NIS 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ankupan, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

How is antivirus/anyspyware/antitrojan/antimalware protection in NIS 2007?

What about Firewall Protection in NIS 2007?

Is there any need of other software with this suite ?

I search on forum for NIS and went upto 5 pages. But need user views, who is are using it.

Please post your comments.

2. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

I tested it for a couple days and wasn't too impressed myself. Although it is quite light in terms of RAM usage and cpu usage, it takes up a truckload of disk space and the disk usage is through the roof. I just left the laptop for 30 mins doing absolutely nothing and the disk just kept croacking away as if I was installing 15 programs at once. In terms of malware, I think the AV is fine, the firewall is a bit weak but for the most part OK, the ad-blocking and other stuff might annoy you or be a blessing - you should trial it first to get an idea.

In terms of real malware, I have my own little collection that includes some pretty recent (this month) malware which, for the most part, is undetected by all but 2 or 3 AVs. NIS found most of it, but seemed to have trouble with the ones it missed. I know one particular malware ended up just shutting down NIS and proceeded to hog my bandwidth downloading whatever it does. I should add that this was run in VM so results might differ on a real PC, but not really by much to be honest. Also note some stuff like ad-blocking requires downloading of an add-on pack.

To sum up, NIS was quite re-assuring in the way it blocked malware via the internet, removed banner ads, stopped phishing sites - but like other AVs, I'm not convinced of its performance against new undetected malware. Well, the exception here is KAV and its PDM, and F-secure and its deepguard. And to some extent NOD32's heuristics which seems to be in alot of those "2 or 3 AVs".

3. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

When I used NIS 2007 I was very sattisfied with how it was working on my PC. Actually this version of NIS is the first one I haven't noticed any slowdowns. In teh terms of malware protection there is no much to say about this company. It's very strong, even in the spyware and adware protection.
    Maybe this isn' so important but I liked the option, if I can remember right, it was in the quarantine section, or logs where I could find all the files and registry keys related to the malware removed by Norton. I haven't seen anything similar to this option in any antivirus product so far.

The best way is to download trial from the Norton site and use it for 15 days and see if it works well on Your computer.

Best Regards.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

one of, if not the best suite available.

all components works flawlessly, and now with low cpu and ram usage.

my brother uses this, and he usually changes AV every few weeks because something goes wrong, however he tried norton 2007 and now has a licence for it, and still (3 months) has had no problems, for him.... this is outstanding. :eek:

5. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

That has been my experience with NIS 2007.

6. ankupan

what about your experience !!

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Come on man, trial it. Take the plunge. :p

8. ankupan

Hi,

I installed it and tried this for 48 hrs.

But I am not happy with it too. NIS is OK OK.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  9. ankupan

I am using Thunderbird and when I downloading, some times it is taking too much time.

Than I need to close Tb and after it is working.

When I spoke to my email hosting provider than I got information that
    TB and NIS is having issue(conflict).

is it true ? anybody facing same problem ?

10. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Hi ankupan,

Try to disable e-mail scanning in NIS and see if there are some differencies?
    If there are then You will know that the problem is in conflict between NIS and Tb, if there is not then I would advice that You download the latest build of Tb and see if the problem still is present?

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

TB ans NIS 2007 work fine for me, I have never seen this issue on my computer.

12. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

The problem with Norton products is they are just too expensive. Better cheaper solutions can be found elsewhere.

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

because norton are such a big antivirus, there are many legitimate good prices, CHEAPPPP ones, on ebay.

14. Siro

Siro Registered Member

I used the trial version of NIS 2007 and was extremely happy with it and its detection rate and was extremely light on resources.The only complain I wish was to have more control over the firewall component rest of the suite is amazing and recommended to anyone worth the money :)

15. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

you can, i browsed around through the settings when i used it and it has an "annoy the hell out of me" mode

16. Siro

Siro Registered Member

Well I never used it for that long but its "annoy the hell out of me" mode would sure be interesting to use :)

17. ankupan

Hi,

I installed NIS 2007 on my friend laptops, its working great and even speed is also fine and he is happy with its performance.

Can some one post a link, for cheap buying of NIS 2007 ??

He need download buying, no box packing.

Waiting for comments.

18. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

I didn't know it was capable of any mode other than the "annoy the hell out of me" mode.

19. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

norton by default is silent, it won't popup for much firewall related stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.