NIS 2009 Removed Malware Without Asking. I Think.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

correct bunkhouse thats my arguement as well. and the deleted files were not even stored in quarantine so if they were in fact fp's and i need to restore them (say a system file etc) they were not moved to quarantine first so then id be screwed..imo if they have a setting to NOT DELETE AUTOMATICALLY then that should be what it does it should ask what to do. if not then the need a option like others have to ask the user what to do

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

lowest fp's doesn't equal zero fp's:-it only takes a couple to screw your pc up,what if one was a critical windows file on a pc running without system files being protected??

3. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Correct. If I am using Eset or Avira (two that I use on a rotating basis) and they find some malware they ask me what to do. I do not allow them to automatically delete anything as a critical system file may be the one deleted. I understand that many average users may not want to make a whole lot of decisions about malware, but, if a system file is taken out and you cannot boot your computer- there is a big problem.

4. ace11

ace11 Registered Member

setting to NOT DELETE AUTOMATICALLY
    is reffering to archive (i.e. compressed) files only !!!

plz read carefully the text assosiated with this option in NIS2009 setting.

:cool:

5. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi Bunkhouse Buck :)

Totally Agree! ;)

Symantec has done the same kind of thing with NIS 09 in quite a few areas :mad:

1/ Idle Scanning
    Turning This OFF .. Will actually only turn the Idle Full System Scan - OFF
    All the other Idle Jobs / Scans .. Will Still Run! o_O

2/ Scheduled Scans
    You Can! ... But Not Really!
    My God! ... Symantec have made a Pigs Ear of this function :rolleyes:
    And Using - Windows Task Scheduler
    Is this really a good idea?
    Not To Mention...
    We've paid Symantec to use what we already had.

I wonder how many other of the many functions in NIS 09 ... Are - Not Really's? :mad:

6. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Something to read.

Merry Christmas.

http://norton.lithium.com/norton/bo...&thread.id=8184&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

As far as setting anti-virus detections to quarantine but not delete, this is not an available option. Most users are not advanced users, and we are concerned with them leaving malicious files on their system.

For low risk items you can choose Ask Me and you will be prompted to decide what to do with detected items.

For medium/high risk items that were automatically removed (or low risk items you chose to remove), you can restore these from Quarantine if you decide it is a false detection. For risks that are not exclusively malware, when you restore, you can exclude them from future scans.

For the "Remove Infected Files Automatically" option, this is only for compressed files, as you thought.

First page:
    Internet settings (program control) & antivirus settings in NIS2009
    http://norton.lithium.com/norton/bo...&thread.id=8184&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Several posts removed from this thread. Let's focus on the thread topic in a civil manner.

8. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

A) Blocked malware is not quarientined. To put it bluntly, they are blocked from execution; therefore they cannot be quarientined.

B) Medium and High Risk items are automatically quarientined.

C) There is an option for user-interaction with Low risk items.

As for heruistically detected and disinfected malware, they are quarientined, and put in a folder on your local system called "BASH"; behavioral and security heuristics.

As for FPs; I have never had one from Norton to date; started using around March this year.

9. forumhound

forumhound Registered Member

Sadly, I am going to remove my trial of NIS 2009 because I would prefer to be asked before the program deletes my files.

10. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

I dont see what the big deal is. If it makes a mistake, then you can remove it from quarantine. Norton has the lowest FP rate of all AVs tested so its least likely to make a mistake.

Imagine popping up an alert to grandma and asking here "C:\asdhjer.exe" has detected as Botox.D.. what do YOU want to do because Product XXX (with all their experience) sure as hell doesn't know". How do you think she is going to respond ?

I think popping up alerts is ridiculous for high risk threats.

11. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Zombini,

I have changed my thinking on the issue- and I agree with you. NIS is now working super for me. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.