NIS 2008

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Howard Kaikow, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Opinions on NIS 2008 on Vista?

I'm getting a free copy because I purchased NIS 2007 and never used the critter.

2. denniz

denniz Registered Member

I'm using NIS 2008 on Vista 32-bit and I like it. It runs real smooth, has a nice feature set and is easy to use. With standard settings NIS 2008 is super silent, it never asks you anything and takes care of itself. But for the people who prefer it, you can also tweak the settings so that NIS 2008 will often show confirmation pop-ups where the user can decide what to do.

3. Howard Kaikow

Thanx.

Previously, I;ve always used a plain AV, not an IS, so Iwill have to twrak quite a bit.

Is it possible to eliminate the Norton Protection Center, or is that no longer in the product?

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I agree that it's a good choice for those who want a product that is mostly silent. You do have to remember to check the firewall if you have connection problems though. Sometimes it will make incorrect choices and block things it shouldn't. Whenever people running NIS have connection problems I always turn off the firewall to see if the problem goes away. If it does then I go in and tweak specific application settings.

5. denniz

denniz Registered Member

I never used NIS 2007, but there is something called Norton Protection Center in NIS 2008, it looks like this:

NIS2008p1.jpg

NIS2008p2.jpg

6. Howard Kaikow

Actually, I gave up on Norton back with NAV 6 and Ghost 10,
    Too buggy and, worse, intrusive.

I would turn off a lot of the stuff in an IS, such as spam and phishing filters, and, if present, the Norton Protection Zone.

I really want nothing more than AV and firewall protection.

Trial version of NIS 2008 came pre-installed on a notebook I purchased on 31 May 2008. Symantec is giving me a free 1 year (3 system) license since I have an unused retail NIS 2007 license.

7. Howard Kaikow

THanx, looks like I have to do my homework.
    I was not impressed with the NIS 2008 manual I downloaded today.
    Hopefully, there's more info on the CD.

8. denniz

denniz Registered Member

If you want both the firewall and the AV, then I recommend leaving all protection options on. They really don't bother you at all, and are integrated nicely with each other.

Here's a screenshot of the options:

NIS2008p3.jpg

NIS2008p4.jpg

9. denniz

denniz Registered Member

The network map is also nice, since NIS 2008 has a license which allows you to install it on 3 computers, NIS 2008 will detect other NIS 2008 versions on your home network. Off course you can disable this feature if you don't like it.

NIS2008p5.jpg

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Norton 2008 is what I am running on my Vista Home Premium and it runs very very light and seems to be doing a good job. I would highly recommend it.

bigc

11. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Tried for a while on Vista Business. Interface is fine, system resources usage is low enough , Detection...I don't even want to talk about it:thumbd: .

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Just curious as to where you get your information that Nortons detection rate is subpar. All of the testing sites and reviews I hav seen and read seem to contradict your thoughts. Actually Nortons detections are very good. Even the older versions of norton had good detections they just ran heavy on the machine. But now Norton has fixed the heavy resource use and now has a good product.

bigc

13. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Care to share where you got this information? All the reviews I read showed that Norton's detection is actually quite good. It may not be the best, but even for the so-called "best" products often mentioned here on Wilders I've read some "bad" reviews...

14. emperordarius

I don't want to say bad things about those reviews, but my experience with Symantec is different. Instalation was fine, no errors at all. The computer ran faster than v 2007. And the scan, very fast too. I installed it on my father's business computer. No virus warnings. Automatic updating ran fine. Then my father told me that his computer started running slowly, and every time he run windows a file called temp.exe "had encountered an error and needed to close". I also noticed some worms in his USB, that Symantec didn't find. Full system scan also showed only a few tracking cookies. I decided to try something else. I installed the AVPTool, run a scan. 120 trojans found. Run Ewido Anti Spyware, other 34 backdoors found. Took Avira, to scan the USB. 345 worms found.

I don't how reviewers test their software, but this is not the first time that I experience this type of things with Symantec Products. I have this problems on my school computers, Norton Endpoint Security Installed, updated, and our USB flash drives continue to get infected every day. On the PCs of a lot of my friends, (using Norton 200:cool: over 50 trojans are always found.

This is my experience, and I'm not lying. I had nothing against Symantec, until I found it virtually useless on every PC I found it. Still every day, I test every new version of it, but I don't see any big improvement. Sometimes some heuristic improvement, but still very small (the only heuristic detection I saw was a false positive).

That's why I would never reccomend Symantec as an antivirus, (not even if it had a lifetime license) as well as other antiviruses with which I had similar experiences, but that I don't think I'm allowed to mention.

*One last thing. The only website that my father opened was Yahoo! Mail.*

That's all I had to say.

15. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

We are close I also want AV, FW and hips. Everything else is just unnecessary CPU load (for me).

Sorry for the out of topic, but I have 3 unused (in the box) Norton Anti-Virus 2003, in my company. Can I also exchange them with something? I know that I react to this a bit late (eh 5 years :rolleyes: ) but you reminded me of it and I thought I maybe get a new license in exchange of 3 boxed Norton 2003 or are they completely useless now?

16. Howard Kaikow

In the case of NIS/NAV 2007, which required XP, the offer was for a free upgrade to a version that suppoted Vista.

As I recall, I purchased NIS 2007 in Nov 2006.
    Since it was unused, Symantec gave me a free upgrade to 2008.

As far as an upgrade from 2003 is concerned, don't be bashful, call Symantec and ask. Worst thing, they say no.

17. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Your right there :argh: :thumb:

Guess im one of the few that hasent had any infections with norton ;)

Btw. why cant we ever have any Norton threat without been overrun by some peopele who only wish to complain about (I've seen a lot infected computers with more and and less known brands protecting - but that dosent make me join every thread concerning them and talk about that. There's no point in that). I have an idea - make a "Norton bash thread" and every time you want to complain - go there and bash all you want. Then the mature people can discuss their toppics in peace without all these off-topic-bashing-thread destructive comments.

Just an idea :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  18. denniz

denniz Registered Member

All that from using Yahoo mail? I wonder what kind of emails he got... :eek:

19. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Most are jealous because of Symantec's size and prefer the smaller, boutique AVs promoted often here. I have never had any malware on any system protected by Norton for eight years. The 2008 NIS edition is right up there with the best as far as I am concerned.

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ive used norton in the past, and never been infected.

...so whats the problem?

surely it cant be system performance anymore?

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have had the same kind of experiences on my older computer with older versions of norton and also with norton 2008 on my friends computer recently.

22. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I decided to give NIS another go since I never had installed it on my new desktop. So far I haven't noticed any webpage "hang" yet.

But there are features missing in the x64 version:

1. No right-click scanning.
    2. No Crimeware detection option.
    3. No self-protection option.
    4. No suspicious activity monitoring or its advanced mode.

23. emperordarius

Business mail. But nowadays it's enough connecting to open the web browser to get infected..

24. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Here is what I have:

Which is bought from a reseller and never been used. Can you tell me where to call to arrange for a possible exchange?

Attached Files:

25. Howard Kaikow

Do not know whether Symantec is sending me a 32-bit or 64-bit version.

No right-click scanning would be a showstopper for me, but, due to the expected infrequent interneta ccess of the notebook, I can run full scan each night after the notebook is used on the internet.

Also, I have KAV 7 on my other system. Not sure whether KAV 7 will scan a file on a networked drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.