NIS 2014 as stand-alone ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hodka, Feb 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodka

hodka Registered Member

I would like some advice on internet security. I have a new PC with Windows 7 (64 bit), and I use the internet quite a lot and regularly download from P2P / Torrent sites, therefore often come across malware.

I already have Norton Internet Security 2014 so I was wondering if this is sufficient as a stand-alone product or if I should add something else?

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I would install Malwarebytes also.

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

For real-time protection NIS is enough. As on-demand I would add MBAM, HitmanPro and maybe Emsisoft Emergency Kit. Before installing anything I would scan installer with all of them and also upload it on Virustotal. You can also use VirusTotal Uploader to check installers.

hqsec

4. AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup Security Expert

Tell that to the users that get infected while running NIS alone

Nothing is perfect and there is always risk when using a computer. Plenty of posts and links on how to help secure your computer online. Antivirus and Antimalware are only one aspect of security.

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I would suggest adding Malwarebytes Antimalware, Hitman Pro and an imaging software for backup. Also not clicking on everything on a webpage and being careful when downloading from the internet and using Flash drives protect against malware quite well.

6. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Like one other, NIS and MBAM-Pro (Malwarebytes) should be fine unless you browse risky areas. My wife and one son in college are on NIS and MBAM-Pro and haven't had any problems...protected for 2 years now and it's light. Everyone has their own preference...try it.

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Would tell them but don't know any. I know many users that use it (or any other AV) and don't get infected. They are all doing great without any additional layers of defence.

hqsec

8. m0use0ver

m0use0ver Registered Member

Depends on the end users surfing habits and their knowledge.

No way i would recommend NIS to any average joe users.

Norton/Symantec do not protect against PUP installs as policy.

For most average users (those less knowledgable then security forum readers)this is exposing them to whole heap of rubbish pushed on the web that they dont want on their computers.

9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

They sure don't. Their forums are full of people with unwanted programs installed. When set to exclude each other's directories, NIS and MBAM Pro seems to run fine without any conflicts I have encountered. Or any slowdowns I have noticed.

10. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I have used Zemana Antilogger paid and the free version without any noticeable differences. I have two Dell 64 bit computers with Windows 8.1 installed. Some of the NIS components aren't fully operational on 64 bit computers unless you are using a 32 bit computer.

11. DX2

DX2 Guest

Use unchecky for pups.

12. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

+1

Internet Security + Malwarebytes Pro + HitmanPro + clean image + careful browsing=win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.