NIS/NAV 2010 Beta just started

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by yaslaw, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thathagat

thathagat Guest

well i was wondering if there is any marked dis-advantage in running nav2009 instead of this beta for my sisters pc still has her registered nav 2009 ?

2. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

The final versions of Norton 2010 are expected to be released in August or September so I don't think there're anything worths uninstalling NAV2009, then installing NAV2010 BETA for merely 1 month, then uninstalling it and installing the final version again.

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

quanzi_1507 does have a good point, but one that I think is bigger is that it's beta software. Personally I can't even boot once I restart with it installed, and the SONAR won't go on. That means I've sadly only been able to test for very short periods, but since I went through things in a row, I got a list of like 20 different things, so. :) Only install it on your own system if you're interested in testing/using it. You should note that I don't run software that I test in a VM, but that also makes me forced to reformat my system often because it gets crippled.

4. raven211

No problem, mate. :) It wasn't too clear with the link that I posted in my message too, simply because it was mainly an answer to what I quoted. ;)

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i dont test software in a VM either. try out rollback rx or similar program to create a snapshot of before u install or uninstall software then u can quickly revert back to it when needed. this makes it so u dont need to always reformat :)

6. raven211

Nah, np actually - I don't need to reformat after every software that I test. :p I've actually tested a big lot on this installation already, but truth be told, I was trying to get down a more up-to-date installation CD before reformatting, so... but it's not too far away from when I thought about reformatting first. :D I only think it's great to get a new OS installation now and then, as long as I'm not literally forced to reformat (I did say "forced" before when I should have said something in the lines of "it feels like it's time to make a new installation" :D). Then it could be good with a solution like Rollback Rx, but I always figure out a way to solve things anyway, so it would be a big waste of money, and especially in the situation I'm right now. :D Thanks for the tip, though! :)

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Imaging is another solution. If you have an image of the system as you like it before any major program changes, you could in theory restore to that without having to reformat and start over. However, this is really a discussion for another topic perhaps and as such is going off track for this thread. ;)

8. firzen771

yes considering i said basically the same thing... :cautious:

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Although Rollback Rx isn't an imaging program, I guess it's similar in some respects. I was thinking more specifically of actual imaging applications like ShadowProtect, Acronis TrueImage et al.

10. firzen771

accomplished the same task just cant backup to an external source perhaps is the difference or a file that u can move basically.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Are you sure? Norton Internet Security 2010 contains the Brightmail anti-spam engine, which has impressive performance statistics:

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It still has no tool bar for Vista Windows mail and in my test of spam emails it was about the same as 2009. Which isnt bad but it isnt some new earth shattering results. Having said that, to be fair, I have yet to see anyone really tackle spam very well. Eset does well.

13. Pleonasm

Symantec has published some information about the new SONAR 2 technology used within Norton Internet Security 2010…

14. raven211

Thank you for the heads up. :) I'll read it through.

15. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Well, I did some testing, and for what I could see (Unless, something else went wrong, hence causing the error), it still demands that DNS Client is enabled. Disabling it will cause NIS/NAV to stop functioning.

I came across this behavior in NIS/NAV 2009, and it even made licenses to stop working.

I have no idea whether or not is something done by design.

16. raven211

It sure sounds like a vulnerability, even if it's intentional. Could you please post this question over at their official forums? (The beta forum for 2010)

17. controler

controler Guest

Is this Beta still running out 21st July?
    Mine says it is.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

19. controler

controler Guest

It appears to have auto updated a new key :D

I do have a question about zipped files though.

I have a file NIS catches as Bloodhound.Exploit.193
    I am guessing it gives the name because of it's heuristics finding.
    The file is part of a zipped folder I downloaded on purpose. If I unzip the folder
    NIS blocks and deletes the file. If I click on the zipped file , I use 7-Zip, NIS still reports the file blocked but leaves it in the Zipped folder. IS that normal?
    Currently I am running NIS in default mode.

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If you open Settings and look at the "Computer Scans" section there is an option to "Remove Infected Compressed Files" which is OFF by default.

21. Pleonasm

Commentary from PC Magazine...

And some impressive results...

22. Pleonasm

Norton Internet Security 2010 adds "vulnerability protection” (see screen image and here) to detect applications that need to be patched (updated) and security configurations that need to be modified. A nice feature, indeed!

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It's a good idea to integrate this into the suite. Of course Secunia has been available for a long time, and is perhaps the best app for this task :cool:

24. iwod

iwod Registered Member

NIS 10 looks good..... i have been recommanding 09 ever since i have beta tested it. 10 looks to improve even further.

Although i am still waiting for Microsoft Morro to see how well it does.

25. raven211

What is best can always be discussed, but I won't do that here. :D Keep in mind that (for example) Secunia PSI works very different; with PSI you get prompted that your system is not secure in terms of vulnerable software, which you then try to protect by downloading and installing new updates easily and conveniently with PSI's help, but with N2010 it's much easier.

It doesn't matter if your software DOES have an exploit, or many, because if Norton sees an exploit, it'll block it dead-stop. This means that you don't necessarily need to worry about manually updating your software in order to stay safe from exploits (which the software-makers are aware of), cause your system is already protected against them the time that you install Norton.

This feature builds upon Intrusion Prevention, which has already been protecting against various exploits for a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.