No Copy/Paste because of SpywareBlaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Blaze, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blaze

Blaze Registered Member

As of yesterday I don't get a menu when I right click my mouse button in wordpad. I do get the menu when I right click in internet explorer. In internet explorer when I get the menu (after clicking on the right button of my mouse) I do have the option of clicking "copy", but when I try to paste it in msn messenger the word "paste" is grayed out. So I'm not able to paste in msn messenger, but I'm not even getting the menu in wordpad.

I have discovered where the problem (partly) resides. When I open internet explorer and go to options, I click on the security tab and then select the internet zone, after having done this I click on custom level where I can select different options for windows XP. One of which is enabling, disabling or prompting to copy/paste.

However to my surprise this option was allready on enable, so I disabled it and enabled it again. This had no effect whatsoever. So then someone told me to click on the reset button that resets the security settings to any level one chooses. I did this, but to no avail.

What I did next was to reset the security settings to High. To my utter amazement, I could copy/paste again! You might think problem solved what's the issue. The problem is, that I'm no longer able to copy/paste unless I have the security settings reset to high. Which is a problem because now there are other things which I can't do, like logging into hotmail. So the "high" security profile handicaps alot of other things in exchange for letting me copy/paste. You might argue to leave it on "high" and manually change the other options I require. I can do this, but.. after clicking ok, copy/paste stops working again. Also setting security to high does not work every time either. Seems like a game of chance

This is so frustrating, I had one more guess but I wasn't sure about it. I'm using Spyware blaster. I'm thinking maybe this is preventing me from changing my security profile in a way that I can't use other features as well as copy/paste. I disabled spywareblaster and behold! it worked again, so I enabled it once more but alas I couldn't copy/paste. So this confirmed my suspicions however when I disabled it again, this time... I did NOT get copy/paste back.

I know that spywareblaster does something to the security settings because it always alerts me to the fact that my security is too low and that active x is enabled. But to stop me from using copy/paste is a little to extreme for me. lol

Any suggestions on how to get my copy/paste back will be much appreciated.

2. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

Blaze

How does SpwareBlaster alert you about your security settings being too low? I run SB too and it doesn't alert me, even if I deliberately set them to low.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Blaze....Welcome to Wilders [​IMG]

From what you are describing....I would be curious to know if this happens on any site you are at....or only at Internet, Trusted or Restricted Sites.

The reason being....each time Spywareblaster is opened....it looks\query's at the below reg keys in respect to the Internet Zone. It also sets a value of disabled for the below reg keys in respect to the Restricted Zone....no matter what ones setting is at. As you can see....the only value dealing with copy\paste is the Restricted Zone.

• Internet Zone....plus what it recommends
      HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3
      1001 Download signed ActiveX controls....Prompt
      1004 Download unsigned ActiveX controls....Disabled
      1201 Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe....Disabled

• Restricted Zone....sets value to disabled....no matter what
      HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\4
      1001 Download signed ActiveX controls
      1004 Download unsigned ActiveX controls
      1201 Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe
      1400 Active scripting
      1402 Scripting of Java applets
      1407 Allow paste operations via script
      1800 Installation of desktop items
      1802 Drag and drop or copy and paste files
      1803 File Download
      1804 Launching programs and files in an IFRAME

Just a thought :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.