NIS 2011 and NAV 2011 have been officially released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ace11, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

2. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

What is the best combination?

1 - Only NIS 2011
    2 - NAV 2011 + Windows Firewall
    3 - NAV 2011 + Online Armor Free

Thanks.

3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

NIS 2011 only with DefenseWall/Sandboxie.

4. Emy

Emy Registered Member

Go with NIS 2011 only, no need for additional real-time protection.

5. ExtremeGamerBR

I forgot to mention one thing, I'm giving preference to performance and will use one of these combinations on my laptop, so I'm not sure if it's the NIS or NAV which is lighter.

6. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

If you decide to use OA in conjunction with NAV (even with both apps excluding each other) you will get multiple 'Medium' level threat preventions noted in the NAV history logs related to a OASRV. There does not appear to be any outward signs of conflict just NAV warning that OA is trying to access NAV protected programme files. They worked together OK for me but I was always just that bit wary they would start fighting just when they were needed. Still use both on different set-ups but not in combo.

If you want free FW/Hips combo private firewall works OK for me with NAV but if you don't want/need HIPS I'd stick with NIS. Insight and Sonar really cut down the need for other apps but perhaps SBIE which works extremely well with both NIS and NAV would add another layer if you are concerned about gaps in Norton protection capabilities.

I've never noticed any difference in performance of either NAV or NIS but adding another layer may impact.

Cheers

7. ExtremeGamerBR

Your comment was very helpful, I'm as much a matter of HIPS, by the way so I'll stick with the same NIS. You took my doubts.

Thanks.

8. Boyfriend

@ExtremeGamerBR: You can add SpyShelter in your security setup for better HIPS/System monitor as well as anti-logger.

9. ExtremeGamerBR

Because I have 2 licenses (NIS is enabled on a dekstop) and NAV would I use a version of the 3 months free Symantec released. I'm not able right now to buy other software, so if both Sandboxie and SpyShelter as I could not use. Using the x64 version of Windows.

Sorry for my english.

Thanks for the help.

10. Boyfriend

@ExtremeGamerBR: SpyShelter Personal/Free edition is invaluable addition and provide all necessary anti-logger features free of cost. I am planning to add it in my security setup. More info here: SpyShelter 5.02

11. stratoc

stratoc Guest

It says the free version is only 32 bit? does this mean it just has not got native support? or it will not work?
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.