NIS 2008 HELP

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Thesmiff, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thesmiff

Thesmiff Registered Member

Can anyone help me?:oops:

I have recently installed Norton’s Internet Security 2008. The installation went well and all was working for the first week. The for no apparent reason, when LiveUpdate ran, it would start the check fro update. It would locate the server and start checking for updates. That is as far as it gets. I have left it running for a few hours, but it just will not go any further. When you press cancel, even after a few hours LiveUpdate has not closed, the CPU is running at 100% and so I have been forced to ending via Windows Task Manager and closed various processed associated with LiveUpdate.

I have gone through all the FAQ’s on the Symantec site. I have downloaded and install the latest version of LiveUpdate.

I have also uninstall NIS 2008, not just using the normal uninstall route but the Norton’s Removal Tool as well. (Even when you use this, there are still many files and registry entries left on you computer.)

After the last uninstall I have manually deleted the files and subdirectory found in c:\program files\common files\symantec shared. I have then manually removed all entries I could find to Symantec in the registry and rebooted. Having done that I have then reinstalled NIS 2008 and the problem is still there.

I have emailed Symantec’s support, done all that they have said, and it seems that they have run out of ideas and have stopped communicating with me.

Has anyone had this difficulty and has anyone got any other ideas PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

have you gone to the Norton site and used the autofix tool. also run ccleaner.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

This seems familiar to NIS: 2003, 2004 & 2005 :eek: Have you tried re-installing over-top the location of the previous install?

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It's a shot in the dark, but you could try downloading all of the available updates with your browser and installing them manually. That might get things unstuck. You could also switch Live Update from Interactive to Express mode and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2008
  5. Michael York

Michael York Registered Member

Hi Thesmiff,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your post. The first thing I would suggest that you do is to run the Norton Removal Tool, reboot, run it again, reboot and then run it one more time. This tool works great usually, but sometimes there are processes running that cause some files to get stuck and do not get deleted until you run the Norton Removal Tool 2-3 times, making sure that you restart after you run it every time.

In regards to reinstalling Norton Internet Security 2008 there are a few tips that you should know.

First, make sure that you do not have any other third party virus or internet security products running when you are ready to reinstall Norton Internet Security 2008 to avoid any conflicts. Secondly, make sure that your internet connection is working properly prior to reinstalling. Towards the end of the installation of Norton Internet Security 2008, LiveUpdate will run and download any available program and definition updates. If your internet connection is not working properly, LiveUpdate will fail.

Also, by default the 2008 version of Norton Internet Security has Automatic LiveUpdate enabled, meaning that as long as you are logged in to Windows, and your internet connection is working, LiveUpdate will run in the background and check for updates several times per day.

Please try to follow the steps I presented above reply back to this thread and let me know if you have successfully reinstalled the software.

Thanks,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.