NMS?

Discussion in 'NOD32 Early v2 Beta' started by Pilli, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Feeling a bit thick today, What is NMS? Can't find any help on it as it does not show in the Help contents Modules section or in the Index. o_O

Cheers Pilli

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Hi Pilli;

see this thread http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5714

Technodrome

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:mad: Thanks Technodrome, No "real" info' there, perhaps a NOD mod might like to throw some light on it.

Pilli

4. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hey Pilli,

could you pls. specify closer what info except that on http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5714 would you need?

Thx. :)

jan

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Quote from: Marcos on December 27, 2002, 03:25:33 PM
    NMS stands for NOD Mail Scanner.

In a nutshell:
    NMS is used for scanning e-mails being received by clients
    supporting MAPI interface (that's easy to confuse with POP3), e.g MS Outlook corporate version.

:D OK Jan I missed that first time round - Obviously NMS is not completed yet :(

6. Benzo

Benzo Guest

Is there a way to permanently disable NMS?

7. jan

Hi Benzo,

>Is there a way to permanently disable NMS?

NMS has been chnged to EMON in Beta4.

You can do it e.g. by unchecking the EMON installation option checkbox during the NOD32 installation.

rgds, :)

jan

8. marti

marti Registered Member

That doesn't work. Each time I reboot the system, I have to manually turn EMON off. I selected "no" during installation. I had the same problem with the previous beta (except the component was called NMS).

9. faffy

faffy Registered Member

I have the same problem. Every time I disable EMON, after reboot it is activated by itself.

Faffy

10. jan

To clarify the behaviour:

the checkbox in the NOD installation setup (EMON dialog) says:

"Install EMON to the default profile"

That means if the user is using e.g MS Outlook in the Corporate mode with the MAPI interface and:

- the checkbox above is checked the EMON is installed to the default profile ( The "NOD Mail Scanner" is addded to MS Outlook[corp. mode]>Tools>Services)

- if that checkbox is not checked - the EMON is enabled, but nothing is added to the default profile

Hope it helps.

rgds, :)

jan

11. Peterg

Peterg Registered Member

Jan,

This is not completely clear to me or perhaps what faffy and marti have expressed to you is being misunderstood. I noticed the same "problem" as they did and perhaps I can explain what I understand regarding this situation and how it applies to me. I am going from using the beta4 a few days ago (back to 1.x at the moment) but I don't think my recollection is too hazy.

I use Pegasus for my email which is Mapi compliant but I do NOT use Mapi. As I understand it, for simple pop3 mail Imon is used for scanning incoming email. If I want to disable Imon I simply go into its setup and disable it and when I reboot it is not marked as being active. Simple and clear.

With Emon, there is no button under setup to disable it. Since I am not using Mapi or Outlook for that matter that module is of no use to me. I would like to disable it in the sense of not even seeing it as being active. It is not doing anything I know but just having that Emon button showing "Green" and seeing that the enable button is "ticked" is an irritant. I can easily untick it but when I boot up again I know it will be ticked again.

We would like to see Emon, when we decide to disable it, to always show clearly that it is disabled and there will be persistence through reboots etc.

I always have selected "expert" or whatever it is called in setup and I have clearly attempted to load the minimum amount. Whatever I do does not appear to make a difference.

Peter

12. jan

Hi Peterg,

OK - I add some more explanations:

the next version will include the following features:

- if the checkbox "EMON enabled" will be unchecked, it'll be kept also after restart of the machine

- if it is not relevant, the EMON icon will be not visible in the Control Center.

Thanks, :)

jan

13. Peterg

Peterg Registered Member

Thanks very much Jan.

That is just what I wanted to hear.

Ideally I would like only what is actually selected to be installed in a so-called "expert" installation to be shown in Nod32. In effect, I would like the program interface to merely function as a "container" of the selected programs, eg Amon but no Imon or Emon and the modules for the latter two not being installed at all, thus reducing bloat. I have plenty of processing power and memory here but I still dislike the tendency of programs to become more bloated due to marketing reasons.

This is the reason why I dropped KAV, as excellent as it is, after several years, as version 4.0 became another NAV and due to my setup I could not run KAV 3.5 anymore.

The only lingering concern I have about Nod32 is the alleged lack of ability to pick up on Trojans compared to KAV which apparently is the gold standard in that regard. And I don't want to run another program just for Trojans.

Thanks for your excellent assistance.

P.S. When will Nod32 Version 2.0 come out of beta and go Gold?

Peter

14. jan

Peterg,
    We'll look what we can do with that. Anyway, we are always trying to avoid too much "bloatware". :)

We know about that. It's becoming better now. :)

The answer is on the link (Reply#43):

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=4409;start=30

Thanks,

jan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.