NIS/NAV 2010 Beta just started

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by yaslaw, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

looks almost the same to me from the screen shots i saw imo they are probably just adding support for win7 and maybe some new features but ill bet it runs just like the current one does.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have been testing the new NIS beta for several weeks and it is a bit different. can't go into details as per the non disclosure agreement.

bigc

4. zfactor

just downloaded it so we will take a look and see ... is it as fast and light as the previous one bigc??

5. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

what "non disclosure agreement" ??
    Right now there is empty box

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/8690/nis.gif

I agree it's slighty diffirent then previous 2009 ver.

The screenshot section under beta page are from NIS 2009 :D

6. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up - been interested in testing the upcoming version for long now. Does anyone know if NAV2010 will be available to, as I run only AV on that front on software. :rolleyes:

7. thathagat

thathagat Guest

nav2010 beta link..........http://www.symantec.com/norton/beta/overview.jsp?pvid=nav2010

8. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Anyone have comments (that can be properly shared) about the extent to which the 2010 edition of Norton Internet Security has enhanced its “cloud-based” (i.e., “herd intelligence”) functionality?

9. thathagat

thathagat Guest

nav 2010 beta few screen shots.......................

Attached Files:

10. zfactor

testing the nis2010 now ill let you know as soon as i can with anything i see.. honeslty there is not much of a change and it still feels just as fast as before

11. raven211

Yeah, as noted on the official forums, the seemingly public download was a mistake and is indeed an Alpha release, and not stable enough to be called a Beta, or be released to the general public for that part. I'll retest the things I've noted once it's publically available, and that would be on NAV and not NIS, because of what I stated in my previous post. Many problems seen and observations obviously, where observations will probably be what is more probable to "stay" even as the newer build is released.

I'll reinstall MSE till the public release is here.

12. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

Hmm.. As I saw is Norton File Info - where you can check every file and see "community ranking" and "norton trusted rating" for a fille. What is intresting it also a tab where you can check performance impact of a file to your computer. As I understood these ratings are made by "cloud-technology" (it's development from previous norton insight)

Moreover, please correct me if I wrong SONAR which is someting in the middle between behavioral analysis and cloud-based analysis have more options to set...

regards

13. raven211

Yes, correct. I'm anxious to find out what those options are and how they affect its operation, but I'll wait till I've retested the public beta of NAV once it's out and then ask my questions and report the stuff I find out to them - bugs and the like, observations, etc. I'll guess that the software is getting more and more flexibility as it moves forward, and that these controls will let us tweak how for example how SONAR will go, how agressive it'll go in its analyzis-process. I also guess that the Automatic option for SONAR, and maybe Advanced Heuristic for the manual scan too, will make it determine a file's probability to be malware, by at the same time looking at its behavior while looking at its "cloud-statistics".

I got so anxious right now to take another look that I'll do that straight away on the Alpha build of NAV - thanks to you, thathagat BTW, for providing me with the link. :D :D

EDIT: Aww... the beta-downloader seem to fail to download. :( It'll just be null-byte and won't appear on my desktop. Will test with IE...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  14. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Symantec says “we are shooting for July 2nd for the public beta launch” (see here).

15. raven211

Fair enough - not far away, so... :D Thanks, Pleonasm.

16. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

17. gery

gery Registered Member

what about Norton 360?

18. raven211

360 is always released later compared to the "only-security" products. It's always a bit behind and is released around new-year change. ;)

19. raven211

20. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

It worked for me, they sent me the key and i could download.

NIS: Registration
    NAV: Registration

After filling out the form, your are presented with the download links i posted above.

BTW does anybody know how they normally handle the keys with betas? I own NIS2009 with 283 days of subscription remaining, i won't mess up my paid key if i plug it in the beta would i?

21. zfactor

cant use the reg key with the beta the beta is normally only good for 15 days

22. huwyngr

huwyngr Registered Member

Those images are not valid.

23. huwyngr

huwyngr Registered Member

It's not that they are uncertain but that they have set up the framework for when the beta is released -- July 2 hoped for as someone here has quoted.

Last time I went to that site it still said Coming Soon and if you went to the download page where you had to accept the terms and conditions they were blank and if you nevertheless accepted the blank check you got an error page that you could not reach the download page.

Let's see what happens tomorrow July 2 .......

24. raven211

Yeah, I know. :D But thanks for noting. ;)

25. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Thanks zfactor that's good to know, i didn't want to risk nuking my +280 day key in to a 15 day one by plugging it in to the beta.

It's odd they don't allow paid keys in the beta, 2010 seems quite stable so i'd like to keep running it instead of reverting to NIS09 after 15 days.

Another odd thing, i just clicked the download link again (just to see if it was still working) and got told my country cannot access the beta due to government restrictions. But yesterday i got my 2010 key and download fine, however i just clicked the download link a second time to read the restriction message again and the download started. :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.