NIS 2009 Full System Scan time

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bunkhouse Buck, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

one of the questions I had during testing that never got answered had to do with the pulse updates. Norton in the past always did a one update per day & it didn't contain that many definitions...where does all the updates come from?, I mean are they for real?, are that many updates needed or is it just for show?,

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

What I understand it that instead of waiting to release updates of definitions all at one time they now release defs as the become available hence checking updates every few minutes instead of once a day.

3. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I guess your right but that seems like an lot of new? defs every hour...

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The thing is it might not update everytime it checks, but I am sure it does most of the time. There has to be a lot of updates since there is a lot of malware being written and showing up in the world :(

5. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

I have roughly 101,000 files on my harddrives, with zip,rar,iso, whatever files. NIS 2009 scans inside archives, so i guess the 563,666 sounds right for the "real" amount of files.

So would I :)

I doubt they can make that amount of "xtra files"....but hell, you never know.o_O

I'll do that later, but I'm pretty sure it will show about the same as my manual scan with NIS. Eset Smart Security, as far as I remember, scan about the same amount as the manual scan with NIS.

Thanks for the input, guys.
    Let time tell if NIS will stay on my rig, or if it will be replaced with my "beloved" old ESS :D

Cheers

6. tiinkka

tiinkka Registered Member

Thanks for responding but this hints at what i suspected in that this may as well (for all the information available) be nothing of no more substance than a ping.
    Comparing it to Nod where you get an update number/ date /list of what detections contained therin. makes a mere timestamp look fairly useless.

7. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

I don't recall getting anything but timestamp with any Norton product. For signature version, you always had to go to Help - About or something like that, and as for signatures changelog, I suspect no such thing exists w/ Symantec.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.