NIS/NAV 2010 Beta just started

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by yaslaw, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

The official NAV/NIS 2010 BETA is now open:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/beta/

This year the Norton Protection System has been enhanced and our new SONAR 2 technology to stop new and unknown threats. To protect your PC’s performance, we have added the Norton Performance System.

Testing Windows 7? Norton AntiVirus 2010 will protect your Windows 7 system from all types of malicious software.

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/home_homeoffice/images/multimedia/screenshots/small/nav-main-1-sm.jpg

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/home_homeoffice/images/multimedia/screenshots/small/nav-insight-1-sm.jpg

http://www.symantec.com/content/en/us/home_homeoffice/images/multimedia/screenshots/small/nav-monthly-report-1-sm.jpg

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i like the old gui much better so far

3. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

Agreed. That "Download Intelligence" feature does look nice, though.

4. Malcontent

NAV/NIS 2010 Beta Forums:
    http://community.norton.com/norton/board?board.id=nis2010_pb

New and Improved Features

Performance Enhancements
    The 2010 products improve on the very high performance bar already set by the 2009 products. The Beta builds will be regularly updated, with later builds improving on performance and functionality.

Enhanced Norton Insight
    Norton Insight is built on the Symantec Quorum backend intelligence technology first introduced in the 2009 products. In 2009 Norton Insight only quantified trustworthiness, in 2010 Norton Insight also provides information on prevalence, age, and runtime performance data.

Download Insight
    Download Insight is a new line of defense against the introduction of untrusted applications on your system. Download Insight monitors new application or installer downloads, automatically analyzes and classifies the application using the Quorum technology, and provides you with a trust rating for the application before allowing the application or installer to execute.

Performance Monitoring

The system performance monitoring now also monitors system events such as application installations, and we monitor process performance. This information is graphed over time, to make it easier to determine if an application may be the cause of degraded performance.

Enhanced SONAR
    The SONAR behavioral protection technology was completely re-written for the 2010 products. SONAR now also utilizes the Quorum backend intelligence technology to further improve detections and reduce false positives.

Power Savings
    Power saving options are available that helps conserve battery power by only running non-critical when on AC power.

Silent Mode
    The Silent Mode functionality was enhanced to include Quiet Mode on automatic detection of CD/DVD burning and media recording applications. Users can now also define their own applications that will trigger Quiet Mode.

Anti Spam
    The Anti Spam technology was completely re-written for the 2010 products. The Anti Spam engine is now using the world’s leading Symantec Brightmail technology. The engine is further enhanced to not only perform local scanning, but to also double check the results in real-time against the backend system, further increasing the effectiveness and reducing false positives.

Windows 7 Support
    Full support for Windows 7, including support for Teredo, Windows Mail, and Home Groups.

5. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

well it looks nice,i am installing it right away

6. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

well i had a BSOD while norton was starting itself up after installation and i am having following message shown from taskbar...

Attached Files:

• hhh.JPG
      hhh.JPG
      File size:
      22.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Malcontent

You can report any problems with the 2010 Beta here:

http://community.norton.com/norton/board?board.id=nis2010_pb

I've installed NAV 2010 beta and everything is running fine so far.

8. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

To be honest I like this one better, atleast from what I see. :D They've taken my suggestion that were made during the 2009-beta but didn't go through to make it a square instead of rounded corners - or they simply decided by themselves that it's better. :p :D Then they're in general a company who know what to do when it comes to the GUI, and they can make a black interface without making it confusing IMO. (Maybe you're able to still choose from different themes? Could always suggest that they make a 2009-look available going under some name. :))

Don't worry too much though... the interface doesn't seem finalized, but on another note it's good enough for me to not start the same 11-page or more discussion about the interface. :D:D:D

9. ThE WiZ

ThE WiZ Registered Member

I'm testing now NIS 2010 working just fine XP pro.

Attached Files:

10. raven211

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yeah seems really nice but i hope its not going to start getting bloated again like their old stuff or im gone... one thing i LOVE about nis2009 is literally no browsing slowdowns. with this new insight stuff im hoping it doesnt do like others do where they cause slowdowns upon downloading and watching vids etc.. nis2009 is so awesome for surfing / downloading right now

12. raven211

No zfactor, it's doing the opposite - improving on 2009's success.

13. Malcontent

Keep in mind that Symantec stated that the BETA's will run a little slower because they have turned on internal diagnostics/logging features. These are used to help fix bugs, ect. The official released 2010 software will run faster then the Beta's.

14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Raven211, I agree that the new approach used by Symantec is very intriguing. Nonetheless, it is still the case that Symantec could misclassify a malware instance as “safe” and thereby allow an infection to occur on a user’s PC -– correct?

A few questions for the beta testers of Norton Internet Security 2010…

1. Is Symantec’s new cloud-based reputation system (“Quorum”) in Norton Internet Security 2010 a replacement to -- or a supplement for -- the signature-based antivirus approach used in the 2009 version? Has the need to run LiveUpdate in NIS10 to update antivirus signatures disappeared?
    2. Symantec says that “Quorum … receives feeds from tens of millions of customers that anonymously participate in the Norton Community Watch program.” In Norton Internet Security 2010, is participation in the Norton Community Watch program voluntary as it has historically been – or, is it now mandatory?

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm not a beta tester for Norton, but reading the article above and seeing the screenshots thus far (in particular the one in post #34) seem to indicate to me that the cloud-based technology is supplementary to the downloading of signatures.

I think some of those AVs introducing cloud-based technologies will continue to use signatures; some will, however, give you the option to use the cloud or not. It'd be interesting to know whether one can choose to use Quorum or if it's mandatory in NIS 2010.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  16. raven211

It's kinda mandatory as it's the main-technology to identify threats on your system, analyzing data. The process of Quorum is lightning-fast, and should prevent malware that might slip through otherwise - new, and maybe even things not so new, but still undiscovered. I can't see a reason why anyone would like to turn this off.

17. raven211

"Raven211, I agree that the new approach used by Symantec is very intriguing. Nonetheless, it is still the case that Symantec could misclassify a malware instance as “safe” and thereby allow an infection to occur on a user’s PC -– correct?" - Could happen to any security program, could happen now, could've happened before - the fact that they start using this technology doesn't make a difference.

We can discuss this back and forth as that would mean Prevx could as well do the same thing.

1. As the definitions still help for certain situations in an important way, for reasons that have been discussed here at Wilders for example, having the exact instructions on cleaning a threat and so on - yes, it's still a part of the software. All the components of Norton are simply working together in order to protect your system as good as possible.

2. Participating in the Norton Community Watch is still completely up to you. ;) I dunno how this affects the data in Qourum, but I remember this was discussed somewhere at the official beta forums of the 2010-line. You can find the forum here: http://community.norton.com/norton/board?board.id=nis2010_pb - I would suggest that, if you don't find the information you're looking for, register if not a member already and ask about it there.

18. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm trying it, but Norton says the virus sigs. were updated 4 days ago. Each time I try to update, no updates are found.

19. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Full virus definitions won't always be available since Symantec is revamping their virus definitions for the 2010 product line. Pulse updates will still work, though.

20. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Should the display after "Run LiveUpdate" change? It kept saying "4 days ago."

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would think it would.

22. raven211

Nope - not when it doesn't have access to a full definition file.

23. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

FYI -- Readers of this thread may be interested in the conversation occurring here about changes in scanning in Norton Internet Security 2010. It appears that NIS10 will by default will only examine files that are unrecognized by Quorum, greatly speeding a system scan.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thank you and good reading.

25. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Also, how exactly does Automatic Program Control work? If you got infected with a file Norton does not recognize, would it just allow outbound with no prompt?

Without APC, Norton is too noisy IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.