NIS 2009 - early load option

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Victek, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding the "early load" option in NIS 2009, I wonder if it is useful to turn it ON? You would think so, but I've read that NIS turns it ON automatically when needed. Then again, if that's the case why was the option included?

2. houaus

houaus Registered Member

You might find this thread informative:

http://community.norton.com/norton/..._feedback&message.id=7669&query.id=3849#M7669

Pertinent info from Symantec employee from thread:

"AutoProtect always loads at system start, the difference is how early.
    If you enable early load, AP will start immediately after the filesystem drivers load, this allows AP to scan other drivers as they load.

The downside to early load is that it makes the boot slower because more files are scanned.

AP early load will automatically turn on after any threat is found that requires a reboot to remediate.

Once the machine again scans clean, the previous setting is restored."

I haven't found the early load option to slow down my boot time, but I'm sure experiences may vary.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the link. I'm aware of that discussion thread and decided to post here because it seemed inconclusive. No one (including the Symantec employee) could definitively say that the system is just as safe with the early load option OFF. I thought that maybe the folks here who were involved in the beta testing could speak to this issue. I'm not concerned about the few seconds of additional boot time.

4. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

If you are not concerned with the boot up taking a bit longer, then I suggest you enable it. It won't hurt to have additional files scanned by NAV/NIS during boot up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.