NIS 2013 replacement??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SPRINTMAN, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPRINTMAN

SPRINTMAN Registered Member

No infections from NIS 2009-2012 but plenty since the 'upgrade' to NIS 2013. Sadly it appears Symantec have well and truly lost the plot. I use MBAM as a standalone scanner, with W7-32 bit, IE10. I just want a single product to replace NIS 2013, any ideas welcome?

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

MBAM is not a complete standalone solution against all threats. Use some trustworthy antivirus/security suite/protection tools to complement it.

3. SPRINTMAN

That's why my post said!

4. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

I suggest you have a good look at this site http://www.av-comparatives.org/
    Everyone here their own personal preferences,if it turns into a A versus B type thread , it will be closed.
    Perhaps if you are drawn to a particular product, folk can give specific info.
    I would strongly suggest using the Norton removal tool to remove your current AV, and to try out any trials before purchasing. One product may have better detection, but might not suit your system :)
    You could also look into additional layers of security, like sandboxie, appguard etc

5. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Me too... I suggest you to first remove Norton normally, from "programs and features", and then, after reboot, use Norton removal tool (you can find it here: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146.

6. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Maybe the OP has a clean image/snapshot and doesn't need to remove NIS at all.
    If you have some money to spend,try Kaspersky Internet Security and Avast Internet Security.If you want free,try Comodo Internet Security.

7. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Replacement depends on multi-factor, e.g., your system/laptop, surfing habit, personal choice. Personally, KIS and NIS, both are good in my view (of course with few tweaks in settings). Go to http://www.av-comparatives.org/ as recommended by mick92z... :)

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I would recommend trying Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security (or the complete version if you want the password option). It's lighter on the system than NIS in my experience and it's really nice that they have a section here in Wilders with responsive customer support.

9. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I use to check Symantec's forums to see what Norton is missing and I have to say that it has never been as placid as it is right now, if you don't count bug reports of course, lol.

Some months ago half of the threads were about Norton missing the ZeroAccess rootkit or the FBI ramsonware. It was a bit scary for Symantec users.

Anyway, if I had to move from Norton I would install either Kaspersky or Avira + Mamutu + ExploitShield.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned BitDefender yet.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

My three all time favorites: avast! IS, webroot secureanywhere and emsisoft internet security pack.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The million dollar question . . .
    Paid or Free? :D

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yeah, that's what he needs, ie more choices :) Eventually every available AV will be recommended by someone :D

14. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! Try the newly released G-Data I.S.2014...only catch under 4gigs of ram...recommend using as Stand Alone Only...above 4gigs...HMP...MBAM...as a layered solution only. And probably on demand...only. Sincerely...Securon

15. itman

itman Registered Member

I don't especially like NIS 2013 and no lover of Symantec but I have been using NIS 2013 for 6 months and have had not one infection. Far cry from when I was using Comodo as my firewall and Avast free as my AV.

Curious as to what malware you have encountered running NIS 2013. Also did you do a clean install of NIS 2013 or an upgrade from NIS 2012.

16. SPRINTMAN

Either. Money isnt an issue. tks..s

17. SPRINTMAN

Various trojans etc. Upgrade from NIS 2012.

18. itman

itman Registered Member

I personally believe IS suites should be installed from scratch after installing the old version and running the vendor's clean utility. More so in NIS 2013 case since the product was rushed to production and was buggy as hell in the initial releases.

Also I always run Symantec products at their most aggressive settings. Learned that one years ago when I used the commercial Endpoint product.

Finally, the OS is factor. It may wll be that NIS 2013 is not as effective on XP as it is on WIN 7. The only PC I have NIS 2013 installed is a WIN 7 box. All the other PCs with XP I have NIS installed on used older versions.

19. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

WSA AntiVirus. The entry level product in Webroot's line-up yet contains all you need - antivirus, antispyware, antiphishing, firewall and more.

20. SPRINTMAN

W7 32-bit, and settings to Agressive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.