NIS uninstall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have uninstalled NIS by the method described in its help( by add remove of windows) and it went smooth.

I want to know, do still I need to use Norton Uninstall Tool to get rid of any remnants or it,s not needed?

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I say yes, on past experience. I have often removed NAV or NIS from Add/Remove Programs only to discover that internet access or some other aspect of Windows has mysteriously become screwed. The simple use of SymNRT or one of the other applicable tools usually restores the broken functionality.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have no such problems and I have uninstalled it, so should i run the tool or not?

4. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

You must have missed the bit where I said "I say yes".

I figured you were asking because you wanted to completely remove all traces of NIS from your system, so I advised you to run the tools for that purpose, since otherwise there will be stray processes and other leftovers still clogging your system.

What I cited was merely an example of the kind of dross left behind and what it can do to some systems, but every case will be different.

So it's up to you. If you want to leave your PC alone because you feel it's running well, then fine, do so. If you want to be thorough and remove every last trace of NIS from your system, then get the tools from Symantec and run them to clean up the mess. I'm certainly not making the decision for you, nor am I gonna come around and do it for you. All I'll do is offer my advice/opinion, then it's up to you to take it or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.