NIS2010 error & Symantec support

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EliteKiller, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

NIS2010 ccSvcHst.exe error & Symantec support

I installed NIS2010 a few weeks ago, and every time it runs an idle or scheduled Full scan I receive a ccSvcHst.exe - Application Error.

Once you click OK it shuts the program down.

This morning at 5:30am CST the error popped up again, so I decided to try the One Click Support and chose the chat option. I was greeted by a tech named Sarin in less than one minute which was a pleasant surprise. I provided the full error message as seen in the screenshot below, then Sarin asked to remotely connect to my pc since I was at the system with the problem. After I downloaded and ran the LogMeIn Rescue file Sarin took control of the mouse. He headed over the the System properties to see what kind of OS/cpu/memory I had (XPP SP3, Athlon 64 3800+ @ 2.7, 2GB DDR), and then went to the Advanced settings to check out my Virtual memory. I have it set to System Managed and 2GB was allocated. He then clicked on Custom size but did not enter in a value which I thought was odd. Afterwards he clicked Set and was prompted to reboot the computer. Since I had a text file opened but not saved I halted the reboot and asked him if he was trying to set a specific size. He said "I didn't change anything", so I asked him if he'd like me to enter in the values and he said 'yes'. Weird. So I went back and set a 3GB static swap and rebooted.

When the OS came back up he was still connected. Since I have Hitman Pro installed it scans on every reboot. He noticed the Hitman GUI in the background and said that it may be conflicting with NIS2010. I told him it does not have an active service and is on demand only, however he probably thought it was a rogue so I simply uninstalled it for the time being. He then emptied the Windows Temp & Prefetch directories. Finally he started a Norton Full scan and now I am no longer receiving the ccSvcHst.exe error.

I am not one to usually post about my personal tech support experiences. However I thought it might be a good idea since Google had no results on the issue, and I felt that Symantec provided exceptional support. Total time from start to finish was ~15 min. :thumb: :thumb:

* FWIW I reinstalled Hitman Pro and the Norton error has not resurfaced.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Really good to hear good support stories. I am using NIS2010 on my Wifes laptop and so far have been very impressed. Not needed support yet but good to know it there.

Cheers

Jlo

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Good to hear you are satisfied :thumb:

I am more satisfied from their forum than from the one-click chat support . I find their guys kind of slow on writing (perhaps they should improve their fast typing :D ) and most of the times they don't or can't answer specific questions - they (the guys with very strange names) kind of prefer to narrow the issue down to something described in some KB article .

Something else I have noticed and I hate - they ask me for email , telephone number (real one) and they insist on confirming them , then they give you a case number and you should wait about 3-5 minutes , which is kind of boring in an IM conversation , before starting .

I can say only good words for the guys in their forum/community. :thumb:

4. dschrader

dschrader AV Expert

The Norton community can be reached here;

http://community.norton.com/norton/

It is an excellent source of info/support on our products - and is esp helpful if you are using beta products since tech support won't be able to help with pre-release products.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@dschrader
    Nice to see you (some of the Symantec staff) are not only staying in your own forum but also in other reputable forums such as Wilders :thumb:

6. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

How else would they have known to redesign there AV from the bloat it was before.... They cant just sit in there form and pretend all is merry. ;)

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Of course they can but when/if this happens , lots of people will run away from them . Somebody at Symantec realised something was not merry and the result came in their 2009 product :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.