, the TI rescue CD is a Linux environment and it may not have the appropriate drivers to support your hardware. Even when you start a restore in Windows the PC will boot into the Linux recovery mode which is the same as is on the CD since Windows can't be running when the restore is being done. It is imperative that you requalify the TI rescue CD when you make a change to your hardware particularly the the disk subsystem.

As was mentioned a test restore to a spare drive is the absolute best way. The next best way is boot up the TI CD and validate an archive. This demonstrates the archive can be found and read properly. Also run through the Restore wizard up to the point where you have to click "Proceed" then cancel out before starting the restore.

5. Derek Baker

DwnNdrty, thanks. The v11 disc saw the v8 images fine. Though only did a validate, not a restore.

seekforever, good points. Thanks.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Derek Baker,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

I may also recommend you to try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Note that as you use an older version of Acronis True Image you should press F11 button when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and not when the selection screen appears (Acronis True Image 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD does not have selection screen).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.